Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

New way to deal with TSA giving you lip about a NEXUS card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New way to deal with TSA giving you lip about a NEXUS card

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:47 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Nexus is #3, on this list:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...documents.shtm

Hey, at least give the 3-striper credit for going back and finding it...
Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by sbagdon

Did you tell him the website is out of date?
Old Sep 19, 2011, 1:18 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by chollie
Did you tell him the website is out of date?
Can't do that as that's SSI
Old Sep 19, 2011, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE

I actually thanked the guy and shook his hand at BUR, then spent some time showing the various clerks at the checkpoint what the card looks like. It was the UA/DL/AA side of BUR, which tends to be run much better than the WN/B6 side, where they attack people for trying to take food on board for their elderly mother.
Old May 14, 2012, 6:56 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I am bumping a thread to correct an error.

I started thinking about where I first heard that NEXUS is #7 on the SOP list. I thought it was from a resident TSO, but I finally found this thread. From Post #1:

I had a 3 striper not too long ago screw up and think NEXUS was "no longer on the list." He seemed genuinely dumb to it, but went back to the list and found it. He told me that if I get any guff about it in the future, tell the TDC that its number 7 on the SOP list.
It would be nice if one of our resident TSO's would provide the numbered list.

Unless, of course it is SSI.
Old May 14, 2012, 10:54 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
I am bumping a thread to correct an error.

I started thinking about where I first heard that NEXUS is #7 on the SOP list. I thought it was from a resident TSO, but I finally found this thread. From Post #1:

It would be nice if one of our resident TSO's would provide the numbered list.

Unless, of course it is SSI.
If the list is in the SOP manual, then it's automatically SSI, since the entire manual is SSI.

I keep hoping that a TSO or former TSO will send the SOP manual anonymously to someone on FT so it can be published. I'd settle for the numbered list of acceptable IDs, although what I really, really want to see is the SOP for scanning and patting down travelers.
Old May 14, 2012, 11:50 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WillCAD
If the list is in the SOP manual, then it's automatically SSI, since the entire manual is SSI.

I keep hoping that a TSO or former TSO will send the SOP manual anonymously to someone on FT so it can be published. I'd settle for the numbered list of acceptable IDs, although what I really, really want to see is the SOP for scanning and patting down travelers.
And therein lies a problem.

A simple solution that would help both traveler and TSO at absolutely no additional risk or loss of safety can not be implemented as it is contained in a manual that is protected by the SSI designation.

This is the sort of stuff that genuinely infuriates me due to its stupidity.

Maybe we should start asking, "What number on the list was that?" when the odd ID's are finally approved and report back here. Maybe we can build a list, one ID at a time.

Gee, this frosts my pumpkin.
Old May 14, 2012, 11:51 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by WillCAD

I suspect the SOP is all-digital, with no local print-outs, just to prevent leaking and allow immediate updates.

This is the time I wish I had a Native American tribal photo id. Think NEXUS is bad?
Old May 14, 2012, 1:18 pm

I suspect the SOP is all-digital, with no local print-outs, just to prevent leaking and allow immediate updates.

This is the time I wish I had a Native American tribal photo id. Think NEXUS is bad?
The SOP may be primarily in digital form. However, when the TDC has used the "This ID is #7 on your SOP list" label, they went immediately to a ring binder at the one of the TDC desks, looked at a certain page, and approved the NEXUS. Some of it at least is printed, bound, and available at the TDC podium.
Old May 14, 2012, 6:07 pm

Programs: CX GO, TSA Pre✓ Afflictions: TSASS
The TSA has published a list of acceptable IDs here:

I just print out a copy of that and carry it with my itinerary. If I meet a TDC who doesn't like my ID I show them the printout. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
Old May 14, 2012, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by RevJim
The TSA has published a list of acceptable IDs here:

I just print out a copy of that and carry it with my itinerary. If I meet a TDC who doesn't like my ID I show them the printout. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
I have tried to hand it to them and they just look away.

I have had them to take it and drop (throw?) it on the floor.

They have taken it and thrown it away without looking.

They have taken it, turned it upside down on the podium.

I have been told it is out of date.

I have been told that anyone can fake a printout.

I have had a few that looked at it and read it in my presence. Most just hand it back and continue their refusal.

I even went to the trouble to print out business cards with the url on it so that it could be looked up.

Lately, since the label, I am near 100% without escalation. Before, it was about 50%. It may be training, it may be the label. It may be a combination.
Old May 15, 2012, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
The SOP may be primarily in digital form. However, when the TDC has used the "This ID is #7 on your SOP list" label, they went immediately to a ring binder at the one of the TDC desks, looked at a certain page, and approved the NEXUS. Some of it at least is printed, bound, and available at the TDC podium.
The SOPs can be in digital form, but where I work all of them are hard copies in locked cabinets in the STSO offices.
Old May 19, 2012, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Wish I'd seen this last week. I've been using the Global Entry card (with Sentri on the back) for months, as it's easier to get out of my wallet than my driver's license. Last week at DFW Terminal E, I had a TSA Agent hand it back to me and say, "We don't take this." I politely said, "It is a government issued ID." He called another agent over, who also looked at it and said, "Can I see your drivers license? You don't have to take it out of your wallet." I showed it to him and went on.

Now, I have a copy of the above Web page, and I'll see if it works next time there's a challenge.
Old May 21, 2012, 10:55 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
"Can I see your drivers license?"

What do they expect from people who don't drive?
Old May 21, 2012, 12:12 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by kebosabi
"Can I see your drivers license?"

What do they expect from people who don't drive?
I'm sure they'll use their TSA logic: "If you don't drive, how did you get to the airport? "

I wonder if they ask blind people for their driver's licenses...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.