Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Temper blowout at LHR T5 - screeners lying or truthful?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Temper blowout at LHR T5 - screeners lying or truthful?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2012, 2:00 am

Check this link, for info on current Threat to U.K.

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/counter...-threat-level/
Old Dec 6, 2012, 7:59 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by GLEN36
Check this link, for info on current Threat to U.K.

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/counter...-threat-level/
Meaningless drivel from a government concerned with retaining power through scaring/terrorizing its own people. We have a similar Ministry of Truth in the USA. Both agencies should be disbanded.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 8:52 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by Spiff
Meaningless drivel from a government concerned with retaining power through scaring/terrorizing its own people. We have a similar Ministry of Truth in the USA. Both agencies should be disbanded.
CYA essentially, although TBF a domestic attack in the UK (of some scale) is considerably more likely than in the US where, for all intents, it's virtually zero.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 9:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. Need to be goal-oriented. Arguing with low-level employees working on the "line" about policy and procedure is a waste of time. All things being equal, it slows down the process by the amount of time you spend interrupting a process which you know that they are going to finish. All things not being equal, they slow it down and it takes longer.

2. If your goal is to get to your next flight, the bar or whatever, let the process go and bite your tongue.

3. If you are offended by the process, write a letter to someone who can do something about it. I can assure you to a near moral certainty that t here is no person physically present at LHR who is going to change the procedures for you, so "manager" or not, it's not worth 10-seconds.

4. Taking photos and the like is just silly. The issue at hand is simple to describe, the powers that be know what the issues are and what you are trying to avoid is easily accomplished if those powers want to.

The most effective approach is never to engage the little guy. It doesn't work.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:00 am

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
Originally Posted by SWCPHX
So is it against the law to photograph screening procedures in the UK or screening personnel without consent or permission?
As a general point of UK law...

It is certainly not *permitted*, and unlike the US there is not a constitutional right to photograph on private property (which an airport is). (It is legal to photograph on public land e.g. on the street, but an airport is not a public place for those purposes).

Assuming no other law exists, which it may well do, the situation would be that as soon as you took photographs on private property having been told not to (there are almost always no-photography signs in airport screening areas) you would be trespassing, and thus reasonable force may be used to remove you from the premises as you are no longer welcome.

Neil
Old Dec 6, 2012, 10:11 am

If you want to leave the US and travel to a country where your return trip through security at the airport can be just as much hassle as if you had never left the US, I wholeheartedly recommend flying through LHR. Not a fan.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:36 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by Often1
3. If you are offended by the process, write a letter to someone who can do something about it.
Assuming such a person exists, otherwise this too is a waste of your time.

Guess which.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by celle
What a rant! How many times have you been through British Security?

And, don't forget that many of the security procedures are done at the insisitence of the USA.
I have keep avoided at U.K Airport. I never go through British security. Because it's worst. The behavior that doesn't change. I never gone through British security. They doesn't have a capable enough.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 2:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Assuming such a person exists, otherwise this too is a waste of your time.

Guess which.
Then, do nothing. Doesn't change the fact that it's, at best, pointless to engage people in debates who, even if they were motivated to effect change, won't.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Me, I don't like stupid games, nor will I support a nation that engages in this ridiculous, panty-waisted idiocy. My money and myself go to other nations.
So why are you living in the US still? We have just as the same idiocy called the TSA.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 6:32 pm

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
Originally Posted by N830MH
I have keep avoided at U.K Airport. I never go through British security. Because it's worst. The behavior that doesn't change. I never gone through British security. They doesn't have a capable enough.
So you know nothing about it.

How do you know it's the worst if you haven't experienced it? You're not qualified to judge.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 3:22 am

Drivel ? America had 9/11 U.K had 7/7
Old Dec 7, 2012, 5:06 am

Drivel ? America had 9/11 U.K had 7/7
BFD.

(Big Furry Deal)

Stuff happens. I don't want to be "protected" from such exceedingly low-probability events by having my liberty destroyed.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 8:06 am

What do you base the assumption of Low Probability on?
I suggest, that the intelligence services know a lot more than we do.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 9:06 am

What do you base the assumption of Low Probability on?
Current and past events. Terrorism is and will be very, very rare.

I suggest, that the intelligence services know a lot more than we do.
Then they should act to prevent, not harass the innocent.

The procedures used by TSA and DfT demonstrate they know little or nothing.

Last edited by Spiff; Dec 7, 2012 at 10:26 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.