Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

My Global Entry interview is next week, hoping for some help.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2012, 9:14 am
Original Poster

hey guys!

I've been provisionally approved for Global Entry, and I have my interview next week.

I saw that I need to bring a passport and proof of residence at my current establishment, or a driver's license that has my current address.

Here's the thing:

I lived in Atlanta, GA up until two years ago. I still have a GA license.

Since leaving Atlanta, I've been using my parent's address in Massachusetts as my home address as I've been traveling the world for the past two years.

In a few week's time, I'm moving to Nashville, TN, and will be declaring residency there (and getting a new license).

Because I'm using my parent's address as my home address, I don't have any bills or utility bills that say this is my permanent address, and I don't have any rental agreement with them either. Also, I don't have a license with my current address on it.

What can I bring with me to make sure things work out?

Can I have my parents draw up a lease or rental agreement that says I've been renting from them living here? Bank statements with my address? All bank statements and billing addresses have been this Massachusetts address.

Thanks guys! Hoping I'm not the only nomad on here who's had to deal with this.

-Steve
Old Sep 19, 2012, 9:46 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
I think you should call the enrollment center where your appoint is and ask them this question. You might consider rescheduling your appointment until after you've got your Tennessee license (or other acceptable document) if that's feasible..especially since you'll be there in just a few weeks.

I have no idea if a fake lease with your parents will work. I don't understand why they care about proof of residency for US citizens though... It might not matter for you.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Thanks SEA1K4EVER!

I called the enrollment center, and they said if I bring a bank statement with my address on it, that would suffice. I'm going to bring every bank statement I have...and maybe a note from my mom, hahaha!

Kidding about the "note from my mom" part.

-Steve
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL
My girlfriend went through this when applying for her GE (MA license, NY residence). She brought a bank statement with her current address but I think she said they didn't even seem to care or look at it.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by StevoVandy06
I'm going to bring every bank statement I have...and maybe a note from my mom, hahaha!

Kidding about the "note from my mom" part.

-Steve
Actually, it's not a bad idea. Just have her sign a letter stating that you have been residing with her for the past two years at their address, and sign it. Perhaps bring a copy of her driver's license or other document with her signature on it.

Something similar was actually requested of me when after I got married and my wife needed a new license with a new address-the DMV asked me to confirm she lived at my address.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Diamond
I think it doesn't hurt. I can only speak in generalities to this issue, but I have been through a GE interview and a NEXUS interview, and I can say in both cases, the interview was truly about gathering information to make sure you can remain a trusted traveler.

Many people have non-standard circumstance, and in both cases, the agent listened to my explanations, which were honest and forthright, and they understood and moved on. I did not feel there was any pushback or animosity, and I think they have the leeway to make intelligent decisions.

My guess is that if you explain; bring documentation, and don't attempt to obfuscate anything you will be fine.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They looked at my passport and driver's license and didn't care that I still have an Illinois license despite telling them I live in NYC.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by mikeygnyc
My girlfriend went through this when applying for her GE (MA license, NY residence). She brought a bank statement with her current address but I think she said they didn't even seem to care or look at it.
The CBP officer looked at my property tax bill.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 9:41 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
It depends on the interviewer, but most of them don't really care to see anything other than your passport. Just have documentation there with you of your "residence" in MA and you shouldn't have an issue.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 9:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. Don't joke about the note from your mom. If and only if there's something that flags your residence as an issue, all they are trying to figure out is where you are living and under what name. Lots of people who travel frequently, presumably the GE cohort, have slightly odd living circumstances.

2. Don't create fake documents. There's nothing worse than getting caught. No way to explain your wait out of a lie. Easy to explain your way through the truth.

3. If you've got something from a third-party (employer, etc) detailing your TN relo., that won't hurt either.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by mikeygnyc
Same here i have no ID other than my passort. Brought pay-stub and bank statement but they didn't look any further than the address on the front
Old Jan 19, 2013, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
I have a different GE interview question.

I have not had any international travel in the past five years. It's been over 10 years. However, I am applying primarily for pre-check and may start making an occasional international trip for business this year.

Is any of this a problem for the GE interview?
Old Jan 19, 2013, 8:53 pm

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
Not at all. My wife and I specifically mentioned that we wanted GE for the pre-check benefits. We were told to enjoy the benefits as we were leaving.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 7:34 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One should show up with all the required documents, but proving residency in the case of Citizens seems relatively unimportant to them-- identity seems to suffice. LPRs are a different story-- they want proof of residnecy for obvious reasons.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.