Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Restricted exits at DFW Terminals after 9 PM and related issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2012, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond

How hard would it be for American and or DFW to post signs at all exits to where the nearest open exit is after 9pm at night?

Is seems like it's a big joke at the airport. We come in at 10:30, closest exit is closed, no sign other than saying it's closed. Security entrance is closed. We make the mistake of going from C7 to C14 when finally there is sign saying the next open exit is C21.

Why do we have to guess which way to go, why didn't the other 3-4 exits we pass have a sign saying nearest exit is C-4.

Am I the only one this bugs? I don't get in this late regularly enough to know which of the 20 exits to the terminal are not closed.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 7:08 pm

Programs: AA PLT; SPG PLT
Oh dear god yes; this has gotten me more times than I can count.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 7:15 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
This is a great issue to e-mail Customer Relations about, IMO.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 7:16 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I've wondered why the the exits at the ends are open and the middle exits are closed.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Sent e-mail to AA customer service and DFW.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Several exits from A are closed all day, not just late in the evening. What makes it especially frustrating is that the overhead signage still directs you to them.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by deac83
Sent e-mail to AA customer service and DFW.
^ Thank you! Hate it when I can't get out!
Old Feb 16, 2012, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
This is a problem when I'm being picked up or am having to make a trek to my own car. I am not comfortable with it.

However, when I am using the Airport Valet Service (their logo is the funny yellow plane), they know which exits are open. Their employees always meet me at baggage claim when I have checked bags which is 99% of the time.

972-313-2500.

I've given up self parking or being fetched by others.

Last edited by oldpenny16; Feb 17, 2012 at 10:10 am
Old Feb 16, 2012, 8:43 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
This is a serious e-mail to AA CR! Personal safety is an issue, and you'd think with all the pink ribbon hoopla they wrap themselves in they might be a tad more aware (though the personal safety issue could apply to men as well).

Originally Posted by oldpenny16
This is a problem when I'm being picked up or am having to make a trek to my own car. I am not comfortable with it.

However, when I am using the Airport Valet Service (their logo is the funny yellow plane), they know which exits are open. Their employees always meet me at baggage claim when I have checked bags which is 99% of the time.

972-313-2500.

I've given up self parking or being fetched by others.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Update:

1. Received quick response from DFW customer service saying e-mail being forwarded to the terminal manager.

2. About an hour later received e-mail from terminal manager saying he would be looking into the issue and wanted to improve the customer experience.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 10:33 pm

Programs: A lowly AA Ruby
I too, seem to fight this every time I arrive back in DFW after 7 pm or so. Completely ridiculous they decide to close all of the exits off. I have written into AA CR a couple of times with a canned response saying it will be forwarded to airport management.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 5:42 am

There should be plenty of available emergency exits out of the airport, no matter the time of day. I would think this needs to be taken up by local authorities. Is it DPS in Dallas/FT Worth?
Old Feb 17, 2012, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skylady
There should be plenty of available emergency exits out of the airport, no matter the time of day. I would think this needs to be taken up by local authorities. Is it DPS in Dallas/FT Worth?
I hadn't even thought about the exits being locked in the case of an emergency! That's an awful thought, but valid.

Why am I worried about my personal safety when having to walk a very ong way from the actual exit to my car? Really?

Walking out alone is bad enough but having to hike a long way back to the area where my car was parked is far from pleasant. That is a big part of why I pay extra to use the airport valet service with the yellow plane logo. Called The Airport Valet. (972) 313-2500.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:03 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by oldpenny16
Why am I worried about my personal safety when having to walk a very ong way from the actual exit to my car? Really?
The length of the walk to one's car has more to do with the randomness of your arrival gate than terminal exit availability.

Also, there are several "emergency" exits in all the DFW terminals.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dayone
The length of the walk to one's car has more to do with the randomness of your arrival gate than terminal exit availability.

Also, there are several "emergency" exits in all the DFW terminals.
When you fly often enough you learn the likely arrival gates of your standard flights. Most of the time it works out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.