FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   "SSSS" - Secondary Security Screening Selection (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1266500-ssss-secondary-security-screening-selection.html)

aviators99 Dec 18, 2008 12:09 am

"SSSS" - Secondary Security Screening Selection

I was de-planed from my flight due to a delay, so I ran across the airport to catch a flight on another airline. The gate agent sold me a ticket and printed out my boarding pass. I didn't notice until after I got on the plane that it was an SSSS boarding pass! Should the GA have done anything about that, or is it the kind of thing that should be ignored?

oneofthosepeopleyouloveto hate Dec 18, 2008 12:56 am

The gate agent should have sent you back to the checkpoint to be screened (yeah, I know -- that makes absolutely 0 sense) or called the TSA to come to the gate to screen you.

aviators99 Dec 18, 2008 1:03 am

Originally Posted by oneofthosepeopleyouloveto hate (Post 10927215)
The gate agent should have sent you back to the checkpoint to be screened (yeah, I know -- that makes absolutely 0 sense) or called the TSA to come to the gate to screen you.

Well, I'm glad she didn't, since they had already closed the doors and re-opened them for me...This happened yesterday, and on today's flight I checked-in fine, so I guess I didn't get added to any list!

Do you suppose I was flagged because I was on two flights at once?

Spiff Dec 18, 2008 1:04 am

Originally Posted by oneofthosepeopleyouloveto hate (Post 10927215)

Uh, no. If the haraSSSSee has a non-haraSSSSment BP either arriving into or departing from the airport where the haraSSSSee is already airside, then the haraSSSSee may be "on-ed" (boarded) without receiving haraSSSSment.

Spiff Dec 18, 2008 1:06 am

Originally Posted by aviators99 (Post 10927234)
Do you suppose I was flagged because I was on two flights at once?

You were flagged because the CRAPPS haraSSSSment algorithm used the following criteria to haraSSSS you:
  • last minute purchase
  • one way
  • possible lack of FF/purchase history with airline

oneofthosepeopleyouloveto hate Dec 18, 2008 1:28 am

Uh, no. If the haraSSSSee has a non-haraSSSSment BP either arriving into or departing from the airport where the haraSSSSee is already airside, then the haraSSSSee may be "on-ed" (boarded) without receiving haraSSSSment.
This may be true ... we're not privy to all the rules airlines operate under!

People are rebooked all the time, and come back through the checkpoint with SSSS boarding passes as a result, and they're not exempted simply because they were rebooked. (I generally advise them to try to get the airline to give them a non-SSSS boarding pass in the future.)

I've also been called to do gate screenings on people whose SSSS boarding passes were issued airside ... they clearly didn't come through the checkpoint (no initials on the passes). Didn't inquire as to the circumstances ... just screened them and sent them on their way.

aviators99 Dec 18, 2008 1:35 am

Originally Posted by Spiff (Post 10927243)
You were flagged because the CRAPPS haraSSSSment algorithm used the following criteria to haraSSSS you:
  • last minute purchase
  • one way
  • possible lack of FF/purchase history with airline

Sounds right. You just reminded me that I never got to give my FF#

gj83 Dec 18, 2008 1:37 am

Originally Posted by oneofthosepeopleyouloveto hate (Post 10927280)
(I generally advise them to try to get the airline to give them a non-SSSS boarding pass in the future.)

I'm batting 1000 at never getting an airline to remove the SSSS from a BP...even after addition of a FF number or seat change. They usually blame it on you, but I know it really does come from the airline and not directly from TSA.

I'm also batting 1000 at airlines disregarding the SSSS if I've already cleared security.

mikeon Dec 18, 2008 3:02 am

deleted

GUWonder Dec 18, 2008 4:01 am

There is no "may" about it -- what Spiff said is absolutely true.

The airline is able to remove the haraSSSSment selection also.

NY-FLA Dec 18, 2008 6:04 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 10927502)
The airline is able to remove the haraSSSSment selection also.

I've seen them remove SSSS, right in front of me. It takes a modicum of skill/experience, an agent who/wants/needs to do it. (And imminent departure delay is a very good motivator).

Meanwhile it's kind of laughable that the TSO's are back at the check-point sincerely assuming that all those SSSS's generated spuriously need the attention of their circus. :rolleyes:

Global_Hi_Flyer Dec 18, 2008 7:37 am

Originally Posted by NY-FLA (Post 10927727)
Meanwhile it's kind of laughable that the TSO's are back at the check-point sincerely assuming that all those SSSS's generated spuriously need the attention of their circus. :rolleyes:

Especially since the whole point of an SSSS is to keep a "selectee" from bringing anything "bad" into the sterile area.... if you let 'em past the checkpoint, then they could easily hand off an item to a non-selectee, who could then get it on the plane.

More proof that this is more for show and harassment then it is for real security (much like the cop that writes a ticket for someone that has done nothing wrong simply because the cop knows it will be a hassle for the receiver of the ticket to challenge it).

goalie Dec 18, 2008 9:44 am

People are rebooked all the time, and come back through the checkpoint with SSSS boarding passes as a result, and they're not exempted simply because they were rebooked. (I generally advise them to try to get the airline to give them a non-SSSS boarding pass in the future.)

I've also been called to do gate screenings on people whose SSSS boarding passes were issued airside ... they clearly didn't come through the checkpoint (no initials on the passes). Didn't inquire as to the circumstances ... just screened them and sent them on their way.

as Spiff points out, you were flagged because of the CRAPPS haraSSSSment algorithm as it is so stoopit, that it can't figger out that you are alread booked and ticketed and now a victim of an irrops re-booking.

afaic, if a rebooking results in winning a massage, then the agent who re-booked the pax should be able to remove it (and the "i'm sorry, we don't have the authority to do that" doesn't cut it-that's what supervisors are for-especially airside. also, there is absolutely no reason what-so-ever that a screener should come and do a maSSSSage on an airside re-booking-other reasons, yes but a rebooking maSSSSage, n-f-w as it's a waste of resources

DevilDog438 Dec 18, 2008 10:11 am

The one time I was SSSS'd, both of my BP had the dreaded haraSSSSment crap. I refuse to show ALL of my BP to the TSA, only the BP for the particular flight segment originating from their airport. I was not stopped at the gate in ATL for my second BP not having the magic scribbles.

studentff Dec 18, 2008 11:08 am

If they can present their original non-SSSS boarding-pass alongside their new SSSS one, I thought they were supposed to be exempt. (Not an issue in airports with only one checkpoint, just show your non-SSSS BP; but at airports where different airlines are in gates areas not connected airside it becomes an issue.)