FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   New way to deal with TSA giving you lip about a NEXUS card (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1259911-new-way-deal-tsa-giving-you-lip-about-nexus-card.html)

N1120A Sep 17, 11 12:35 pm

New way to deal with TSA giving you lip about a NEXUS card
 
I had a 3 striper not too long ago screw up and think NEXUS was "no longer on the list." He seemed genuinely dumb to it, but went back to the list and found it. He told me that if I get any guff about it in the future, tell the TDC that its number 7 on the SOP list.

I did just that at ORD, and totally threw the (insult redacted by Moderator) off. He started huffing and puffing about things like "this guy must be DHS or something" and called over a 3 striper, who he mentioned the "number 7" thing to. Unlike most of his colleagues, he instantly told the TDC that the card was certainly valid and actually apologized to me.

This might be a new technique to make sure the rules are followed, addresses protected and delays don't happen

WillCAD Sep 17, 11 12:45 pm

Cool.

Wonder what number is a US-issued passport or passport card?

SFO777 Sep 17, 11 1:03 pm


Originally Posted by N1120A (Post 17125831)
I did just that at ORD, and totally threw the (insult redacted by moderator) off. He started huffing and puffing about things like "this guy must be DHS or something" and called over a 3 striper, who he mentioned the "number 7" thing to. Unlike most of his colleagues, he instantly told the TDC that the card was certainly valid and actually apologized to me.

^
OT, but I was reminded how great NEXUS this week. Arrived at YUL Tuesday at about 5:45p to find about 300 pax snaking their way to the manned C&I booths. No one at the NEXUS kiosks and I was in my rental car less than 3 minutes later. :cool:

InkUnderNails Sep 17, 11 1:50 pm


Originally Posted by N1120A (Post 17125831)
I had a 3 striper not too long ago screw up and think NEXUS was "no longer on the list." He seemed genuinely dumb to it, but went back to the list and found it. He told me that if I get any guff about it in the future, tell the TDC that its number 7 on the SOP list.

I did just that at ORD, and totally threw the (insult redacted by moderator) off. He started huffing and puffing about things like "this guy must be DHS or something" and called over a 3 striper, who he mentioned the "number 7" thing to. Unlike most of his colleagues, he instantly told the TDC that the card was certainly valid and actually apologized to me.

This might be a new technique to make sure the rules are followed, addresses protected and delays don't happen

I just put a little label on the back of mine that says exactly that.

It seems that turning it over is the clue that it is going to be a fun ride.

N1120A Sep 17, 11 2:09 pm


Originally Posted by WillCAD (Post 17125879)
Cool.

Wonder what number is a US-issued passport or passport card?

I'm pretty sure a passport is number 1.


Originally Posted by InkUnderNails (Post 17126125)
I just put a little label on the back of mine that says exactly that.

It seems that turning it over is the clue that it is going to be a fun ride.

Actually, I've noticed even the ones who "get it" turn it over. There are various indicators on the back.

goalie Sep 17, 11 8:04 pm


Originally Posted by N1120A (Post 17125831)
I had a 3 striper not too long ago screw up and think NEXUS was "no longer on the list." He seemed genuinely dumb to it, but went back to the list and found it. He told me that if I get any guff about it in the future, tell the TDC that its number 7 on the SOP list.

I did just that at ORD, and totally threw (insult redacted by moderator) off. He started huffing and puffing about things like "this guy must be DHS or something" and called over a 3 striper, who he mentioned the "number 7" thing to. Unlike most of his colleagues, he instantly told the TDC that the card was certainly valid and actually apologized to me.

This might be a new technique to make sure the rules are followed, addresses protected and delays don't happen

Bolding mine: Nicely done ^ and I can't wait for someone to post something like this.....

TDC: What's your name?
Pax: Number 7 on the list ;)

jkhuggins Sep 17, 11 8:15 pm


Originally Posted by goalie (Post 17127421)
TDC: What's your name?
Pax: Number 7 on the list ;)


I am not a number! I am a human being!

troyb Sep 18, 11 10:37 am

Is the Global Entry Card on this list? If so, what number is it?

squeakr Sep 18, 11 10:44 am

STOP with the personal insults already....
 
It's not OK to bandy about words like "jerk" "idiot" "buffoon" etc. in reference to TSA employees, or each other for that matter. You all know better than that.

squeakr
Co-Mod TS/S Practical Issues

RevJim Sep 18, 11 9:26 pm


Originally Posted by troyb (Post 17129494)
Is the Global Entry Card on this list? If so, what number is it?

Yep this is the important question... we should all start asking about this every time the TDC calls over a 3-striper. Just try to make it sound casual enough that you don't get the full junk-touching treatment.

The last TSA Screening Management SOP manual that has been released via FOIA request was dated 2008 and doesn't have an item 7. :(

SFOSpiff Sep 18, 11 10:20 pm


Originally Posted by N1120A (Post 17125831)
He told me that if I get any guff about it in the future, tell the TDC that its number 7 on the SOP list.

Why should I have to do TSA's job for them?

Besides, it's bad enough that they don't know what IDs are on their approved list, but it's in the top ten.

squeakr Sep 18, 11 10:24 pm

reminder..this is the TS/S PRACTICAL issues board
 
We now have some info courtesy of the OP re the #7 - let's leave it at that.

thanks

squeakr

co MOD TS/S Practical Issues

N1120A Sep 18, 11 10:50 pm


Originally Posted by squeakr (Post 17129526)
It's not OK to bandy about words like "jerk" "idiot" "buffoon" etc. in reference to TSA employees, or each other for that matter. You all know better than that.

squeakr
Co-Mod TS/S Practical Issues

My apologies, though it wasn't because he is a TSA employee. It was because of his behavior.

BTW, I like those (redacted by mod) bits :p

janetdoe Sep 19, 11 1:01 am


Originally Posted by N1120A (Post 17132414)
My apologies, though it wasn't because he is a TSA employee. It was because of his behavior.

Exactly. On the AA forum, we call AA employees DrAAgons when they are being jerks or idiots, or when they are power-tripping. We call them AAngels when they are particularly nice or helpful. Maybe we need a set of monikers for TSA employees to correctly flag them when their behavior is contrary to TSA policy or standards, or when they provide good customer service.

Here are some candidates; please let me know if my definitions or usage is incorrect - it's rare that I pull up a list of words and don't know the definition of half of them, but the "words containing TSA" list frequently had me stumped. :D

Good
peTSAi - a chinese cabbage (think French - mon petit chouchou)
TSAddiq - a good person (Yiddish)

Bad
TSAr / TSArina
floTSAm or jeTSAm
voeTSAk (Afrikaans epithet meaning "worthless")

And for good all-around fun, try something like this: "I went through security at EWR on the Sunday after Thanksgiving and there was no delay whaTSOever!!" ^

RevJim Sep 19, 11 1:56 am


Originally Posted by janetdoe (Post 17132844)
Exactly. On the AA forum, we call AA employees DrAAgons when they are being jerks or idiots, or when they are power-tripping. We call them AAngels when they are particularly nice or helpful. Maybe we need a set of monikers for TSA employees to correctly flag them when their behavior is contrary to TSA policy or standards, or when they provide good customer service.

LOL. Great idea, but you are assuming that we even need a name for "when they provide good customer service". It happens so rarely that we could go ahead and just say "Agent X was really helpful regarding Y".

Here's a good list of words containing TSA, but jeTSAm is probably the best one, especially considering the literal meaning and the "jet" reference.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 9:35 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.