Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Lost Photo ID - How to Get through Airport Security?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lost Photo ID - How to Get through Airport Security?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2012, 7:13 am

Programs: Delta DM MM
Originally Posted by avidflyer
As long as you have something with his name, credit card, sky club card, anything. You will just go through a secondary screening where they will ask you some questions. Probably get through quicker without an ID.

This goes for anyone traveling domestically. Photo ID is NOT required just supposedly quicker....
My wife had to do this recently and got through quicker than I did in Priority Line!
Old Apr 8, 2012, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Denal1
My wife had to do this recently and got through quicker than I did in Priority Line!
Whenever I am really late and the line is really long I lose my ID
Old Apr 8, 2012, 7:23 am

Programs: PC Plat, HH Diamond, *wood Gold, United Silver, DL Plat, IC Gold, Hertz. #1, AMX Plat
Thanks for the quick answers. Now I can enjoy Easter. College kids and alcohol = lost ids! I knew this would be quicker than calling TSA. Thanks, Flyertalk members.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 8:08 am

Programs: Delta GM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Avis Preferred
Some people might think this is overkill, but when I travel, I always do so with 2 photo IDs. I carry my DL and Passport, and keep them in separate locations. If I am unfortunate enough to lose both of them, oh well.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 8:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by waltinsocal
Some people might think this is overkill, but when I travel, I always do so with 2 photo IDs. I carry my DL and Passport, and keep them in separate locations. If I am unfortunate enough to lose both of them, oh well.
+1 - It's not overkill. Sometimes the lost ID problem is a 2-minute delay and sometimes it's a 2-hour delay. Sometimes it's just secondary screening and sometimes it involves using access to various databases to confirm information. The latter can take a long time, because not all Officers are trained.

Backups can include having someone fax or PDF to you copies of utility bills, magazine labels and the like. Those can be used to show established residence at a specific USA address and speed things through.

Here is a cut & paste from TSA's advisory:

We understand passengers occasionally arrive at the airport without an ID, due to lost items or inadvertently leaving them at home. Not having an ID, does not necessarily mean a passenger won’t be allowed to fly. If passengers are willing to provide additional information, we have other means of substantiating someone’s identity, like using publicly available databases.

Passengers who are cleared through this process may be subject to additional screening. Passengers whose identity cannot be verified by TSA may not be allowed to enter the screening checkpoint or onto an airplane.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 10:40 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards, Hertz #1 Gold
Whenever I am really late and the line is really long I lose my ID
I gotta try that.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 11:03 am

Programs: DL EOS...
+1 about carrying more than one valid photo ID but has the OP considered calling the PM desk and asking what they suggest? They may be able to assist TSA with your Medallion credentials?
Old Apr 8, 2012, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Ti22
+1 about carrying more than one valid photo ID but has the OP considered calling the PM desk and asking what they suggest? They may be able to assist TSA with your Medallion credentials?
If the OP has a US DL then that is what the TSA prefer to check. It takes them just a few minutes to do it (not sure how).
Old Apr 8, 2012, 11:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If the OP has a US DL then that is what the TSA prefer to check. It takes them just a few minutes to do it (not sure how).
If OP's relative has a US DL it takes about 10 seconds to check because that's an acceptable form of photo ID and obviates the entire secondary look-up issue.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 11:51 am

Programs: DL PM, SkyClub, CO, AA, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Denal1
Same here! Girl got threw faster than me, with a library card and a dog......
Old Apr 8, 2012, 11:56 am

Programs: DL PM, SkyClub, CO, AA, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by waltinsocal
I do the same. Only thing domestically it's better to loose your passport vs drivers license. You might be able to fly without any ID, but your sure can't rent a car without physical drivers license...
Old Apr 8, 2012, 11:57 am

Programs: DL Diamond;AA Gold; UA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Plat
I find that having a combination of IDs/Cards with your name and photo can work. I had this happen to me 3 weeks ago leaving Cleveland (left my ID at the security desk where my meeting was) and got through with my Costco card (has photo) and bar card (gov't issued but no picture).
Old Apr 8, 2012, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
This is not a DL specific topic so I am moving this thread over to the Practical Travel Safety Issues Forum for further discussion.

RSSrsvp - Moderator
Old Apr 9, 2012, 8:03 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
And as a reminder for everybody since this topic comes up on a very regular basis, make a copy of your ID's and put them someplace where you can get to them when you travel. It may not be acceptable at the checkpoint, but if they do have to go through the entire lost ID process, it may make it easier for them if you have all the numbers, etc on a copy for them to verify.

If I was going to do this, I would get a passport card instead of the passport as the second ID. I think a passport is too bulky and fragile to carry around all the time.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 9:27 pm

Programs: PC Plat, HH Diamond, *wood Gold, United Silver, DL Plat, IC Gold, Hertz. #1, AMX Plat
Originally Posted by RSSrsvp
This is not a DL specific topic so I am moving this thread over to the Practical Travel Safety Issues Forum for further discussion.

RSSrsvp - Moderator
Sorry. i wasn't sure where to post since they split the two Safety & Security boards.
To everyone else, thank you. Also I do carry 2 forms in different places and copies. I assumed he brought a DL and passport. Never assume with a 22 year old.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.