Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

"SSSS" - Secondary Security Screening Selection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"SSSS" - Secondary Security Screening Selection

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2018, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I got SSSSed for the first time in June. KLM flight to the US ex AMS.
At the boardng podium, I was directed to a separate desk where they took my passport and boarding pass, and pointed me to the inspection desk right in front of the jetway. There were a few chairs to sit in while waiting your turn. I gave the wife our shared carry-on bag, our duty free bag and a small backpack we packed souvenirs in while we waited. Then proceeded to the inspection desk. Swabbed my shoes, the outside of the ots messenger bag I kept with me and my Kindle. Glanced at my documents. On we go. Could have had anything in the bags I gave my wife in full view. So what exactly is the point?
Amusingly, the lady behind me - a mature American woman completely unaware of the extra "security" check indicated by the esses - told me when she saw them on her printed BP she got all excited because she thought they meant she was getting an upgrade!
STBCypriot likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 1:42 pm

I got SSSS for the first time today in Vienna. The check in agent said that now I'd probably get it a lot, but the lounge agent begged to differ, saying it was random. It took
35 minutes, so I'd suggest taking care of it early, as this got dangerously close to flight time. I was sent to a dedicated room and had to take everything out of my carry on bag, and take all of the covers off devices. In addition to the normal screening, many swabs were taken. One of them came back with an unclear result, so a police officer was called and the testing was done again, this time with clear negatives. There were maybe 10 people in the room with me, though my process took longer. A priest and an elderly woman
in a wheel chair were among my companions.
Old Nov 26, 2018, 12:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Mickidon
I got SSSS for the first time today in Vienna. The check in agent said that now I'd probably get it a lot, but the lounge agent begged to differ, saying it was random. It took
35 minutes, so I'd suggest taking care of it early, as this got dangerously close to flight time. I was sent to a dedicated room and had to take everything out of my carry on bag, and take all of the covers off devices. In addition to the normal screening, many swabs were taken. One of them came back with an unclear result, so a police officer was called and the testing was done again, this time with clear negatives. There were maybe 10 people in the room with me, though my process took longer. A priest and an elderly woman
Although I was a Delta Platinum member (the highest level at the time) in one particular year I was SSSSed twice. Interestingly, in both cases it was only for the TLV-JFK segments -- I received Pre-Check for the domestic and return flights.

The only thing it means in Israel is that I cannot check in online. The first time I got it, the agent called Security, they asked to see both my US and Israeli passports. The next time, the agent told me that they don't even do that anymore -- they just ignore the SSSS. Of course, Israeli Security knows more about me before I even get to the airport than the TSA in the States would if they gave me their most thorough check.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 4:10 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Mickidon
In my not so modest experience in this area, I would say it’s unlikely you will get it a lot — even as it’s more likely you’ll get it again, if you’re a relatively frequent EU-US flyer — unless you start getting it repeatedly, consistently and without interruption on domestic flights. Of the US persons on Schengen/EU-US flights whom I’ve seen get SSSS boarding passes, most of them mostly don’t get the SSSS flag more than on a small minority of their trips.

Over the past 7 years, I have never seen an SSSS holding boarding pass passenger with checked baggage fail to make their Schengen-US flight merely due to being subject to SSSS screening. It may happen, but it’s so infrequent that I wouldn’t show up any earlier than for any flight on which I have checked luggage and can’t complete online check-in with a boarding pass for whatever reason. When my travel party members of sort can’t do OLCI with Star Alliance carriers for my EU-US flights, it’s now more often because of a PreCheck boarding pass than any SSSS flagging; and while this means we are somewhat more likely to show up earlier to the airport, it’s not because of SSSS screening times — it’s because of delays from waiting to deal with an airline/airline contractor rep in perso .
Old Dec 9, 2018, 8:21 pm

I recently flew CDG-ORD with my wife on AA, booked on the same reservation. The tickets were one way because my Europe arrival ticket was booked with another airline. We are both Global Entry and have flown with AA many times. I knew something was fishy when I was unable to get my electronic boarding pass.

I got to the airport and saw the dreaded SSSS on my boarding pass. The agent put a "BE AT GATE 1 HOUR BEFORE DEPARTURE" sticker on the pass. Passengers with certain last names were called to the gate desk about 20min before boarding. A group of Chinese nationals were in line, but everyone else was American. At the gate, I was asked if I had packed my own bags and if I had bought anything at the airport other than in the shops. Next, I was sent to a security line in the jetway. I was instructed to remove my shoes and the agent looked inside and swabbed them. She also swabbed all of my bags. Everything was cleared in about 10min.

During the search, I had a chat with the agent and asked why I was selected. She said it was random. I complained and said that when I arrive in Europe as a foreigner, I am not subjected to this type of screening, so why should I be subjected to this screening when returning to the US? I also mentioned that I've been to about 25 countries and have never had to deal with this type of BS except when returning home. That's when she said that this screening is done by Israel and the US and that I can blame American policy for it.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by poisson
I recently flew CDG-ORD with my wife on AA, booked on the same reservation. The tickets were one way because my Europe arrival ticket was booked with another airline. We are both Global Entry and have flown with AA many times. I knew something was fishy when I was unable to get my electronic boarding pass.

I got to the airport and saw the dreaded SSSS on my boarding pass. The agent put a "BE AT GATE 1 HOUR BEFORE DEPARTURE" sticker on the pass. Passengers with certain last names were called to the gate desk about 20min before boarding. A group of Chinese nationals were in line, but everyone else was American. At the gate, I was asked if I had packed my own bags and if I had bought anything at the airport other than in the shops. Next, I was sent to a security line in the jetway. I was instructed to remove my shoes and the agent looked inside and swabbed them. She also swabbed all of my bags. Everything was cleared in about 10min.

