Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

LA Times:TSA ends contract with Rapiscan, maker of full-body scanners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LA Times:TSA ends contract with Rapiscan, maker of full-body scanners

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by bigmac3011
The TSA will remove all 174 backscatter scanners from the 30 airports they're used in now. Another 76 are in storage. It has 669 of the millimeter wave machines it is keeping, plus options for 60 more, TSA spokesman David Castelveter said.

Not all of the machines will be replaced. Castelveter said that some airports that now have backscatter scanners will go back to having metal detectors. That's what most airports used before scanners were introduced.
Splendid. I wonder how much that experiment cost us, in addition to the years of privacy invasion.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Let's not celebrate too soon...

TSA has contracted with L-3, Smiths Group Plc (SMIN) and American Science & Engineering Inc. (ASEI) for new body-image scanners, all of which must have privacy software. L-3 and Smiths used millimeter-wave technology. American Science uses backscatter...
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...-airports.html
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cbn42
Unfortunately, this may help the TSA suppress dissent. Some people, for whatever reasons, would opt out of the backscatter but not the MMW, so opt outs will now go down and public acceptance of body scanners as a whole will increase.
That's exactly where the TSA wants to end up. That's why the spin on the story is privacy rather than radiation. of course, no responsible media organization will raise the issue of radiation. if not, the TSA will count on Americans' short attention span and that we will forget that the TSA irradiated us.

Originally Posted by spyvsspy
Is the removal an admission of unsafe, ineffective or illegal use of these machines?
See above...The TSA spun this as 100% about privacy.

Originally Posted by Gambleballs
Splendid. I wonder how much that experiment cost us, in addition to the years of privacy invasion.
Originally Posted by goalie
And yet again, our tax dollars have been wasted well spent by the TSA
I don't know exactly how the TSA ended the "relationship" with Rapiscan. That will directly affect how much this will cost us. If this were simply that the TSA decided not to exercise another option year in the contract, there won't be any additional cost (for the contract). If they are terminating for cause and/or convenience, the taxpayers will have to pay termination costs, which could be as high as the remaining price of the contract.

Just off the top of my head, here are the general categories of costs that we taxpayers are fixing to pay:

1. Remaining costs of the Rapiscan contract, whatever they are;
2. Removal of the Cancer Boxes, transportation costs to the warehouse, and facility costs required to fill the holes in airport floors x 174
3. Secure and environmentally-controlled storage costs at warehouses.
4. Removal of all supporting hardware and software X 174 + dismantling and facility repair for all Voyeur Booths.
5. Cost of procuring, installing, checking out, and maintaining 174 new MMW NOSs
6. Of course, there will be "retraining..."

My rough guess is in the tens of millions.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
I'll be surprised if the public has a short memory about this. It was seared into "everyman's" experience, and "everyman" turns out to be right vs. The Man. Great narrative theme with high production values. Which the media thrives on. It feels to me like we're on the cusp of a scandal. Paging Mr. Chertoff. Anyway, more...

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,2459257.story
Old Jan 19, 2013, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by RussianTexan
Hmmmmm. Guess no one noticed Deepak Chopra after all.
I did - he's a different person.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 3:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
WillCAD, you raise an interesting point (and one I am not able to answer myself).

I'm an involuntary medical 'opt-out' - I get the full-body grope every single time I fly because I can't assume and hold the position - in either the BSX or MMW.

If someone 'alarms' the ATR and the problem area is the crotch, buttocks, breasts - do the screeners then still have to call for an assist?
Old Jan 19, 2013, 3:48 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by WillCAD
Hey,

3) Since ATR is entirely software based, it provides the manufacturers with an almost guaranteed revenue stream in the future. See, a NoS is a machine that can remain in place for years; it could conceivably last a decade or more. Which means that, once every airport has them, TSA won't be buying very many of them any more. But once every airport has them, then TSA WILL be buying maintenance contracts on them, and paying for software upgrades, add-ons, and bug fixes, in perpetuity. It's a win-win for both the agency, who gets to spew a line of cowflop about how they "continuously update their scanners to the most cutting-edge detection technology", and for the manufacturer, who gets carloads of money to install these upgrades and fix scanners that someone leaned on and broke the Gumby panel.

So, like most things in life, ATR is a trade-off. I'm generally for it, because it reduces the possibility of someone actually peering at my naked body without my permission to near-zero (as opposed to the perv box method, which was a 100% guarantee). But you have to take the good with the bad, I guess.
A number of government contracts for devices that have embedded software also carry a separate licensing arrangement for the software. Sometimes that means an annual payment for use, sometimes it's an indefinite license with additional payments for maintenance and upgrades. Depending on how the contract is written, there may be unlimited government rights to the source, which is an entirely different kettle o' fish.

Originally Posted by chollie
WillCAD, you raise an interesting point (and one I am not able to answer myself).

I'm an involuntary medical 'opt-out' - I get the full-body grope every single time I fly because I can't assume and hold the position - in either the BSX or MMW.

