Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Interesting re-screening experience at YYZ this morning

Old Oct 19, 2012, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AADULtArer

Flying short hop from Toronto to Boston...checked in and did a Global Entry , but was tagged for screening...SSSS on boarding pass

No problem, efficient screening, made it to gate A7 at ETD-45

17 minutes before depart time, I'm paged to gate counter with two others.

Our screening was not cleared, and we are told to go back through security to rescreen. I'm traveling with a companion, who watches my stuff.

I OJ though the airport back to security ( that's running, not killing someone with a knife for all you NooBs) ...now the screening supervisor looks at my pass, punches code red, and says, we may have to empty the terminal..... ^

To give credit, they ask me when I came through...I say 0550, remembering I glanced at my watch. They whip back through the tape, find all three of us in screening, stop the line, screen us in record time..stamp our boarding cards...I hustle back to A7 and board at ETD-2

Kudos to DL for holding plane.

Whew!!
Old Oct 19, 2012, 8:07 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow as the thread moves to the appropriate Travel Security forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Thanks Mod...was i way off putting that in travel buzz? Since it didn't have advice,I thought it was just more a tale ....
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Thanks Mod...was i way off putting that in travel buzz? Since it didn't have advice,I thought it was just more a tale ....
Welcome to FT!

Anything screening/security related goes here, as this is where it would end up, anyway (You'll see by the comments that are about to appear on this thread.).

That is one of the more bizarre stories I've heard today. How, exactly, did they think you made it to the gate if you weren't screened?

Also, how did they know to call you? Is there a list of people with SSSS or something that they need to keep track of?

Mike
Old Oct 19, 2012, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Mike

Probably the most bizarre thing that has happened to me.

The Delta Gate Agent was the one who noticed my boarding pass was not stamped correctly. The list of SSSS must get transmitted to the airline at the gate level and they call them up for a confirm.

I'll. post pix here.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 2:05 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Since when does security at YYZ stamp boarding cards? Admittedly, I'm only through there once or twice a year, and usually through terminal 1, not terminal 3, but I don't ever remember my BP being stamped...
Old Oct 20, 2012, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Critic
Since when does security at YYZ stamp boarding cards? Admittedly, I'm only through there once or twice a year, and usually through terminal 1, not terminal 3, but I don't ever remember my BP being stamped...
The only stamp you get for US departure at YYZ on your BP is the CBP stamp if you do not use Nexus or GE.

OP might want to clarify whether this was CATSA security or CBP checkpoint. Many departing to US from Canada call both screening "security".
Old Oct 20, 2012, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller
The only stamp you get for US departure at YYZ on your BP is the CBP stamp if you do not use Nexus or GE.

OP might want to clarify whether this was CATSA security or CBP checkpoint. Many departing to US from Canada call both screening "security".
If it is SSSS, Catsa will stamp the boarding pass to let the airline know that the passenger has been screened according to 4S measures.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 4:45 am
Original Poster

It was CaNadian security I interacted with in this incident, exclusively. Location is right after checked luggage drop off.

They were polite and professional throughout, especially considering the potential Charlie Foxtrot of emptying Terminal 3 YYZ

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.