Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Opting out in Amsterdam

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by RedSnapper
Only MMWs are used in AMS. They are no more apt to cause cancer than the monitor you are looking at right now.
I would only add to your comment the phrase, "as we understand it now, when the MMW is operating properly."

Experts that I know do have the concern that 1) we are learning new things about cumulative radiation every year. Just because it is deemed safe now, my parents remember kids toys with liquid mercury. 2) The MMW is capable of producing higher energy radiation, and could theoretically do that during a malfunction. Proper testing has never been published to the scientific community.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Tried to opt out yesterday, on a US-bound flight. Agent refused and lied that MMW isn't radiation, it's sound waves.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 4:21 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
Tried to opt out yesterday, on a US-bound flight. Agent refused and lied that MMW isn't radiation, it's sound waves.
You should have escalated. AMS permits opt-out.

Looks like the "security" employee opted-out of high school physics. Or opted-in to some serious time at the coffee shop.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 8:46 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
Did you manage to avoid the strip search machine at AMS. Some of the screeners there try to talk people out of opting out and I insist that I do it for morality reasons given how the machines got peddled by the government. I opted out again last month there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.