Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Odd iPad security question at LHR T3 Fastrack on Jul 4th

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2012, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM, *wd gold

I had only a small bag going thru T3 Fastrack at LHR. As I was putting my bag on the xray conveyor belt, I was asked if I had a laptop or an iPad. I said no laptop, just an Android tablet. The security guy said, "An iPad?" and I responded, "no iPad, but I do have a tablet, an Android Tablet." He said "I only asked about an iPad. It's a simple question." (He was a bit arrogant.) I responded, "No iPad." He said, "See how easy that was." (BTW, kept my shoes on. I guess they were secure.)

Is there something less secure about an iPad than an Android tablet? Have I missed something? Does Apple know about this? Has anyone else encountered this at LHR or anywhere else? It's a first for me. I searched and found no other post on this issue.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Maybe he's just clueless and doesn't understand that iPads belong to a class of devices known as tablets?
Old Jul 6, 2012, 7:41 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Probably belongs in the Travel Safety and Security forum since it has nothing to do with AA. Move requested.

Cheers.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 7:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by puppysara
I had only a small bag going thru T3 Fastrack at LHR. As I was putting my bag on the xray conveyor belt, I was asked if I had a laptop or an iPad. I said no laptop, just an Android tablet. The security guy said, "An iPad?" and I responded, "no iPad, but I do have a tablet, an Android Tablet." He said "I only asked about an iPad. It's a simple question." (He was a bit arrogant.) I responded, "No iPad." He said, "See how easy that was." (BTW, kept my shoes on. I guess they were secure.)

Is there something less secure about an iPad than an Android tablet? Have I missed something? Does Apple know about this? Has anyone else encountered this at LHR or anywhere else? It's a first for me. I searched and found no other post on this issue.

Poor little guy had no clue.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM, *wd gold
Originally Posted by brp
Probably belongs in the Travel Safety and Security forum since it has nothing to do with AA. Move requested.

Cheers.
Concur with move request. I was in the AA thread when I remembered the issue. Sorry.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Poor little guy had no clue.
The OP? If so I'd agree. The correct answer to the question is "no". Never volunteer any more information than what is specifically asked.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 8:00 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by pdog02
The OP? If so I'd agree. The correct answer to the question is "no". Never volunteer any more information than what is specifically asked.
Gotta disagree with that. Given the proclivity these days to refer to a tablet as an "iPad" (see "Band Aid," "Xerox," etc.) it is more likely that the person was asking about a tablet than an iPad specifically. Saying "No, I don't have an iPad, but I do have an Android tablet" is the correct answer. Just saying No, then having the person find the tablet and question why you mislead them (never mind that the answer was accurate) is the more than likely outcome of that. Best to be avoided.

Cheers.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 8:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by pdog02
Well, no, actually, because you could get the moron security officer who would accuse you of trying to lie to him.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 8:02 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Given the "security" employee's choice of "employment" with DfT, I can understand why the OP might have assumed the employee was clueless about different tablet types.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 8:05 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
And off this goes to the appropriate TS&S Forum. Assuming it will pass muster, of course.

/Moderator
Old Jul 6, 2012, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
iPad has become mostly synonymous with a 10 inch tablet, much like most MP3 players are often referred to as an iPod.

If that happens again the easiest answer is "it is my tablet"
Old Jul 6, 2012, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by brp
Gotta disagree with that. Given the proclivity these days to refer to a tablet as an "iPad" (see "Band Aid," "Xerox," etc.) it is more likely that the person was asking about a tablet than an iPad specifically. Saying "No, I don't have an iPad, but I do have an Android tablet" is the correct answer. Just saying No, then having the person find the tablet and question why you mislead them (never mind that the answer was accurate) is the more than likely outcome of that. Best to be avoided.

Cheers.
Not my duty to educate them about the difference. Oh, and don't forget "Kleenex".

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Well, no, actually, because you could get the moron security officer who would accuse you of trying to lie to him.
I've done it before and breezed right through.

Originally Posted by Spiff
Given the "security" employee's choice of "employment" with DfT, I can understand why the OP might have assumed the employee was clueless about different tablet types.
And finally the "assume" cliche. I assume they mean what was asked.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
I had only a small bag going thru T3 Fastrack at LHR. As I was putting my bag on the xray conveyor belt, I was asked if I had a laptop or an iPad. I said no laptop, just an Android tablet. The security guy said, "An iPad?" and I responded, "no iPad, but I do have a tablet, an Android Tablet." He said "I only asked about an iPad. It's a simple question." (He was a bit arrogant.) I responded, "No iPad."

I would have said: "asked and answered".
Old Jul 6, 2012, 10:35 pm

Programs: AA, Hertz, SPG, Amex MR, Mahalo Rewards
Maybe it's related to when they asked me (also at LHR) to remove my laptop from my briefcase, I did and then they searched me when I didn't take out ipad. They then told me ipad was a laptop...
Old Jul 7, 2012, 4:02 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
security

This seems to be the security equivalent of the question "Have you stopped beating your wife?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.