Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

"SSSS" - Secondary Security Screening Selection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"SSSS" - Secondary Security Screening Selection

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2008, 12:20 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by studentff
If they can present their original non-SSSS boarding-pass alongside their new SSSS one, I thought they were supposed to be exempt. (Not an issue in airports with only one checkpoint, just show your non-SSSS BP; but at airports where different airlines are in gates areas not connected airside it becomes an issue.)
i'm gonna call ymmv on this one. no offense to our resident tsa folks, but imho, it's gonna end up being "screener discretion" and y'all know how that usually goes..... (and besides, most pax don't know* or are not smaht <boston accent> enough* to keep their original/irrops bp when re-booked

*or are at least not f/t'ers )
Old Dec 18, 2008, 12:37 pm

Programs: I work for the TSA
Meanwhile it's kind of laughable that the TSO's are back at the check-point sincerely assuming that all those SSSS's generated spuriously need the attention of their circus.
Well, not really! When I have to SSSS a passenger who doesn't fit the typical profile, I usually ask them if their flight was rebooked, and 99% percent of the time, that's the case. I then inform them that the airline agent COULD have removed the SSSS, and saved them the hassle, but didn't bother to do so ... and encourage them to keep that in mind next time they're in the market for a plane ticket.

there is absolutely no reason what-so-ever that a screener should come and do a maSSSSage on an airside re-booking-other reasons, yes but a rebooking maSSSSage, n-f-w as it's a waste of resources
Agreed.

Quote:
If they can present their original non-SSSS boarding-pass alongside their new SSSS one, I thought they were supposed to be exempt. (Not an issue in airports with only one checkpoint, just show your non-SSSS BP; but at airports where different airlines are in gates areas not connected airside it becomes an issue.)

i'm gonna call ymmv on this one. no offense to our resident tsa folks, but imho, it's gonna end up being "screener discretion" and y'all know how that usually goes..... (and besides, most pax don't know* or are not smaht <boston accent> enough* to keep their original/irrops bp when re-booked
It wouldn't be TSA folks making the call here; it would be the GA.

Only a few categories of folks with an SSSS can be exempted by TSOs -- for instance, young children flying with parents who aren't SSSS.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 2:24 pm

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by oneofthosepeopleyouloveto hate
I then inform them that the airline agent COULD have removed the SSSS, and saved them the hassle, but didn't bother to do so ... and encourage them to keep that in mind next time they're in the market for a plane ticket.
The airline checkin agents supposedly have the capability to remove SSSS for a re-booked pax when the pax presents their previous non-SSSS BP, but I'm not sure of the success rate for getting that accomplished.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 3:52 pm

The airline checkin agents supposedly have the capability to remove SSSS for a re-booked pax when the pax presents their previous non-SSSS BP, but I'm not sure of the success rate for getting that accomplished.
Like I said upthread...when I've been rebooked on Delta or US and I see the SSSS on my rebooked BP I always ask the agent if they can reissue me a new BP without the SSSS. The agent always says "TSA selected you, I can't remove it" then TSA says "your airline has chosen you for additional screening". I know the latter is true, but others might not.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 8:24 am

Programs: US former CP Looking for a new airline to love me
Success rate? Without supervisor intervention, and a lot of b%@$ing, my success rate is zero. With US Air even with "supervisor" intervention and a lot of b%@$ing, my success rate is still zero.
SSSS appearing behind the circus tent that some continue to claim is a check-point? Never had an issue. Success rate for that, then is 100%
Old Dec 19, 2008, 3:37 pm

Programs: constantly questioning DHS
Originally Posted by gj83
Like I said upthread...when I've been rebooked on Delta or US and I see the SSSS on my rebooked BP I always ask the agent if they can reissue me a new BP without the SSSS. The agent always says "TSA selected you, I can't remove it" then TSA says "your airline has chosen you for additional screening". I know the latter is true, but others might not.
CAPPS rules and algorithms are governed and written by TSA, and airlines must implement them. The airline is doing it because they have to.

