Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can TSA check Mobile boarding passes?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2012, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Do the scanners transmit or record info in any way? Or do they just decode the barcode and temporarily display info on the screen? Worry of that has made me stop using e-boarding passes.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 9:08 am

Programs: UA GS, WN A-List, AA Exec Plat, National Emerald
At MCO airport it's a hassle

I fly out of MCO (the worst domestic airport IMHO) about once a month, and it's always a very early flight, the 6:05am MCO->SFO.

CLEAR isn't open at boarding time (despite what they say on their website, the Clear station isn't manned until after 6:00am), so I have to wait on the World's Slowest Moving Security line. It typically takes a full hour to move through this line. (Yes, for a domestic flight at 5:00am!)

If I present the ID checker with a mobile boarding pass, he closes the line, walks over to an area where he has a scanner, scans it, then walks back to the line (slowly, because he's usually obese) and opens the line up again. So every time someone uses a Mobile Boarding Pass, it holds everyone else up a minute. I think he's just annoyed that he can't color on it with his magic marker.

(I think when there are more lines open it may go smoother. But when I fly, there's only one boarding pass checker, and he likes to park himself on the line where there's no scanner)
Old Mar 11, 2012, 11:30 am

Programs: AA-3MM-ExPLT
Originally Posted by tkey75
Do the scanners transmit or record info in any way? Or do they just decode the barcode and temporarily display info on the screen? Worry of that has made me stop using e-boarding passes.
Start here http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/stb/bcbp/Pages/index.aspx - there is a pdf that has the details of what can be in the bar code.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BStrauss3
Start here http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/stb/bcbp/Pages/index.aspx - there is a pdf that has the details of what can be in the bar code.
So, basically they can know pretty much everything about me and my travels.

It doesn't answer the question as to whether the TSA is storing the info their barcode readers get. I intend to ask.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 7:40 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
The bar code readers are basically the same as at the gate, but not connected to a reservation computer.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 7:40 pm

Programs: AA-3MM-ExPLT
So, basically they can know pretty much everything about me and my travels.
"We" already do - good luck getting an aisle seat on that flight next week :-)

[QUOTE=tkey75;18180627It doesn't answer the question as to whether the TSA is storing the info their barcode readers get. I intend to ask.[/QUOTE]

Seriously, it's a decent question - there are limitations on the creation of records of PII (personally identifying information) - for example they can't note down details of your ID in a notebook without creating an illegal record.

There were threads back a couple years on what ICE/CBP has about you when you cross a border. Not sure I've ever seen anyone try a FOIA request on TSA... but it might be fun to try.
Old Mar 14, 2012, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Just to update, I used the mobile pass on my return trip home last week from Las Vegas to IAD. I was about to hold it up for the Id checker in Vegas but she pointed at the scanner, so I used that instead. She looked at the screen, at my ID, and sent me on my way. It took about 2 seconds - wayyy less than the silly artwork-on-paper ID checking method.

It was also fun going "boop" at the gate and looking oh-so-technological. The only problem I had was the gate at my connection in Denver because the scanner was broken. But the gate agent just typed in my info and away I went.

Off topic, but I also encountered the friendliest gate agent ever, in Denver. He was laughing and jovial and gave most of the women passengers a brief hug as we entered the jetway. Didn't get his name, but this was on United. Go figure!
Old Mar 15, 2012, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BStrauss3

Seriously, it's a decent question - there are limitations on the creation of records of PII (personally identifying information) - for example they can't note down details of your ID in a notebook without creating an illegal record.
Though we all know that doesn't stop them from doing it. For example, after opting out in LIH, they readily pulled out a notebook (with a long list already on it), a pen and asked for my ID and BP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.