Wiki Posts
Search

Security Wonders at HKG

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2006, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, AA Gold, DL FO, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold
Security Wonders at HKG

Just went through security here in HKG on my way to PVG via Dragonair.

Quick summary:
  • No "take off your shoes"
  • No "remove your jacket"
  • No full body scan
  • No attitude problem

So why can't we get this accomplished in the US?

Also, the $!#$%) _astards snipped off my TSA approved lock on the way over. I just spent $15 for a lock that the TSA supposedly has a key for.

Do I have any recourse at all?
Old Apr 21, 2006, 10:34 pm

More importantly, no "take out your laptop" or worse, "turn on your laptop."
Old Apr 21, 2006, 10:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP
If you were on an Aairbus narrowbody, I bet I saw you!

I was just arriving and walking to the transit security check when a Dragonair plane was heading out -- this was a couple of hours ago.

If anyone else is in the Pier, look for an FT tag on a roller -- that's me

Steve
Old Apr 22, 2006, 12:51 am
Original Poster

I was in the Dragonair departure lounge from 0930 - 1045 awaiting KA804 to PVG.

Was a widebody A330
Old Apr 22, 2006, 2:01 am
TR35R

CX504 Up-stairs/J

What? I was there! (6:20~8:40AM)
Originally Posted by sllevin
If anyone else is in the Pier, look for an FT tag on a roller -- that's me

Old Apr 22, 2006, 10:20 am

Programs: AA EXP - 1.4MM
Originally Posted by RPRocket

Quick summary:
  • No full body scan
  • No attitude problem

Also, the $!#$%) _astards snipped off my TSA approved lock on the way over. I just spent $15 for a lock that the TSA supposedly has a key for.

Do I have any recourse at all?
Not to turn this political but...

Uh, maybe because Hong Kong a) isn't a target of terrorists - unless I slept through it they haven't had any large commercial planes crashed into their skyscrapers; b) they have a very anal immigration policy - they don't have a bunch of idiots living there who are up to no good; c) (and probably most importantly) they don't have Liberals demanding that everyone gets treated the same. In other countries they 'profile' - you obviously don't fit the profile.

Sorry to hear about the lock. You should be able to get compensation. But my guess is, unless you don't value your free time very much, it will cost more than $15 to accomplish it.
Old Apr 22, 2006, 6:10 pm

Quick summary:
  • No full body scan
  • No attitude problem

it is like that in most countries, except the US?
wonder whether the security measures actually achieve anything though.
Old Apr 23, 2006, 1:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by West Coast Ace
Not to turn this political but...

Uh, maybe because Hong Kong a) isn't a target of terrorists - unless I slept through it they haven't had any large commercial planes crashed into their skyscrapers; b) they have a very anal immigration policy - they don't have a bunch of idiots living there who are up to no good; c) (and probably most importantly) they don't have Liberals demanding that everyone gets treated the same. In other countries they 'profile' - you obviously don't fit the profile.

Sorry to hear about the lock. You should be able to get compensation. But my guess is, unless you don't value your free time very much, it will cost more than $15 to accomplish it.
Amen on your comments. I'd be the first to agree with your points.

However, given that we ARE the target of terrorists, our so-called security measures do nothing at all to stop them. In fact, they give most flying dolts the faulty perception that they are somehow safer.

One can make an argument that air travel has become THE shining example of liberal and government failure. Every single measure failed on 9/11 until some heroes on UA 93 rose up and defied everything (including the terrorists).

I'd prefer we do some real profiling and let the rest of us keep our shoes on and our laptops in tow

Wow - that was a side rant!
Old Apr 23, 2006, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Okay, I know we're not supposed to be political...

but
dangit....cannot resist...

It's like bank robberies. Tellers, etc., are told "just give them the money and get them out of the bank."

If bank robbers started killing people on the way out...well, you get the picture.

Steve
Old Apr 23, 2006, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
This sort of security treatment not only exists in HK but elsewhere in asia as well. Places like SIN, BKK, KUL to name a few airports that are pleasant to travel from.

This thread, however has nothing to do with Cathay Pacific or Asiamiles so I'd have to move it to Travel Safety/Security.

Guy Betsy
Cathay Pacific Asiamiles forum moderator
Old Apr 23, 2006, 10:32 pm

Programs: DL PM, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by West Coast Ace
c) (and probably most importantly) they don't have Liberals demanding that everyone gets treated the same. In other countries they 'profile' - you obviously don't fit the profile.
Thank you for saying this. While profiling certainly won't stop all terrorists, it is very likely to stop the ones who yell, "Allahu Akbar!".
Just my $.02
Old Apr 23, 2006, 10:45 pm

Programs: AA, WN RR
You folks talking about profiling are not regular posters in the Travel Safety/Security forum. Just wait until certain people read the remarks in favor of profiling - this thread will get interesting.
Old Apr 23, 2006, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott, Hilton, ACCORHOTELS, JOLLY, HERTZ, DELTA
Amen on your comments.
I'd prefer we do some real profiling and let the rest of us keep our shoes on and our laptops in tow

I Amen your Amen. ^
Old Apr 23, 2006, 11:56 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by PatrickHenry1775
You folks talking about profiling are not regular posters in the Travel Safety/Security forum. Just wait until certain people read the remarks in favor of profiling - this thread will get interesting.
Here we go again:

Amen on your comments. I'd be the first to agree with your points.

However, given that we ARE the target of terrorists, our so-called security measures do nothing at all to stop them. In fact, they give most flying dolts the faulty perception that they are somehow safer.

One can make an argument that air travel has become THE shining example of liberal and government failure. Every single measure failed on 9/11 until some heroes on UA 93 rose up and defied everything (including the terrorists).

Racist (tribalist) profiling is not my cup of tea. Of course racism (tribalism) will always have its defenders. In any event, and for a whole variety of reasons, I don't want to see my government involved in advancing a racist (tribalist) agenda, whether it be at the airport or in the world at large.

I've had this discussion before:

Here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...7&postcount=16

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 24, 2006 at 12:04 am
Old Apr 24, 2006, 12:40 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by fs2k2isfun
Thank you for saying this. While profiling certainly won't stop all terrorists, it is very likely to stop the ones who yell, "Allahu Akbar!".
Just my $.02
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Wrong. Or can you tell a Chinese muslim from a Chinese atheist or Chinese buddhist just by looking at their faces? Can you tell a Filipino muslim apart from a Filipino christian in the same way? A Lebanese maronite christian from a Lebanese shia by looking at their faces? A Yemeni jew from a Yemeni muslim? A Persian zoroastrian from a Persian muslim? An Argentine muslim from an Argentine catholic? A Bosnian or Albanian muslim from a Croatian catholic? Can you tell a Chechen muslim from a Georgian christian? Can you tell an Indian Bengali hindu from a Bangladeshi muslim? Can you tell an Afghan mona-sikh from a Baluchi muslim? Can you tell a Senegalese muslim from a Senegalese christian? Can you tell a Ladakhi shia from a Tibetan follower of the Dalai Lama?

I doubt most here can -- especially when even regional intelligence experts cannot do so by looking at a face.
(From the URL I supplied above. )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.