Community
Wiki Posts
Search

speculoos and tsa

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2013, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by psychephylax
ok....stupid question time..... does tsa classify speculoos spread as a gel and deny me bringing it aboard in a carry-on? the jars are glass and it has consistency of nutella. the crunchy version has bits and pieces.
Let me fix this for you...

Originally Posted by psychephylax
ok...question about our stupid government...
1) This stuff is really, really, really good. Like freaking super unbelievably yummy.

2) The idiots running TSA insist this is not only a gel, but a reasonable and significant threat to aviation. (Insert 1,000 sarcastic smileys here.) They may miss 75% of the guns during tests, but they NEVER miss food.

3) Your average TSA stooge loves to confiscate (e.g., forced surrender) things, particularly yummy things. Got cupcakes?

Given the indisputable facts above, there is no chance of getting your treat past the sticky fingered, child molesting goons, errr, ummm, I mean the fine OFFICERS on the Front Lines of the War Terror*. (Insert pukey smiley here.)

* - [For the NSA freedom fighters that are covertly reading my posts, rest assured that I have nothing but the utmost respect for the fine job our loyal public servants are doing.]
Old Jan 1, 2014, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
I also have concerns about cheese, which can range from a "real" gel to a solid block. I always put cheese in my checked luggage to prevent confiscation, so I guess speculoos would be the same.

TSA can declare anything to be anything else, without having to prove anything. I lost my very last P-38 can opener (if you ever ate C-rations, you know what I am talking about) to TSA (on the third of three security inspections that day); I was told it was a "weapon"; yet, my car keys were OK and they were just as sharp (and longer).
Old Jan 2, 2014, 2:16 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
Speculaas is the cookie. Speculoos is the spread.
Correcting this misperception. Speculaas (Dutch), Speculoos (French), Spekulatius (German) are all a name for the same thing - a biscuit made of a spiced dough, normally made with white flour and brown sugar.

A number of Belgian companies, believing that you can't have too much of a good thing, market spreads with a similar flavor under various names, including speculoos.

I have even had speculoos ice cream in a Belgian restaurant (excellent by the way).
Old Jan 7, 2014, 1:02 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by You want to go where?
Correcting this misperception. Speculaas (Dutch), Speculoos (French), Spekulatius (German) are all a name for the same thing - a biscuit made of a spiced dough, normally made with white flour and brown sugar.

A number of Belgian companies, believing that you can't have too much of a good thing, market spreads with a similar flavor under various names, including speculoos.

I have even had speculoos ice cream in a Belgian restaurant (excellent by the way).
Yes, in Brussels, the cookie itself is speculoos. I think they crumble up the cookies and put them into a spread similar to a nut butter like peanut butter. ETA: Wikipedia says vegetable oils: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speculo..._cookie_butter

So, OP, if you are looking for anecdotes, I believe it will be treated like peanut butter. It should be fine in your checked luggage, but likely won't make it through a security check in your carryon... unless you put a bottle of water next to it to distract the screeners.

Last edited by janetdoe; Jan 7, 2014 at 1:11 pm
Old Jan 7, 2014, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA, BA Avios, AMEX Plat
Agreed... needs to be in checked bags. Of course, you could just ship it.. or buy the Biscoff spread which is pretty damn close IMO: http://www.shopbiscoff.com/category/biscoffspread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.