'SSSS' on boarding pass

Old Jul 22, 19, 1:57 pm

Had a somewhat unusual experience at the secondary screening before boarding QR to the US at DOH. SSSS on bp. I was never pulled out of the line; my carryon was rapidly swabbed and I received a casual patdown, but I always moved along with everyone else. No questioning.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Jul 22, 19 at 2:02 pm
Old Jul 22, 19, 2:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly View Post
Had a somewhat unusual experience with SSSS before boarding QR to the US at DOH. Never pulled out of the line; carryon was swabbed and I received a half-hearted patdown, but I always moved along with everyone else. No questioning.
That’s in the range of normal when flying QR’s DOH-US flights.

About cursory pat downs as part of being a SSSS target, except in Mexico, my SSSS screenings’ pat-downs at the gates in Latin American airports have been very cursory too and given the impression of being as you characterized them.
Old Aug 10, 19, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
I just flew Warsaw to Chicago on LOT Polish Airlines and had the SSSS on my boarding card. In the screened off area, they just swabbed my bag, laptop, hands, and shoes. Less than 5 minutes.
Old Sep 17, 19, 8:32 am

I got SSSS on the flight from Toronto to Boston this April. It was a round trip and booked a month earlier, with a few days stay in Boston. So everything looked normal. No idea why I was selected for ssss. I never got SSSS before when I was holding Chinese passport to US. But this trip was the first trip since I changed to Canadian passport traveling to US. So I was wondering if it was the trigger. And I'm also worried does it mean I will receive SSSS in the future for every flight to US?
Old Sep 17, 19, 11:45 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
1 time is a very poor sample size for an analysis. Even if you were a member of a TT program, which if you are eligible and not already you should consider Nexus, members are subject to random searching via the SSSS protocol.
If you had a previous customs violation or other behavior that could get you flagged that would be something to be worried about but just getting it once isn't a big deal.

PS, welcome to FT.
Old Sep 17, 19, 12:23 pm

Thanks Yoshi212. I'm having another flight to NY at the end of this month. So I'll be back to share the update. Good luck to me.
Old Sep 17, 19, 12:30 pm

I've had GE for 7 years. No interview required at renewal.
Four flights ago (this was AMS-SFO), I got SSSS.
Never happened before, hasn't happened since. It's random.
And in AMS at least, it was no big deal. Took 3-5 minutes.
Amusing anecdote, the lady waiting for secondary behind me told me when she OLCI'd she thought the esses meant she was going to get an upgrade!
Old Sep 18, 19, 6:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
5+ years ago, I used to get SSSS hits on about 20% of my flights from Europe to the US, and the frequency of the hits got worse for me after GE membership than before GE membership.

In more recent years, I get SSSS hits on less than 10% of airline flights from Europe to the US; but my mix of carriers (also meaning frequency of carrier use) is different than before; and I am less likely to use airports where CBP has had people in place for IAP than I used to be; and I'm older and more likely to encounter airport contract screeners who have seen me repeatedly than used to be the case.

Within the last 9 months, I've had zero SSSS hits IIRC. DL has been the US carrier with which I've had the fewest SSSS hits and definitely the lowest frequency of SSSS hits when flying US carriers from Europe or Asia to the US.

Last edited by TWA884; Sep 18, 19 at 3:43 pm Reason: Opinion/commentary not practical travel security/safety advice/information
Old Feb 27, 20, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat., NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I flew to AKL this past weekend to attend the Celebration of Life for @wijomas. As a result, I booked two one-way tickets. No issues with the outbound ticket and PreCheck was on all three BPs. I've had NEXUS/GE for 11 years and never had an issue as well as no SSSS since shortly after 9/11/01.

Upon checking in at AKL on Monday, I received SSSS for the AKL-SFO BP and PreCheck did not appear on the SFO-MCI flight. SSSS screening simply consisted of having my laptop, iPad and shoes ran through ETD just before getting to the gate. No issues clearing security at AKL and easily able to use the WTMD ^. Upon landing at SFO, I tried to get my BP fixed so PreCheck would appear, though no dice. Later, upon numerous messages to/from AskTSA on Twitter, we found out a second KTN had been inputted in the Redress field and upon its removal, PreCheck appeared for the final flight. Not sure if the one-way ticket or the dup # caused the issues ex-AKL, but a much better experience than had it been SSSS with TSA contract workers at SFO.
Old Apr 15, 21, 11:13 am

Receiving SSSS outside the US; US bound flight

I checked in at PTY (Panama) a bit ago on AA, to MIA and on to LAX.

Receved SSSS on my PTY>MIA boarding pass. Security screening was as normal - I'm not even sure anyone looked or made note.

Anyway, just curious - I very seldom get SSSS, (not in many many years), and never flying into the US. Curious what others' experiences have been.

EDIT: Answered my own question - additional screening was at the gate. Guess I"m a bit naive to that.

Last edited by Presguy; Apr 15, 21 at 12:30 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: