Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

"SSSS" - Secondary Security Screening Selection

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"SSSS" - Secondary Security Screening Selection

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2016, 9:43 am

Sadly, a Known Traveller Number (KTN) does not affect SSSS status for flight to the USA.

Eligibility for PreCheck--either through Global Entry, Nexus, SENTRI, or PreCheck enrollment affects only flights within the United States or flights departing the United States operated by US carriers.

Carriers are required to select an estimated 10 or 15 percent of passengers for secondary screening for flights destined to the United States. It would be logical if they only picked people who had not been vetted by trusted traveller programs. But either the algorithm doesn't include that, or the flight hasn't yet met its quota of selectees, so they choose more.

SSSS designation from within the USA is generated by a version of the CAPPS and CAPPS-2 systems along with watch lists. The FAA (and now TSA) design the system, the airlines are the ones who implement it.

Overseas, an airline may use some form of this system, such as flights from Canada and Mexico. In other countries, contract security agents interview passengers (twice) and may be the source of selecting "SSSS" passengers. In many cases, you're just pulled out of line on a continuous basis until the 10 or 15 percent threshold has been met.

In my experience, Canada is the only country that implements secondary screening at the regular security checkpoint for passengers with SSSS designation. The other airlines do this at the gate. (I'm excluding Israel from this discussion since security procedures at its four commercial airports are so different from the rest of the world.)

Lastly, there can be massive variation in what an SSSS earns. In the US, it means a speech from the TSA agent, long strokes of pressing all over one's body--including the groin--and testing the agent's gloves for explosives. Shoes, belts, wallet contents, and bags are also inspected and swabbed.

In other countries (Canada) it might mean a visit to a full-body imaging machine. Some may require detailed questioning (the UK). And the overwhelming majority just put on a brief show of frisking or wanding or just hand luggage inspection. But this is dependent up on the airline, airport, and which contract security agency has been hired.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 10:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Redress numbers only help if you are on one of the watch lists because you are a close match to someone who does belong on the list or somehow made your way onto a list for reasons which should not be.

But, those numbers do not get you out from seconday "SSSS" treatment for either random or other reasons which could include one-way tickets, paid for with other than a CC in your name, purchased on short-notice and so on.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Redress numbers only help if you are on one of the watch lists because you are a close match to someone who does belong on the list or somehow made your way onto a list for reasons which should not be.

But, those numbers do not get you out from seconday "SSSS" treatment for either random or other reasons which could include one-way tickets, paid for with other than a CC in your name, purchased on short-notice and so on.
I wonder if there is any lawsuit filed by anyone who feels harassed and mistreated with repeated SSSS?
Old Jun 11, 2016, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
So if I get upgraded at the gate, what am I supposed to do if it reflects SSSS, and I've already been through SSSS procedures on my original boarding pass? I'm concerned that the helpful comments made by daniellam don't apply to domestic AA flights.

By the way, I was added to the SSSS list by a Flagship lounge employee in LHR.

Last edited by beachfan; Jun 11, 2016 at 3:31 pm
Old Jun 12, 2016, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by beachfan
So if I get upgraded at the gate, what am I supposed to do if it reflects SSSS, and I've already been through SSSS procedures on my original boarding pass? I'm concerned that the helpful comments made by daniellam don't apply to domestic AA flights.
I was told at the time that if the original boarding pass had reflected SSSS and had been appropriately signed by the security checkpoint, rescreening would not have been necessary.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry

Curious to know how a Flagship lounge employee added you to the SSSS list? Did they tell you they had and why?
Old Jun 12, 2016, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt

Pm me about this
I had a particularly nasty agent do this at flagship too and have escalated it.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by Randyk47
Curious to know how a Flagship lounge employee added you to the SSSS list? Did they tell you they had and why?
In my case I hadn't gone through the questions because I checked in online. Thought I'd be efficient and do it there. the woman was super flippant and didn't ask clear questions then got mad at me for not answering how she wanted. She clicked a few keys then printed out boarding pass with the SSSS. I called her out and she said I wasn't compliant. I raised all hell (politely and quietly of course) and there are now multiple levels of LHR and DFW HQ staff involved. Pm me if you had a similar experience and I'll share their info w you.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 9:31 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
They took my original boarding pass out of the room with my passport and came back with new boarding passes marked SSSS. She didn't say she did anything.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by linglingfool
I was told at the time that if the original boarding pass had reflected SSSS and had been appropriately signed by the security checkpoint, rescreening would not have been necessary.
Great, thanks.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 10:41 pm

I strongly suspect the agent flagged you based on unsatisfactory question responses. This is what happened w me and i got her to admit it once the supervisor was involved
Old Jun 15, 2016, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, AS 75k
I am a little confused by what questions a lounge attendant would possibly have had to ask a pax that would result in SSSS.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 8:02 pm

This is discussed in the American Airlines AAdvantage forum.

Unlike other US carriers, American has its own staff asking the security questions for flights out of larger European gateways. This is new for American. Previously, American--like other US airlines--hired contractors like ICTS to ask the questions.

<redacted by moderator>

Last edited by TWA884; Jun 17, 2016 at 10:25 am Reason: Policy debate, not Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues advice/information.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 3:59 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by Mats
This is discussed in the American Airlines AAdvantage forum.

Unlike other US carriers, American has its own staff asking the security questions for flights out of larger European gateways. This is new for American. Previously, American--like other US airlines--hired contractors like ICTS to ask the questions.

<redacted by moderator>
UA's checkin agent was asking questions the last time I was in ZRH (and they gave me one of those stickers), I've never flown a US carrier to the US before so can't really compare to other situations. I did however see some suited men milling around the AA checkin in ZRH on a different journey.

Last edited by TWA884; Jun 17, 2016 at 10:26 am Reason: Conform to moderator's edit of quoted post
Old Jun 21, 2016, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by samosa
I am a little confused by what questions a lounge attendant would possibly have had to ask a pax that would result in SSSS.
They get a yes/no prompt on their PC for something like "traveller answered all my questions in a satisfactory way". They choose No and you get the SSSS. Simple.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.