If someone 'alarms' the ATR and the problem area is the crotch, buttocks, breasts - do the screeners then still have to call for an assist?
in many of the airports I travel through there are 2 screeners (one male, one female) stationed at the exit of the strip-search machine.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 4:14 pm

I would really like to know the true back story behind this (not that we ever will).
The rumor running around DC is that TSA was concerned about the levels of radiation the backscatter machines emitted - but they will never admit it.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
in many of the airports I travel through there are 2 screeners (one male, one female) stationed at the exit of the strip-search machine.
When I tell the 'traffic director' that I can't assume and hold the NoS position, I always get told that makes me an 'opt out' - and I am often warned that I will have to wait for an assist and that it may be 'some time' before one is available. When I've dared to ask why someone else standing around can't do it, I've been told that not everyone is trained to do the full-body grope (my words, not TSA's).

Depending on checkpoint layout (view of bags), I have begun saying nothing until I am in the NoS. When the NoS monitor tells me to assume the position, then I explain that I'm not able to. Interestingly, when I do it that way, there's always an available 'assist' right by the NoS who does the full-body grope.

Just coincidence?

(Slightly OT: when I get directed to the NoS and I tell the 'traffic director' that I can't assume the position, I always get the full-body grope, and I always get a full bag search. When I wait until I am in the NoS to announce my limitations, I don't get the bag search.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by halls120
The rumor running around DC is that TSA was concerned about the levels of radiation the backscatter machines emitted - but they will never admit it.
Too bad some of us older folk won't be around in 20 years or so when the government has to admit that many cases of cancer and deaths among former TSA screeners were caused by these vile machines.

I suppose neither Chertoff or Pistole are losing any sleep over this.

Both need to be prosecuted for crimes against the American people.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
I'm not generally a conspiracy theorist / black helicopter guy but I have little doubt that this is plausible, and the following from the Washington Post piece only reinforces my suspicions:

A person familiar with the machines, who has done contract work for the TSA and therefore spoke on the condition of anonymity, said the agency may harbor concerns about the radiation danger that contributed to this week’s decision.

“I suspect they may have had additional concerns that they’re not talking about,” the person said. “I believe they feel politically uncomfortable going back on their previous statements.”
Old Jan 19, 2013, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Neil35
I am happy to see the x-ray NoS junked. Privacy issue is bad enough, but the health issue is an even bigger concern to me.
New xray scanners are being bought. The only difference is that the new xray scanners will have privacy software.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 7:23 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Again backscatters are not going away, just being replaced with a different brand.
Very distressing, but doesn't address the FOIA issue since the new ones are ATR.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 7:28 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It all smells to high heaven.
How much of this do you think has to do with the notice and comment period coming up?
Old Jan 19, 2013, 8:10 pm

Actually, I think it's a 'perfect storm' of circumstances.

There's on-going pressure about the question-and-answer comment that has never really gone away, though TSA keeps ignoring the court directives, but it's a nit - TSA doesn't worry about courts.

Rapiscan got caught flat-out lying and falsifying data to make it look like progress was being made on the ATR. Rapiscan wasn't going to be selling many more scanners to airports. The real market going forward is to other customers who don't require the ATR. Rapiscan only 'loses' the small contract for the ATR - which it may, in fact, have never made a good faith effort to fulfill. It will (it says) eat the cost of shifting the BSXs from airports to other government agencies, a small cost for a company its size.

IOW, this is probably actually a good thing for Rapiscan.

AFGE made it clear it wants dosimeters for TSOs working the checkpoint. It even offered to provide the dosimeters at no cost to TSA, but TSA cited a 'regulation' that prohibits TSOs from getting dosimeters from anyone but TSA (great Catch-22, huh?) and TSA refused to fund them. Nevertheless, the fact that the union got involved in the issue probably made a few more TSOs start questioning the safety of the machines.

Put it all together: Rapiscan can't come up (and has no good reason to come up) with ATR and is possibly facing an investigation, AFGE is pushing dosimeters and asking questions, and there's still pressure about the question-and-answer period that TSA hasn't made go away in the court system.

Perfect solution: get rid of the Rapiscan BSX's. Chertoff has already gotten his main payoff, TSA can spin it as feel-good PR - respecting pax privacy, speeding the checkpoint process, no need for question-and-answer, no need for independent testing or TSO dosimeters. And....someone will get a bonus for replacing the BSXs with other scanners, some of which will still be BSXs.

The machines will still be deployed - just in places where there are no unionized employees to lobby for dosimeters and where the folks passing through aren't in a position to complain too much about privacy (prisons, government buildings), so it's still a win for Rapiscan.

This all came together quite quickly - it was just a few short months ago that TSA announced that they would move some of the BSXs from major airports to smaller airports. Suddenly that plan is called off and they're taking the BSXs out of the airports completely, immediately, even if it means WTMD only until they can replace them with MMWs and new BSXx? Something's fishy - the one thing I'm sure of is someone is getting a big payoff out of all this (and it isn't the taxpayer).

Last edited by chollie; Jan 20, 2013 at 9:54 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.