The rules quoted below are sort of true....The actual rule is if you are rebooked on the same day, due to something out of your control (like weather) the SSSS can be removed....IF the agent is knowledgeable, and has the original boarding pass. Of course, this rule is rather vague and not all airlines utilize it and some airlines reservations systems are more automated than others.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 9:17 pm

aviators99:

Do the right thing: turn yourself in to the nearest TSA CP for a voluntary SSSS additional screening. Yes, yes, it IS after the fact and all, but it's the right thing to do. Won't take long, and we'll all feel so much safer.

Better yet, see if TSA won't make a house call. I'll just bet they know where you live.
Old Dec 25, 2008, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lumpy
aviators99:

Do the right thing: turn yourself in to the nearest TSA CP for a voluntary SSSS additional screening. Yes, yes, it IS after the fact and all, but it's the right thing to do. Won't take long, and we'll all feel so much safer.

Better yet, see if TSA won't make a house call. I'll just bet they know where you live.
If they make a house call, I guarantee they'll find something on me that's "disallowed".
Old Dec 25, 2008, 12:33 pm

HAHAHA! On me, it would be my copy of Colorado's "Make My Day" law.
Old Dec 25, 2008, 1:53 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
SSSS Deselection when reticketed from another airline

Originally Posted by goalie

*or are at least not f/t'ers )
Did this semi-successfully at CVG T2 on Mon after an AA involuntary reroute, misconnect, and reticketing on DL w/ SSSS, at the suggestion of the TSA ID-checker no less. WTMD TSO sent both sets of boarding passes to a supervisor(?) who supposedly deselected us and and told us to keep the new and old stapled together. However, our BPs still got flagged at the gate for "Random" security screening, which the GA managed to clear up (ignore) after our explanation.

Had no idea this was possible but will definitely remember for next time. Thanks to a TSO - whodathunkit?

Keywords: SSSS deselect reticket
Old Dec 25, 2008, 3:03 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I was flying lga-stl-las a few years ago, when I printed my bp's none of them were SSSS; in stl my upgrade cleared and that boarding pass did have SSSS, which the admirals club agent was able to suppress (I was airside). On my return trip las-dfw-lga, the las-dfw bp (inherited) the suppressed SSSS.
Old Dec 25, 2008, 4:25 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by dstan
However, our BPs still got flagged at the gate for "Random" security screening, which the GA managed to clear up (ignore) after our explanation.
The gate BP reader just beeps to remind the GA to check your BP to make sure you've received the TSA Seal of HaraSSSSment. That BP reader doesn't make any selections.
Old Dec 25, 2008, 5:22 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Wirelessly posted (iPod Touch: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

Originally Posted by Spiff
The gate BP reader just beeps to remind the GA to check your BP to make sure you've received the TSA Seal of HaraSSSSment. That BP reader doesn't make any selections.
Oh, I know. That's why "Random" was in quotes.

Last edited by dstan; Dec 25, 2008 at 5:23 pm
Old Dec 29, 2008, 9:52 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Good Advice on Rebookings

Originally Posted by gj83
Last night, DL rebooked me to US on a LAS to LAX flight because of Delta's IRROP's on my previous flight segment. At the US ticket counter at LAS, I got two surprises from the agent: "You are booked in first class (even though I was paid coach on DL)", and "You have been selected for additional screening" Boarding pass said "Seat 1A" and had a big "SSSS" on it."

The ticket agent also said to make sure the TSA marked my boarding pass after completing secondary screenig. I imagine that was so the gate agent would not send me back if the TSA forgot to mark my boarding pass.

Anyway, the LAS TSA at least was polite and professional at the secondary screening. They made a big deal of saying (twice!) "The airline selected you for additional screen" (So don't blame us?)

I guess armed if the knowledge here, I could at least ask a ticketing agent to remove my SSSS if due to IRROPS.
Old Dec 29, 2008, 1:01 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Four people were bumped last night from MSY-ORD on UA and put on the later AA flight. I was waiting in line for my AA boading pass and the pax in front of me (another bumpee) had a BP from AA spit out with "SSSS" on it. The agent, to his credit, crossed out the "SSSS" and put his initials by it and told the pax to ignore it. This is at an airport where the last time I was there did the randon gate screenings.

My BP came out without the "SSSS", perhaps because I had the agent enter my Platinum number.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.