Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Passports are now not valid for TSA security for domestic flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passports are now not valid for TSA security for domestic flights?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2012, 7:41 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
i always use a passport so i don't have to dig my DL out of my wallet, which goes in my carry-on during the strip-search. much easier to put BP in the passport before the anal probing than fumbling with BP and DL
Old Feb 16, 2012, 8:27 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Me: Presenting passport to TSO

TSO: Do you have a driver's license
Me: Yes
<pause>
<pause>
<pause>
(and I can do this all day if a TSO asks me if I have a driver's license )
Old Feb 16, 2012, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by scott523
I'd say the officer couldn't think of a better way to say he wasn't satisfied. Such as the photo or condition. Is a passport a valid form of ID on domestic flights? Definitely. Is it as fast/easy as checking a drivers license? No, but not impossible. Since passports are more susceptible to being damaged, be prepared for another form of ID to verify upon request.
I'm not trying to be rude, but I have no idea what your point is. Passports are valid IDs. Period. There's nothing in the OP's post (Congrats on #500!) to indicate that there was anything wrong with the passport. I don't know what the data are for "speed of every possible comparison" between DL and passports, but it really doesn't matter.

Mike
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:04 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by mikeef
I'm not trying to be rude, but I have no idea what your point is. Passports are valid IDs. Period.
Exactly. It should take no more time to check a PP than a DL. Period. And if there was "something wrong with it" then the passenger should be told that.

Given the number of recent stories about TSA screeners accused of crimes, I would be suspicious of one that demanded something with my home address on it.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
The entire discussion from the FAQ about secondary ID's is above. The passport is a valid photo ID. Therefore, the remainder of the paragraph does not apply to the situation we are discussing.
Yes it does if you carefully read my previous post. I am talking about if there is reasonable doubt concerning the passport (or any photo ID for that matter) such as the photo or condition, a secondary form of ID may be requested for verification.

Originally Posted by mikeef
I'm not trying to be rude, but I have no idea what your point is. Passports are valid IDs. Period. There's nothing in the OP's post (Congrats on #500!) to indicate that there was anything wrong with the passport. I don't know what the data are for "speed of every possible comparison" between DL and passports, but it really doesn't matter.

Mike
My point is it could have been any reason why the TSO requested the OP's drivers license. It could have been the photo of the passport, the condition of the passport, or heck, maybe it was the TSO's document of preference (which is just baseless).

If you or anyone think that I believe passports are invalid IDs or that the speed of checking a certain document determines our preference, think again. As for the address on the drivers issue, I really could care less about where you live as I have hundreds of people waiting at TDC to be checked. If you think it is something to be concerned about, be my guest and give me a passport, just don't expect me to let you go if you give me a washed passport, a photo that looks outdated beyond recognition, or even a drivers license that a passenger decided to cut to better fit his wallet.

Scott
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
scott523, I'm just pointing out the absurdity of the rule you posted from TSA's website.

Let's assume you don't have any form of government ID (besides a DL/state issued ID) (most Americans don't). Let's also assume you don't have a passport (most Americans don't).

Do you carry a birth certificate/marriage certificate/social security card when you travel? Do any of your credit cards have your photo/DOB/gender/address?

Most Americans keep things like birth certificates/marriage licenses locked away in a safe place, they don't carry them around in their wallet. Many folks don't have a physical social security card - mine got stolen when I was in my teens - I have never bothered to replace it - it was never valid legal ID and I knew my number, so why would I carry it? It has no picture, gender, DOB or address.

I know you didn't make these rules personally, but I am pointing out how absurd they are for many Americans. None of the folks I asked at work or at home carry these things in their wallets.

BTW, you mention that you aren't interested in pax addresses, yet the link you cited says if TDC wants secondary ID, it has to include one of the following: DOB, gender, address, photo - that's your own agency who wants an address on secondary ID that the TDC can request any time he/she feels like it. Why? What does the address prove anyway? How do you verify it, particularly if the residence is not under the pax name?

Last edited by chollie; Feb 16, 2012 at 12:28 pm
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:14 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by cordelli
There have been posts before about the TSA deciding you could not use a passport on a domestic flight, and the TSA deciding you could not use a drivers license for an international flight.

It's just the agents making up their own rules again. Fill out a comment card so they can be assimilated
I think it's worse than making up their own rules. When they demand the driver's license, I immediately think that they improperly want to see my home address. No way!
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:25 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by chollie
scott523,

Let's assume you don't have any form of government ID (most Americans don't). Let's also assume you don't have a passport (most Americans don't).
Surveys indicate 89% of adults have a government issued ID.

For people over 65 the number drops to 82%

It's lower for minorities (75% for African-American and 84% for Hispanics)

But way more than half of the adults in America have a government ID

As to passports, the percentage of people who have one is totally not significant to anything. It doesn't matter how many Americans have a passport, it only matters how many Americans who travel outside of the country to a location that requires one that have one. I would guess that number to be fairly close to 100%

If there was a problem with the passport, it would have been nice if the TSA agent mentioned it so it could be resolved. I was going into the UK once and the agent thumbed my passport and said it's borderline because the lamination was coming off, I should get a replacement one as some agents would not accept that. I thanked him and renewed it. If the TSA agent saw something that could cause the person problems with a real official who looked at the passport, they should have mentioned as a nice thing to do.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by cordelli
Surveys indicate 89% of adults have a government issued ID.

