Wiki Posts
Search

Can my wife fly??

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2012, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Can my wife fly??

Hi ,

My wife and I are suppose to be flying from O'hare to miami this march. She does not have a governemnt id, and we recently filed for her immigration paperwork. We are unsure if her permits will be here in time before we fly. We have been married for over a year now and her passport has recently expired...What forms of id can she bring to fly? Would it be possible for her to bring our marriage certificate and expired passport?? If she gets her work permit in time, can she use that?? Please help me with any suggestions , Thank You!
Old Jan 5, 2012, 8:43 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
expired passport should be fine. They just need official picture identification.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 8:46 am
In memoriam

Does she have a driver's license?
Old Jan 5, 2012, 8:46 am

I tried that for a domestic flight once, and got put through the wringer. Better check with the airline, or someone official.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sheryl
Does she have a driver's license?
She has a foreign Licsense only....
Old Jan 5, 2012, 8:59 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
I would make it easy on yourselves

Have her get a US Drivers License.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by squeakr
Have her get a US Drivers License.
We are waiting for her social security card to come then she can get her US License...my lawyer said it might take 3 months cause of government cutbacks(staff reduction)
Old Jan 5, 2012, 10:00 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Welcome to Flyertalk.

Any chance she can renew her passport? Not sure how easy that will be.

Otherwise either a state ID or drivers license if the social comes soon enough and there's time to process the license or ID if you are in a state that does them on the spot.

She can take a chance without the ID and go through the verification process, but I would save that as the very last resort.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 10:51 am

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
I know that this does not answer your question, but I am curious how a non-US citizen can legally be in the US without a valid passport?

I am an American expat living in Cyprus and I cannot be here in Cyprus with an expired US passport. In fact, my residency permit can be affected by my passport expiration. For example, my current passport expires in April 2013, but I am applying for a 5-year residency permit this June. Therefore I have to renew my passport early (before June 2012) in order for it to be valid for the 5 years of my residency permit.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Cause it expired after we got married...She entered the US legally, and we recently filed the proper US Immigration papers, in which it does not matter anymore if her passport is expired because she is my wife and when we got married last year US law states she is an immediate family member of mine.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jimmyp25
Cause it expired after we got married...She entered the US legally, and we recently filed the proper US Immigration papers, in which it does not matter anymore if her passport is expired because she is my wife and when we got married last year US law states she is an immediate family member of mine.
Can she get a non-driver ID from the state you guys live in? Seriously, I would try to get her non-US passport renewed. We have a foreign national friend who is a legal permanent resident. He has to go to his country's consulate in DC every few years to get his birth country's passport renewed in order to stay here. I would think that it would be fairly easy for her to get her passport renewed while in the U.S.

Having said all this, please recognize that the government uses the TSA (and the TSA has taken it upon itself) for all sorts of non-airport security law enforcement purposes under the guise of voluntarily surrendering to screening in search of the "big catch." A voice inside me says that you are asking for trouble if you show up at a TSA checkpoint with anything less than a current passport or a non-driver license ID issued by a U.S. state.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Can she get a non-driver ID from the state you guys live in? Seriously, I would try to get her non-US passport renewed. We have a foreign national friend who is a legal permanent resident. He has to go to his country's consulate in DC every few years to get his birth country's passport renewed in order to stay here. I would think that it would be fairly easy for her to get her passport renewed while in the U.S.

Having said all this, please recognize that the government uses the TSA (and the TSA has taken it upon itself) for all sorts of non-airport security law enforcement purposes under the guise of voluntarily surrendering to screening in search of the "big catch." A voice inside me says that you are asking for trouble if you show up at a TSA checkpoint with anything less than a current passport or a non-driver license ID issued by a U.S. state.
Thank You for your input. well I just talked to my lawyer and they said she can go to her embassy, which is in the same city we live in. Renew the passport, and just bring her work permit with when flying with the updated passport, visa will not matter for domestic flights..

Thank You So Much For Your help everyone!!!!! Ill update you guys in march!!! HAPPY FLYING!
Old Jan 5, 2012, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much

You have to have a social security number for geting a non -driver ID.
At least in CA.
I dont drive so I know that.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by Jimmyp25
It does matter depending where you are in the Immigration Process and what forms have been filed and approved. You may have filed an I-130 and if approved that means the US government recognizes that your wife is an immediate family member. That by itself does NOT give her Immigration status nor does it mean that she is legally in the United States nor does it mean that she doesn't need a valid passport.

What matters most is if the I-485 has been filed. That is the form is used to adjust status from a non-immigrant to a Lawful Permanent Resident. If it has been approved you will be given a letter and a temporary ADIT stamp until her permanent card is manufactured (that can take awhile). Care to guess where CIS puts that temporary ADIT stamp. You guessed it, in your passport. If the I-485 has been filed but not approved yet, you will have a 797 to show a receipt of the filing. I suggest that you carry this.

Since your wife is not completely through the adjustment process, it really is in your and her best interest to renew her passport. At best it can avoid many possible problems, and at worst you will have the piece of mind of having a valid identity document.

FB

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.