Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry Card Refused as acceptable I.D.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2012, 3:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Diamond Hilton, Titanium Marriott, Delta DM, President Circle Herz, NIGHTS IN OWN BED 2022 28
Global Entry Card Refused as acceptable I.D.

Well flying out of MYR this morning, and was given the third degree about global entry card. Reason I always use it is i leave my wallet in my briefcase and G.E. card is in a zip pocket in the outside. Well the uneducated TSA agent stared at it forever used his magnify glass askec who issued it, then handed it back and said do have a different ID. Now things to clarify picture was updated this year, im wearing a Suit and im a diamond. You look at me and immidately think business traveler. Anyone else ever asked for different ID when using GE card.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 3:53 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Why would you expect a TSA agent to know about GE cards?

Also, most business people spell-check their work.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 4:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Diamondkellen
Well flying out of MYR this morning, and was given the third degree about global entry card. Reason I always use it is i leave my wallet in my briefcase and G.E. card is in a zip pocket in the outside. Well the uneducated TSA agent stared at it forever used his magnify glass askec who issued it, then handed it back and said do have a different ID. Now things to clarify picture was updated this year, im wearing a Suit and im a diamond. You look at me and immidately think business traveler. Anyone else ever asked for different ID when using GE card.
This sounds like an issue with TSA rather than DL.

Did you point out that GE cards are issued by the federal government? Ask for a TSA supervisor?
Old Nov 26, 2012, 4:37 am

Programs: MR Plat Premier, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Southwest CP
Originally Posted by RRDD

Also, most business people spell-check their work.
...great, now there is coffee all over my keyboard...
Old Nov 26, 2012, 4:45 am

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
Really? Being a Diamond and wearing a suit has nothing to do with GE. It is an acceptable ID, just have them look at the picture book they all have. I had an issue once here and they just said they had never seen one before, no problems since. I would never give in on this, I would make them do their job and look it up. The TSA is trained on the acceptance of those cards, don't let them off the hook.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 5:58 am

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
Being a diamond and wearing a suit speaks to a state of mind, at least if it's considered worth mentioning in a post on the topic of ID. A working man might be less inclined to give the benefit of the doubt if he thought the poster was a DYKWIA or even a bad guy dressed up in a costume. I agree with Mr. Mama...ask them to look it up since they are supposed to be aware of this form of ID. But, please do it politely and with an attitude of trying to be helpful. An attitude of, I'm wearing a suit and you're wearing a uniform does not improve the relationship between traveler and security worker.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 7:07 am

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Originally Posted by peachfront
Being a diamond and wearing a suit speaks to a state of mind, at least if it's considered worth mentioning in a post on the topic of ID. A working man might be less inclined to give the benefit of the doubt if he thought the poster was a DYKWIA or even a bad guy dressed up in a costume. I agree with Mr. Mama...ask them to look it up since they are supposed to be aware of this form of ID. But, please do it politely and with an attitude of trying to be helpful. An attitude of, I'm wearing a suit and you're wearing a uniform does not improve the relationship between traveler and security worker.
I disagree they are supposed to work for tax paying travelers
Old Nov 26, 2012, 7:12 am

So there is no doubt on this thread, yes your ID was acceptable:

TSA Acceptable IDs

Being a DM and looking like a business traveller should mean nothing to the ID checker. But the fact that you had a valid ID should.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 7:53 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I've had the occasional problem. One guy at LAX made a big deal about it, not refusing it but going on and on how he had never see one of these and calling other agents over to look at it. The line behind me was getting antsy, so I broke down and fished my drivers license out of my carry on. Another time it was flatly refused and I argued a bit but also gave in that time as well.

I don't like that my drivers license has my address on it. I stopped using my passport as ID when one agent started leafing thru it "just seeing where you've traveled." Maybe I'll get a passport card when I have to renew my passport next year.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 7:55 am

Programs: DL MM Gold
Discussed extensively in the Safety & Security forum.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Diamond Hilton, Titanium Marriott, Delta DM, President Circle Herz, NIGHTS IN OWN BED 2022 28
Good to see people still jump all over you for stating status. I only brought it up because it is TSA's job to weed through passengers to find any risk. So the person who is dressed for work, flys a lot would be considered a low risk. So much so that I was allowed not that long ago to fly without a photo ID.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 9:23 am

Programs: Delta Gold
Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
I disagree they are supposed to work for tax paying travelers
What are you disagreeing with, Aubrey? It's unclear from your post.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 9:33 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
It has happened to me twice with a NEXUS card; the clerks are trained extensively on acceptable ID's, but twice I have had clerks fail to know what it is and argue with me. Once I had four clerks, including a supervisory clerk, none of whom had ever seen one before. I've had better success lately (maybe after I complained).
Old Nov 26, 2012, 9:36 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by daregale
What are you disagreeing with, Aubrey? It's unclear from your post.
Meaning, I think, is:

I disagree; they are supposed to work for tax paying travelers.

And that's the biggest problem with the clerks. Too many of them feel that they're there to enforce obedience to their authority. They are there to know and follow the standard operating procedures. Failing to recognize an ID on the list is a failure to follow SOP; it's a failure of the clerk, not the passenger.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:06 am

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Diamondkellen
Good to see people still jump all over you for stating status. I only brought it up because it is TSA's job to weed through passengers to find any risk. So the person who is dressed for work, flys a lot would be considered a low risk. So much so that I was allowed not that long ago to fly without a photo ID.
So, all the rascally terrorist has to do is to recruit someone who is dressed for work and flys alot to get past the TSA??? Did you wave your Diamond card with the GE card??? How would a TSA clerk know that you were a Diamond VIP without seeing the card? Did you tell them that? And, anyone can fly without a photo id...

Seriously, your dress and attitude and frequency of flight has nothing to do with anything TSA-related. The clerks are so entrenched in having a DL or passport as the one ID they will accept that most will ignore their own book that lists all acceptable IDs, including GE...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.