Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Japan Narita Customs - Importing prescription medication on prohibited list

Japan Narita Customs - Importing prescription medication on prohibited list

Old Nov 12, 2012, 4:21 pm

With other medicines

Here's a question: I have four other medicines that I'll be bringing with me in at least a six-month supply (I'm studying abroad for a year.) If I were somehow to package them with those other medicines, what are the chances that they'll notice? I.e. putting them in the bottom of another container or in a container meant for another set of pills?

I highly doubt I'd ever do something like that; I don't want to ruin my trip to Japan, but I don't want to come back to America with a transcript full of Cs, either.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:45 am

Programs: HGP/SPG: Apprentice Kettle; UA/AA/DL: Journeyman Kettle
5 pages of speculation ...

The "appropriate" answer has already been given, in my opinion.

Consult the Japanese Embassy/Consulate on the matter and follow their guidance. And/or consult a lawyer who is throughly familiar with Japanese law on smuggling and illegal drugs. And/or ask your physician in your home country if there is another medicine that will achieve the desired effect that is also legal to bring into Japan.

If the OP [or someone else] is caught smuggling and receives particularly harsh punishment it won't make a difference what the chances are of, or that someone else received, a lesser punishment.

As others have said, it is about risk tolerance on the would be smugglers part.

Last edited by MIT_SBM; Nov 14, 2012 at 12:54 am
Old Oct 15, 2015, 1:24 am

Programs: Skypass, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Asiana, Krisflyer, Etihad Guest, Velocity Rewards
Am travelling to Japan on Sunday and am currently on Cymbalta (duloxetine). I doesn't appear to be on a list of banned psychotropic drugs for Japan, but I am still worried.

Thoughts?
Old Oct 15, 2015, 8:38 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
Originally Posted by Vidic15
Am travelling to Japan on Sunday and am currently on Cymbalta (duloxetine). I doesn't appear to be on a list of banned psychotropic drugs for Japan, but I am still worried.

Thoughts?
If it is not on the list of banned drugs, then stop worrying.

I would recommend carrying it in the original prescription container.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Quick question:

Connecting at NRT. Land at 4:30PM from LAX, leave 7:30PM JAL to SYD.

Will I enter Japan, do I need to worry about customs and personal meds?
Old Oct 15, 2015, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Quick question:

Connecting at NRT. Land at 4:30PM from LAX, leave 7:30PM JAL to SYD.

Will I enter Japan, do I need to worry about customs and personal meds?

You won't enter Japan and won't interact with customs. I'd worry about carrying medicines on their banned list, but I'm paranoid.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
There's always a chance that you will miss a connection, or the flight cancels or something. In that case, you may need to go through Japanese I&C to get to a hotel.

The best advice is to carry prescription meds in a prescription bottle. If it's not on the banned list, you have no issues.
Old Aug 30, 2019, 10:31 am

2019 Update

I realise this is an old thread but I came across it when I searched for this kind of information, and others might, too. So here’s an update on the amphetamine situation:

- Vyvanse & Dexedrine have been illegal in Japan since 2018. Bring them at your own risk - any claims made about travelling with them legally prior to 2018 are inapplicable now. (It took the gov awhile but since they’re 2 of the ingredients in Adderall, they’re banned.)

- Ritalin & Concerta are still legal to treat narcolepsy. CONCERTA IS THE ONLY LEGAL DRUG USED TO TREAT ADHD IN JAPAN. It’s still permissible to bring Ritalin & Concerta into the country. The medical community there is only using Concerta for patients ages 6-18yo to treat ADHD though, so it might be impossible for you to get a prescription from a Japanese doctor. You’ll still need a Yakkan Shoumei to bring in large amounts of either.

- I’ve spoken to a Japanese researcher at the Stanford Center for Narcolepsy about amphetamines. He said I’d have to go through one of Japan’s Ministers of Health personally in order to bring Adderall in. *sigh*

- If you have narcolepsy, Japan also prescribes a drug called Cylert (pemoline) to treat it. Unfortunately it’s illegal in the USA! (I’ve never tried it & even if I could magically get a prescription in Japan, there’s a risk that it wouldn’t work.)

- I’ve brought my very necessary very illegal narcolepsy drugs through customs in my carry on bag with no issue before, and they searched EVERYTHING I had. But that was pre-2012 so they hadn’t started using drug sniffing dogs yet. Despite the success stories I’ve read I wouldn’t do it now.

- Military bases are considered US soil, and have drugs prescribed in the US available. So maybe you could find someone there willing to help you out - I’ve never looked into doing that but it’s a thought.

- There’s a criminal smuggling case for recreational amphetamines from 2008, from which the Japanese court said, “‘It is unlikely that an amateur can remain composed during inspections’ while knowingly smuggling illegal stimulants.”

I am by no means an expert, and this information has been gleaned from my own research. If something I’ve said is inaccurate please correct me!

Old Dec 19, 2019, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Transiting through NRT with Adderall - 2019

Good day folks,

I am connecting through NRT from Singapore heading to IAD and have a 2.5 hour layover at the airport. I will have prescription adderall with me that I need (only 10 remaining at the time of transit). Would I have to throw them before I get on the plane at SIN? Or I would be ok taking them home. I understand that I will be clearing security, but not customs. But these meds will be in my hand luggage, so they will have a high chance of being tested, probed. What should I do in this case? Any advice for 2019 transit would be appreciated.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 6:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
Good day folks,

I am connecting through NRT from Singapore heading to IAD and have a 2.5 hour layover at the airport. I will have prescription adderall with me that I need (only 10 remaining at the time of transit). Would I have to throw them before I get on the plane at SIN? Or I would be ok taking them home. I understand that I will be clearing security, but not customs. But these meds will be in my hand luggage, so they will have a high chance of being tested, probed. What should I do in this case? Any advice for 2019 transit would be appreciated.
Antidotal info only. I have transited and ended in Japan numerous times and have not been searched / inspected for prescriptions.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 7:42 pm

Where would I find....

Hello. Would someone please advise where I could find a list of medicines prohibited for connecting passengers in Japan (Narita)? I'd appreciate the help.
Thanks!
Old Jul 25, 2023, 7:58 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by Bon Mott1
Hello. Would someone please advise where I could find a list of medicines prohibited for connecting passengers in Japan (Narita)? I'd appreciate the help.
Thanks!
you will have to put forth a little of your own effort:
kouseikyoku.mhlw.go.jp/kantoshinetsu/iji/yakkanhp-kaishu-2016-3.html

yes, the link has "2016" in it but the page indicates it was last updated in February 2023.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.