Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

How much radiation are you exposed to on a plane?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2011, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Silver

A friend of mine just sent me this article; it's a pretty interesting read:

http://boingboing.net/2011/10/20/how...n-a-plane.html

So, I wonder if the next time one of the security folks tells me that I'm silly for opting out, because I get more radiation flying close to the sun, I can respond that that's mostly neutrons, which are non-ionizing, as opposed to the stuff from his blue boxes, which are ionizing? Can you imagine the blank stares I'd get in response?

(My technical knowledge is not in an area to say if one is worse than the other -- I'll let someone else chime in with that -- I'm more just commenting on the entertainment of the reaction.)

Ottermatic
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:49 pm

Programs: HH-S WS-G
http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/f...n_profile.html
Old Oct 20, 2011, 1:16 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP; CO OnePass; Hilton Platinum
Originally Posted by Ottermatic
A friend of mine just sent me this article; it's a pretty interesting read:

http://boingboing.net/2011/10/20/how...n-a-plane.html

So, I wonder if the next time one of the security folks tells me that I'm silly for opting out, because I get more radiation flying close to the sun, I can respond that that's mostly neutrons, which are non-ionizing, as opposed to the stuff from his blue boxes, which are ionizing? Can you imagine the blank stares I'd get in response?

(My technical knowledge is not in an area to say if one is worse than the other -- I'll let someone else chime in with that -- I'm more just commenting on the entertainment of the reaction.)

Ottermatic

Neutron radiation is considered the most severe and dangerous of all radiation exposure. It most definitely is ionizing just in a different way than protons and electrons.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 12:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ilee1990
Neutron radiation is considered the most severe and dangerous of all radiation exposure. It most definitely is ionizing just in a different way than protons and electrons.
Now it's my turn to have the blank stare.

Ottermatic

P.S. A neutron walks into a bar. He sits down and orders a beer. The bartender brings him his drink, and the neutron asks, "how much?" The bartender says, "eh, no charge."
Old Oct 21, 2011, 4:45 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Maybe it is neutrinos, the particles that were measured moving faster than the speed of light. (Now being questioned and doubted.) It lasted long enough to inspire the following:

Bartender: I'm sorry, we do not serve neutrinos here.

A neutrino walks into a bar.

Seriously, someone smarter than me tells more here.

Pull quote:

I was using a personal alarm dosimeter that relies on ionizations to work, and neutrons don't ionize things.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 6:58 am

Programs: Delta, United
There is a much simpler rebut: "If you want to nuke your nads that is yer choice but I prefer mine like they are"

More seriously, the real issue to me is a credibility issue. TSA and the mfg can say what they want but the lack of independent data is the real problem.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
There is a much simpler rebut: "If you want to nuke your nads that is yer choice but I prefer mine like they are"

More seriously, the real issue to me is a credibility issue. TSA and the mfg can say what they want but the lack of independent data is the real problem.
What, you don't trust a manufacture to be 100% honest when they are trying to sell a 250,000 dollar machine?

Last edited by unLogical; Oct 21, 2011 at 8:56 am
Old Oct 21, 2011, 11:23 am
Original Poster

There could be a great t-shirt here. "Sorry man, no rads for my nads."

I agree. Someone could tell you that you get more radiation brushing your teeth, but if I know how much radiation I get brushing my teeth, and I don't know how much radiation I get stepping into your magic box (and, quite frankly, the person telling me that also doesn't know how much radiation I get stepping into his magic box), then guess what? I'm not going to step into the magic box.

Ottermatic
Old Oct 21, 2011, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Ottermatic
Now it's my turn to have the blank stare.

Ottermatic

P.S. A neutron walks into a bar. He sits down and orders a beer. The bartender brings him his drink, and the neutron asks, "how much?" The bartender says, "eh, no charge."
Proton walks up to an attractive woman in a bar, says hello, if he could buy her a drink. She declines, saying, "no way, you repel me." He asks, "are you sure?" She says, "yup, I'm positive."
Old Oct 23, 2011, 4:28 pm

A Z boson asks the lady if he can buy her a drink. "No," she says and he asks why. She tells him it's because his stuff is weak.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.