Identity Theft

Old Apr 11, 2012, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Identity Theft

I had my Identity stolen in my country of origin. The person made a passport out of my name. I just came back from there, when they scanned my passport, another person's picture came up and the guy didn't know whether I was the real one or the fake one. I was told I wouldn't be allowed to leave that country until I had it all cleared, and I CAN'T DO it in the states because the consulate said that the passport wasn't made here in the states but in my home country. I am not gonna take the chance of going there trying to get it fix and not have it fix and I will be stuck there forever.

I have been an LPR in the US for 7 years now and so I decided that I will apply for US Citizenship. Will that fix everything or will I have to change my name? Will that solve the problem? I will do the name change during the Naturalization process. I was thinking of keeping my Last name, make my first name my middle name, and get a new first name. Will that create issues or will I be fine? Or should I just get a brand new Identity? Will my old name be on my passport when any Foreign Immigration scans it or will it just be my new name?

You don't have to answer all the questions but answer however amount you can. Thanks all in advance!
Old Apr 12, 2012, 1:22 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

You really need to see a lawyer about this. This is a complicated issue and you should be able to get it sorted out but it will require specialized knowledge of the procedures concerning identity theft in your country.

If you change your name, the US is going to keep track of both your names. They will both be tied to your SSN. You won't need a passport from your home country any longer, but they might be reluctant to issue you a visa to go back (or visa waiver, or whatever you need) if they cannot confirm your identity.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 6:25 am

We obviously don't know what your home country is and that makes a difference, but I agree with the prior poster that you should deal with the problem rather than pretender that your dopleganger doesn't exist.

Since we don't know what your home country's legal system is, it is possible to say what remedies are available to you or whether it can be dealt with through your consultate (despite the advice you were given).

More and more data is being swapped between nations and I wouldn't presume that a name change will stop records from eventually cross-listing. You also don't know when countries will start demanding fingerpirnt scans and we don't know wehther your former country has your prints to put in an international database.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cbn42
You really need to see a lawyer about this. This is a complicated issue and you should be able to get it sorted out but it will require specialized knowledge of the procedures concerning identity theft in your country.

If you change your name, the US is going to keep track of both your names. They will both be tied to your SSN. You won't need a passport from your home country any longer, but they might be reluctant to issue you a visa to go back (or visa waiver, or whatever you need) if they cannot confirm your identity.

I am not worrying about the US. I am worrying that if I ever go visit my home country, I will be barred from exiting it. Will my passport file show my old name when they scan it on the computer?
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
We obviously don't know what your home country is and that makes a difference, but I agree with the prior poster that you should deal with the problem rather than pretender that your dopleganger doesn't exist.

Since we don't know what your home country's legal system is, it is possible to say what remedies are available to you or whether it can be dealt with through your consultate (despite the advice you were given).

More and more data is being swapped between nations and I wouldn't presume that a name change will stop records from eventually cross-listing. You also don't know when countries will start demanding fingerpirnt scans and we don't know wehther your former country has your prints to put in an international database.

That information is been withheld for a reason. I am willing to provide it via PM but not openly.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 12:10 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Feel free to PM me with details and I'll do my best to help.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.