For people over 65 the number drops to 82%

It's lower for minorities (75% for African-American and 84% for Hispanics)

But way more than half of the adults in America have a government ID

As to passports, the percentage of people who have one is totally not significant to anything. It doesn't matter how many Americans have a passport, it only matters how many Americans who travel outside of the country to a location that requires one that have one. I would guess that number to be fairly close to 100%
Sorry, by 'government' ID, I meant something other than a DL/state ID. I will edit my post to reflect that.

So if the TDC doesn't like/is suspicious of my DL, I suspect most Americans don't have another form of government ID (passport, military ID, NEXUS, etc).

An admittedly unscientific survey of co-workers and friends turned up three types of 'government-issued' ID: passport (few), DL (everyone), military ID (few). Most only have a DL, and if a TDC decides the DL is questionable for some reason, none were carrying a birth certificate/social security card/marriage certificate/photo credit card. Co-workers have a company photo ID, but we're specifically prohibited from using it for anything off-site. One person had the Costco card, and looking at the website, it becomes clear why TDC's would accept a Costco card as secondary proof of identity. I don't have one.

This issue isn't about the passport - the issue is a TDC who doesn't like the passport or DL that you present. If the TDC demands a second valid ID, I think many people will be caught out. I don't carry a DL when I travel abroad. I don't carry my passport when I travel domestically. I don't carry my birth certificate, marriage certificate, social security card around in my wallet. My credit card does not have a photo. I have a company ID that I am not allowed to use for this purpose (and I don't carry it during personal travel anyway). Conversations with family and co-workers indicate that I'm not particularly unusual in this regard.

Last edited by chollie; Feb 16, 2012 at 12:36 pm
Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:52 pm

chollie,

You are referring to if a pax does not produce a valid primary photo ID. If you had no primary valid photo ID to begin with, I won't let you proceed but someone else will.

The link I posted was NOT to refer you to that rule you pointed out. It was to reference secondary forms of ID FOR verification. The ID has been validated via our UV light and other details on the ID but your photo may be outdated (such as Arizona DL, which concerns me due its outrageous expiration date of 2056) or it's in bad condition that may prompt a TSO to verify with a secondary ID. SS card (for those who carry; I don't) and credit cards are great as it bares the name and the card can be authenticated.

Hopefully this clears it up a bit. Wow it feels like I'm back on the checkpoint after leaving for the day.

Scott

Last edited by scott523; Feb 16, 2012 at 1:03 pm
Old Feb 16, 2012, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
chollie,

You are referring to if a pax does not produce a valid primary photo ID. If you had no primary valid photo ID to begin with, I won't let you proceed but someone else will.
I take the point of the OP as the TSA employee not accepting a valid primary photo ID. While your reasons for potentially not accepting a form of ID might be reasonable in other situations, they don't apply in the situation as laid out by the OP, who explicitly stated that the TSA employee said passports are only valid for international travel. This TSA employee was clearly wrong.

I've also had a TSA employee tell me my DL, which had expired a month prior, was no good because it was expired - also clearly wrong.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Caradoc
What's the difference? The TSA has repeatedly defended allowing known terrorists to travel by air by claiming that it's not their bailiwick. They're supposed to keep "forbidden items" off the plane, not "forbidden people."

http://www.newswithviews.com/Emord/jonathan221.htm

The waving of the magic flashlight is pure theatre on the TSAs part.
I agree that merely checking an ID is pointless from a security perspective, but MY point is that if TSA wants us to follow their little rules, they should at least be familiar with them, too.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 1:47 pm

chollie,

The link I posted was NOT to refer you to that rule you pointed out. It was to reference secondary forms of ID FOR verification. The ID has been validated via our UV light and other details on the ID but your photo may be outdated (such as Arizona DL, which concerns me due its outrageous expiration date of 2056) or it's in bad condition that may prompt a TSO to verify with a secondary ID. SS card (for those who carry; I don't) and credit cards are great as it bares the name and the card can be authenticated.

Hopefully this clears it up a bit. Wow it feels like I'm back on the checkpoint after leaving for the day.

Scott
Thanks, Scott523, but I'm still confused. I was looking at the list of secondary forms of ID, and it indicates that these forms have to include pax name (of course) plus at least one of the following: DOB, address, photo, gender.

My credit card contains none of these.

Also, if it isn't SSI, how would you authenticate my credit card (which according to your link, doesn't contain the required elements anyway)?
Old Feb 16, 2012, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
Again what do you expect from rejects recruited from pizza boxes.

Again your average TSA employee couldn't tell a fake from a legit ID, and has been proven ad neasuem.

Heck im still given grief over a government ID that has background and security checks more stringent then the FSD even had to get there job. After a few death stares they get the point if not I get to make the point well known to everyone in earshot there incompetent and need to be fired. I refuse to show a ID that has my address or DOB on it for government actors as they cant be trusted.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA 1PP MM
Presented my passport card with international boarding pass - man in blue asked me how they stamped it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.