Anyone altering travel plans around 9/11?

Old Sep 9, 11, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt, Marriott, Delta, Alaska
Anyone altering travel plans around 9/11?

I have no plans to travel around then, but I know that many of you do. I'm just curious as to what degree the increased risk and/or security protocols might cause some to modify their plans.
Old Sep 9, 11, 8:56 am

Programs: DL PM, Hertz Gold Plus, SPG Gold
My boyfriend is flying ex-BOS tomorrow morning. He decided, for once, not to pack a bag. I can only imagine what thousands of poor, innocent checked bags are going to experience this weekend out of "an abundance of caution".
Old Sep 9, 11, 9:24 am

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
I scheduled my regular back and forths to avoid 9/11 by a week on both sides. Or rather, I noticed and was glad when plans worked out that way.
Old Sep 9, 11, 9:30 am

Programs: AAPLT, RR Alist
Travel as usual for me.
The question is, is the TSA going to alter my travel plans "out of an abundance of caution?"
Old Sep 9, 11, 10:54 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by AUS2008 View Post
Travel as usual for me.
The question is, is the TSA going to alter my travel plans "out of an abundance of caution?"

And as for me, I purposely fly on 9/11* and have not missed an anniversary flight.

*9/10
SFO-BOS

9/11
BOS-IAD
IAD-JAX
JAX-IAD
IAD-SFO
Old Sep 9, 11, 10:59 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discv, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by goalie View Post

And as for me, I purposely fly on 9/11* and have not missed an anniversary flight.

*9/10
SFO-BOS

9/11
BOS-IAD
IAD-JAX
JAX-IAD
IAD-SFO
This will be the second time I have not flown on the anniversary of 9/11.
Usually I schedule a mileage run for the day, but family obligations prevented that this year.

I imagine a lot of Tootsie Pops will be given/consumed as goalie crosses the USA this Sunday. ^
Old Sep 9, 11, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Flying LHR-DFW-BDL on 9/11.

I'm not going to let the TSA win by not flying on that date.
Old Sep 9, 11, 11:26 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
I'd be more afraid of the TSA than anything else.

Assuming the weather and flight-restrictions cooperate, I may fly a general aviation plane on Sunday. Because I can. While I still can.
Old Sep 9, 11, 11:54 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
I am flying LAX-IAD-ABE on 9/11. I am not worried about it but my wife is. I am trying to explain to her how she is much safer on this day than she was in 01 and any other day since. My biggest fear is the travel disruptions that could occur based on any threats made or perceived threats. I am interested in any suggestions to prepare for these disruptions.

As a 1K on United, I am hoping that they will provide alternate arrangements and accommodations as they do normally, but in a local or systemwide problem, that may be challenging. I guess I just need to stay relaxed and patient and see how it plays out.

Given I am hitting LA and DC on that flight, disruptions on either side could get me.
Old Sep 9, 11, 2:58 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
OMG I wouldn't dream of flying on 9/11/11. I'm going to stay in bed with the covers over my head.
Old Sep 9, 11, 3:04 pm

Looks like 9/11 is a Sunday this year, so likely not. I'll be sleeping in and drinking beer the majority of the day, waiting for the scawwwy tewwowists to come round...
Old Sep 9, 11, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 1K, *G for "life", Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
TSA = an abundance of ***** more like.
Old Sep 9, 11, 3:33 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
No. Why should I?
Old Sep 9, 11, 6:06 pm

Programs: Priority Club, HHonors, United
Wish I could.

I had to train another hotel's night audit staff on the proper way to to the enter the numbers into an excel spreadsheet so that they can do the hotel's books. In addition to my night audit manager duties I train other hotel's audit staff on basic accounting functions.

I'm coming home flying SAN to ORD with a 2 hour layover in DEN on United.
Old Sep 9, 11, 6:11 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Billiken View Post
Originally Posted by goalie View Post

*9/10
SFO-BOS

9/11
BOS-IAD
IAD-JAX
JAX-IAD
IAD-SFO
This will be the second time I have not flown on the anniversary of 9/11.
Usually I schedule a mileage run for the day, but family obligations prevented that this year.

I imagine a lot of Tootsie Pops will be given/consumed as goalie crosses the USA this Sunday. ^
As many as I can (and then some )

Search this Thread