FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   LA Union Station - Subway & TSA Baggage Check (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1353774-la-union-station-subway-tsa-baggage-check.html)

jbdk Jun 6, 2012 9:23 am

LA Union Station - Subway & TSA Baggage Check

On Monday, at about 7am, TSA was doing a baggage screening for the subway station at Los Angeles Union Station. Been through this before (happens about once a month). This time, I had to show ID. What for? My monthly pass does not indicate my name. They did not do a "records" check.

kebosabi Jun 6, 2012 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by jbdk (Post 18708055)
On Monday, at about 7am, TSA was doing a baggage screening for the subway station at Los Angeles Union Station. Been through this before (happens about once a month). This time, I had to show ID. What for? My monthly pass does not indicate my name. They did not do a "records" check.

You should start writing and posting your grievances to The Source http://thesource.metro.net/.

Lots of frustrated Angelinos there these days with Metro becoming yet another overblown tax-sucking bureaucratic government agency. :td:

saulblum Jun 6, 2012 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by jbdk (Post 18708055)

Why did you comply and show ID? You are not required to carry identification for riding the LA Metro, and you are under no obligation whatsoever to produce an ID when demanded on a whim by a cop or other officer.

jbdk Jun 7, 2012 8:15 am

Originally Posted by saulblum (Post 18711484)
Why did you comply and show ID? You are not required to carry identification for riding the LA Metro, and you are under no obligation whatsoever to produce an ID when demanded on a whim by a cop or other officer.

I asked why and said I had to or I could not enter the subway. I could have just went out and try again a couple minutes later... did not think about it until now.

saulblum Jun 7, 2012 9:14 am

Originally Posted by jbdk (Post 18714326)
I asked why and said I had to or I could not enter the subway. I could have just went out and try again a couple minutes later... did not think about it until now.

Was it the TSA agent or a LA cop who was demanding ID? Was the ID demanded as soon as the bag check began, or not until after it was finished?

You should have said that in the United States one does not need to carry identification to walk the street, or ride the subway, and that you will be proceeding through the fare gate without showing anyone any identification.

Every passenger who doesn't stand up for their rights is just more ammunition for these thugs (and that's what they are) to continue to harass other passengers.

N1120A Jun 9, 2012 11:57 pm

Based on my experience with them as a civil rights lawyer, my opinion is that the LACMTA has a problem with people who care about their civil rights.

Turin Aramaia Jan 14, 2013 11:01 am

You now have to comply or they will bar you from any travel via any TSA-screened station. Plus you'd get hit with a fee for wasting their time.

I am taking a couple of bags with me to San Jose FurCon for Megabus. I even bought an extra seat for the cargo space. Is there a TSA screening station there At Union Station Los Angeles for the rank Megabus?? I'm not bringing or buying dildoes or looking to party down, even though my packed attire and giveaway things say otherwise. I'm going there to have serious fun, that's all.

If there is TSA, how much time do I need in advance?

-----------
Tweet me @TurinAramaia
Text me @Google Voice 562-449-3849