Wiki Posts
Search

Some TSOs are getting cold feet

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2012, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Some TSOs are getting cold feet

This picture is from a friend whose flight left Arcata/Eureka Airport (ACV) this morning. The foot warmers had been removed from the suitcase, and this note was left. I checked the TSA website, and there seems to be nothing prohibited about these items, even when you consider looser definitions of some of the prohibited items. Upon further research provided in post #4, it would seem these were incorrectly removed.

On a side note, I also like the paragraph about lighters being prohibited in carry-on luggage. It would be something one could test at ACV considering one lighter is now allowed. I'm sure the TSOs at ACV, however, will insist that the website is out of date, even if they provide the URL as they did on that sheet.

Last edited by Majuki; Jan 2, 2012 at 3:16 pm
Old Jan 2, 2012, 2:30 pm

It all depends on what "feet warmers" are. I've seen some hand warmers and/or foot-warmers that work based on chemical reactions; they could plausibly contain substances that are prohibited by FAA regs.

Of course, I'm completely speculating here --- more so than usual, in fact. But, absent additional information, I'm not ready to draw a conclusion one way or the other just yet.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by Majuki
This picture is from a friend whose flight left Arcata/Eureka Airport (ACV) this morning. I checked the TSA website, and there seems to be nothing prohibited about these items, even when you consider looser definitions of some of the prohibited items.
I interpreted that note as saying "what we thought was suspicious in your bag turned out to be your feet warmers". How did you interpret it?
Old Jan 2, 2012, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
There was no interpretation. The feet warmers were removed from the suitcase. I will update the OP to reflect that.

Grabber, the manufacturer of the warmers in question, has both the MSDS and a letter stating safety of the product under their FAQ page.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
It all depends on what "feet warmers" are. I've seen some hand warmers and/or foot-warmers that work based on chemical reactions; they could plausibly contain substances that are prohibited by FAA regs.

Of course, I'm completely speculating here --- more so than usual, in fact. But, absent additional information, I'm not ready to draw a conclusion one way or the other just yet.
Yeah, I would think a package of those chemical warmers would be prohibited. The FAA doesn't like anything that could possibly cause fire.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 3:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Yeah, I would think a package of those chemical warmers would be prohibited. The FAA doesn't like anything that could possibly cause fire.
I wonder if those little light tubes that you snap to 'turn on' would also fall into this category. They don't generate heat, but there's some sort of chemical activation going on.

They're useful for night diving/snorkeling.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Majuki

This picture is from a friend whose flight left Arcata/Eureka Airport (ACV) this morning. The foot warmers had been removed from the suitcase, and this note was left. I checked the TSA website, and there seems to be nothing prohibited about these items, even when you consider looser definitions of some of the prohibited items. Upon further research provided in post #4, it would seem these were incorrectly removed.

On a side note, I also like the paragraph about lighters being prohibited in carry-on luggage. It would be something one could test at ACV considering one lighter is now allowed. I'm sure the TSOs at ACV, however, will insist that the website is out of date, even if they provide the URL as they did on that sheet.
As jkhuggins has stated, it all depends upon what exactly you mean by "foot warmers". Can you provide a link to something so that we can better understand what you mean?

Without that, I would have to guess what has already been stated here: they violated FAA regulations as hazardous material.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SATTSO
Can you provide a link to something so that we can better understand what you mean?

Without that, I would have to guess what has already been stated here: they violated FAA regulations as hazardous material.
A simple Google search of the company brings up the website. As noted above, the website has the following info

http://www.warmers.com/Pdf/airlinesafety.pdf
http://www.warmers.com/Pdf/msds.pdf
http://www.warmers.com/FAQ.aspx#anchor_7
Old Jan 2, 2012, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by Tom M.
A simple Google search of the company brings up the website. As noted above, the website has the following info

http://www.warmers.com/Pdf/airlinesafety.pdf
http://www.warmers.com/Pdf/msds.pdf
http://www.warmers.com/FAQ.aspx#anchor_7

Well, that's pretty clear. I don't think I've ever reviewed an MSDS quite so full of "n/a". But, god forbid someone would actually check -- simpler to just chuck it. Less taxing on the brain.

~~ Irish
Old Jan 2, 2012, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
You think in this day and age of product liability lawsuits, a company would sell something that you put in you gloves and shoes that could start a fire? As stated in the PDF link above, they have NFPA/HMIS Hazard classifications of 0 for Flammability, Reactivity, and Health.

I use Grabber warmers myself; they're a great product. A threat to commercial aviation? Only in the mind of an uninformed screener.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by mahohmei
Could this simply be that a TS"O" wanted the foot warmers, so they stole them, then left a note pretending they're prohibited?

I had heard of airport security rent-a-goons doing this before 9/11 with things like batteries.
I believe there is no prohibited from checked bag. There is no restrictions on TSA site. You should write email to TSA to get file complaint against the bag screeners. No one should taking it away from checked bags. I knows there is no potential threat at all.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
I wonder if those little light tubes that you snap to 'turn on' would also fall into this category. They don't generate heat, but there's some sort of chemical activation going on.

They're useful for night diving/snorkeling.
As you say, they don't generate heat. Why would they be an issue?

The warmers, though--if a box of them got damaged and released their heat faster than they were supposed to...
Old Jan 2, 2012, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N965VJ
You think in this day and age of product liability lawsuits, a company would sell something that you put in you gloves and shoes that could start a fire? As stated in the PDF link above, they have NFPA/HMIS Hazard classifications of 0 for Flammability, Reactivity, and Health.

I use Grabber warmers myself; they're a great product. A threat to commercial aviation? Only in the mind of an uninformed screener.
They don't burn, that doesn't mean that something couldn't happen that would allow them to light something else on fire.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by IrishDoesntFlyNow
Well, that's pretty clear. I don't think I've ever reviewed an MSDS quite so full of "n/a". But, god forbid someone would actually check -- simpler to just chuck it. Less taxing on the brain.
To be fair ... how would a TSO (or a STSO, or an LTSO) check on such a thing? Granted, I've never been in a luggage screening area, but I'm guessing that it's not flush with Internet-connected computers or MSDS safety sheets or whatever else might give the answer needed.

Again, this is one of the consequences of TSA's default policy: passengers have to prove that their items are safe to fly, to the satisfaction of the TSA. If there was a presumption that all items were safe unless the TSA proved them unsafe, we'd be having a whole different set of conversations here.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 10:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA
[QUOTE=Loren Pechtel;17734911]They don't burn, that doesn't mean that something couldn't happen that would allow them to light something else on fire.[/QUOT

Except that they can't get hot enough to start anything on fire.

I've travelled loads with hand warmers and occassionally with the foot warmers since so many of my trips are to cold places with no electricity. I've never had a problem transporting them either in checked baggage or carry-on.

Looks like you just ran into an agent who didn't know better (I hope!).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.