During the search, I had a chat with the agent and asked why I was selected. She said it was random. I complained and said that when I arrive in Europe as a foreigner, I am not subjected to this type of screening, so why should I be subjected to this screening when returning to the US? I also mentioned that I've been to about 25 countries and have never had to deal with this type of BS except when returning home. That's when she said that this screening is done by Israel and the US and that I can blame American policy for it.
The flagging for US-bound flights is a result of US governmental requirements made upon US carriers — and increasingly upon foreign carriers as a condition of some foreign carriers access of sorts to certain US programs/allowances.
Old Dec 12, 2018, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder

The flagging for US-bound flights is a result of US governmental requirements made upon US carriers — and increasingly upon foreign carriers as a condition of some foreign carriers access of sorts to certain US programs/allowances.
I know that American Airlines has had the ICTS security people for years at CDG and other EU airports for flights going to the US, but usually it was just some questions at check-in or maybe a few questions at the gate.

The SSSS thing, is that separate from the ITCS screening? I've never seen SSSS on my boarding pass, nor have I ever been swabbed or required to remove my shoes at a gate before. SSSS can be issued for domestic flights too, right?
Old Dec 13, 2018, 3:35 am
Suspended

I know that American Airlines has had the ICTS security people for years at CDG and other EU airports for flights going to the US, but usually it was just some questions at check-in or maybe a few questions at the gate.

The SSSS thing, is that separate from the ITCS screening? I've never seen SSSS on my boarding pass, nor have I ever been swabbed or required to remove my shoes at a gate before. SSSS can be issued for domestic flights too, right?
The flagging selection is a selection done by the government; and it is a selection done by the airline/airline security contractor; and sometimes it a selection that would have been done by both.

SSSS can be issued for domestic US flights, but then that is now most commonly a targeted direction for selection by the government.

Last edited by TWA884; Jul 26, 2019 at 9:44 am
Old Dec 13, 2018, 7:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry

I got the ITCS version of SSSS at CDG. Me, contents of my carry on, and my shoes all got swabbed. Nothing on my boarding pass and no additional screening once we arrived in the US.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 12:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Randyk47
I got the ITCS version of SSSS at CDG. Me, contents of my carry on, and my shoes all got swabbed. Nothing on my boarding pass and no additional screening once we arrived in the US.
That’s typical when flying from Europe on US carriers using ICTS (personnel or technology). But it’s also typical when flying from Europe on US carriers and hit with a SSSS flag by orders of the US Government even where ICTS isn’t involved. However, in the latter kind of situation, it’s more likely to involve SSSS flagging for the domestic US segment too, although then there may be leakage when the passenger comes from a US CBP Preclearance airport.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Hey, you want silly? I'm a US gov't employee and got the SSSS on a recent flight inbound to the US, while on official travel (with gov't passport). If it's not random then USG needs to sort out its hiring!
Old Dec 17, 2018, 5:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by drewguy
Hey, you want silly? I'm a US gov't employee and got the SSSS on a recent flight inbound to the US, while on official travel (with gov't passport). If it's not random then USG needs to sort out its hiring!
It’s not random that a minimum number of passengers on some US-bound flights must be hit with SSSS per US demands even if that means the quota is hit in large part or entirely by “random” SSSS hits for a given US-bound international flight; but it’s also possible to work for the NSC and be hit with SSSS on US-bound international flights due to airline/airline-contractor-driven selection that is anything but truly random.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:37 pm

I am planning to fly Norwegian Air from the US to Europe, but their website does not allow multi-city booking, which means I have to book a separate ticket for the return flight.

I am guessing that this will definitely trigger SSSS on the boarding pass. Did anybody experience this issue in the past when purchasing a separate ticket for the return flight?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 2:23 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

I almost always book separate tickets for the outgoing and return flights. I have never received SSSS.
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by catocony
I flew Austrian last week, VIE-IAD, and had no interview or gate baggage inspection. Just regular airport security after outbound Immigration.

I checked in on-line, so the only time I dealt with anyone at Austrian was at the Senator Lounge and at the gate, where they checked my boarding pass to get me into the status/business seating area at the gate.
Austrian flights to the US now have extra security screening, but no extra interview.

I had to go through the “SSSS” extra screening before my flight to the US last week.
The outstation checkin staff (I flew within Europe to VIE before my flight from VIE to the US) didn’t mention any specific procedure that I would have to follow when connecting at VIE because the BP for my US flight had “SSSS” printed on it, so I went to my departure gate as usual, expecting to have to go through some extra screening at the gate.
I arrived at the departure gate just as premium boarding started, and the gate agent sent me to a service desk further down the terminal for extra screening processing. The screen by the service desk said "Document check and security screening for flights to USA, Israel, <+ one or two more countries that I don't remember>"
After having my passport checked, I was taken to a screening station across the hall where I had to unpack everything from my carry-on before it was x-rayed and I had to go through a metal detector. The screening process took about 20 minutes, mostly because of the backup caused by everyone having to unpack and repack their carryons, and then I was given my (excessively) stamped BP and was allowed to walk back to my departure gate. The carryon was never tagged in any way to show that the contents had been screened.

There is a major flaw in the procedure: I could easily have left some of my carryon items (or the whole bag) with someone at the departure gate, gone through the extra screening without the bag, and then picked it up before boarding my flight.

I got SSSS-ed on my latest flight back to the US. It was a one-way award ticket.

Last edited by TWA884; Jan 3, 2019 at 12:14 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.