Can minis of liquor be brought in carry on?

Old Mar 14, 2012, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Question Can minis of liquor be brought in carry on?

I was hoping to bring mini's onboard our flight in May...less then 3 oz.....following the rules and not consume it while in flight. We will not be bringing any checked luggage.

Cannot seem to find a recent thread/post about this. Thanks~
Old Mar 14, 2012, 3:16 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
I have both purposely and unwittingly had minis in my carryon laptop bag, and it doesn't seem to raise an eyebrow. FWIW, I do not separate out small toothpastes, etc from my luggage either. They barely detect / pause on it.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 4:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You don't give your origin/destination, but if this is domestic USA, in theory the minis go in your quart baggie for TSA. Haven't had anybody raise the quart bag issue in over a year, so not sure how much that matters anyway.

You are correct that you can't consume inflight.

If this is intl., will depend on specifics.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
You are correct that you can't consume inflight.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the rule that you can consume what you brought on board as long as you give it to the flight attendant to pour? So they can keep track of how much you're drinking?
Old Mar 14, 2012, 6:45 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by hedur
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the rule that you can consume what you brought on board as long as you give it to the flight attendant to pour? So they can keep track of how much you're drinking?
Ok, since you said correct, you I will correct you. Some airlines do not allow you to do that at all, some don't care...also it might depend on business class and whether the airline is losing money if your bring your own (as in you are not buying their overpriced mini bottles).
Old Mar 14, 2012, 7:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by hedur
Has nothing to do with policy and everything to do with local law.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA, WN, Hyatt, Club Carlson, HHonors, MRewards, CET, M Life
Originally Posted by wedgette
I was hoping to bring mini's onboard our flight in May...less then 3 oz.....following the rules and not consume it while in flight. We will not be bringing any checked luggage.

Yes.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 7:48 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Please follow the thread on its move to the appropriate travel security forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Often1
Has nothing to do with policy and everything to do with local law.
Whose local law--that of the state you're flying over? I thought for this reason it was either federal law (or FAA regs) or airline policy that governed such matters.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:00 am

Programs: UA 1PP MM
If you spend an hour organizing, you can get 11 mini's in a 1 qt bag.

There is no US law against this. I would however be a little sneaky around the FA's.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I did call American and yes I can bring them on board and must follow the 1 quart rule. I did not ask about consuming them during the flight as that was not my intention to begin with.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by wedgette

Minis are for amateurs. I can fit 6 3oz. generic bottles (from the grocery store travel section) in my Freedom Baggie. I fly first class no matter where I'm sitting.
As far as the airline goes, don't ask, don't tell.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 10:06 pm

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Pesky Monkey
Minis are for amateurs. I can fit 6 3oz. generic bottles (from the grocery store travel section) in my Freedom Baggie. I fly first class no matter where I'm sitting.
As far as the airline goes, don't ask, don't tell.
Not to mention if you want to create you own bottle labels you can have a lot of fun watching your seat mate while you imbibe.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 9:12 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver, A3 Gold, EK Gold, HH Gold, Sixt Dmd
Originally Posted by mnmme
If you spend an hour organizing, you can get 11 mini's in a 1 qt bag.
Have done this, with bottles from the IC minibar
Old Mar 16, 2012, 9:13 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver, A3 Gold, EK Gold, HH Gold, Sixt Dmd
Originally Posted by mapleg
the airline is losing money if your bring your own (as in you are not buying their overpriced mini bottles).
that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.