Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

US's Parker: Expect TSA to Become Carry-On Police

US's Parker: Expect TSA to Become Carry-On Police

Old Aug 23, 2011, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by swanscn
And thinking charging at the gate will solve things I would imagine that would only increase the delays.
And just imagine the stampede to board. Late-comers could find themselves with a gate-checked bag and a hefty fee (some here have even proposed a penalty!). Gate lice trying to jump ahead of their boarding priority would multiply. Lots of people would develop "medical conditions" requiring pre-boarding. The whole idea is just a nightmare. Things are bad enough already.

Bruce
Old Aug 23, 2011, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by spd476
Didn't one of the airlines put sizing templates over the xray machine entrance a few years ago? They were removed after a different airline complained because they allowed larger carry ons. Today, the complaining airline probably wouldn't complain because it would likely result in more checked bag fees.
Yup, Continental sued United over it (and won).

Man, those two airlines hate each other. The only thing that would be worse than having them in the same terminal would be if they merged. But that could never happen.

Mike
Old Aug 23, 2011, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Wow, there's a surprise! Doug Parker and US trying to shift blame on a problem they helped to create. Oddly, US rolled out sizer boxes at the gate in the early 90s, but when Stephen Wolfe became CEO he ordered them removed because they did not convey his Global Airline of Choice vision he had (that was back when Envoy was winning awards, man how times have changed). Perhaps Parker can dig them out of whatever warehouse they've been sitting in since 1998.

Originally Posted by 14940674
If I am missing something here, please correct me.
It is up to each individual airline to determine what their carryon bag rules should be, and those are written into the Operations Specifications that the FAA signs off on. Having TSA employees trying to enforce all the different policies would be a disaster, and they have enough problems to deal with such as Red Team test failure that are off the charts.

Originally Posted by CavePearl
Of course.

And there should be one TSO assigned to every plane. (FTSO) Once boarding is complete the FTSO should have the responsibility of checking every mobile device to make sure the device is "completely-powered-down-not-in-airplane-mode."

FTSOs should also be deputized by the ATF. After the mobile device check is finished they can assist the FAs when handing out alcohol to make sure no one is under-age or over-served.
Hey, send the TSA guy over here to clean out all the crap that someone left behind in my seat pocket!
Old Aug 23, 2011, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Pax choice what to do next. Presumably back to counter to check it.
I'm sure that TSOs are positively salivating at the thought of people "Voluntarily Surrendering" their carry-ons... the contents of which to be sold on E-Bay, presumably.

Let's start a pool on the first TSO arguing that it has to fit through the template in "any orientation", and orienting the bag so it doesn't...
Old Aug 23, 2011, 3:17 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by N965VJ
It is up to each individual airline to determine what their carryon bag rules should be, and those are written into the Operations Specifications that the FAA signs off on. Having TSA employees trying to enforce all the different policies would be a disaster, and they have enough problems to deal with such as Red Team test failure that are off the charts.
Don't all US legacy carriers have the same carry-on restrictions: One bag (22''x14''x9''), and one personal item (briefcase, purse, etc.)? If so enforcement is relatively easy. Regardless I agree with you that bag enforcement is the job of airlines, not the TSA.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 3:30 pm

Don't all US legacy carriers have the same carry-on restrictions: One bag (22''x14''x9''), and one personal item (briefcase, purse, etc.)?
Don't know who counts as a "legacy carrier". US Airways allows 26"x14"x11".

And even if the legacy carriers have a common restriction of 22"x14"x9", why should this hypothetical system discriminate against the newer airlines (and, presumably, newer aircraft) that can handle larger carry-ons?
Old Aug 23, 2011, 3:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Often1
We simply disagree on the TSA issue. All I'm suggesting is that the sizer on the mouth of the X-Ray be dispositive. If the bag doesn't fit, it can't go through. Pax choice what to do next. Presumably back to counter to check it.
My point is that there are other airlines elsewhere in the world with far stricter carry-on policies than here in the US. Size and weight are pretty rigorously enforced - by the airlines. This is appropriate.

TSA hasn't even mastered the smallest details of its 'mission' yet, and as an organization, it manages to muck up whatever it touches.

If non-US airlines can work this out, why can't US airlines?

If this is designed to speed things up at the checkpoint, I don't see that happening. There are certainly frequent flyers who would get bounced - once. But I suspect that most of the folks who would be turned around and sent back to check a bag are going to be infrequent or first-time flyers (of which we have a never-ending supply). They don't fly frequently enough to be 'educated' by draconian penalties at the checkpoint.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 4:56 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by chollie
If non-US airlines can work this out, why can't US airlines?
^
Old Aug 23, 2011, 5:48 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by N965VJ
Perhaps Parker can dig them out of whatever warehouse they've been sitting in since 1998.
Pfft. Don't you know, the airline has reduced the allowable size since then...

Originally Posted by JoeBas
Let's start a pool on the first TSO arguing that it has to fit through the template in "any orientation", and orienting the bag so it doesn't...
I win.

Already had it happen by the imbeciles at LGW, who absolutely insisted that my small roller had to fit sideways in a sizer intended to fit things upright. (Sizer was built to fit "long side up-down" but morons insisted that it HAD to fit "long side left-right").

No, not the TSA, but a group equally problematic.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 8:33 pm

Programs: I still call it Onepass every now and then. Platinum.
Southwest used to have those "templates" over the belts at HOU several years ago (i.e. pre 9-11 and TSA). I'm not sure if they disappeared when the new terminal opened or when security became more standardized.

A pain in the read end, they were.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:20 pm

Programs: The usual suspects
Let's remember who made this statement, "Parker" from USAIRWAYS. Possibly the dimmest bulb in the bunch. What he is is looking for is free labor and someone else to blame. If US really wanted to do this they would put their people in place to handle the situation before it got to TSA's domain. But this would cost money, and Parker is against paying people (unless it is his overpriced friends). He caused the situation for his airline now he has to deal with it.
And thinking charging at the gate will solve things I would image that would only increase the delays.
At a Star Mega DO 2 event sponsored by US, Doug Parker announced that in the prior year, US had an operating profit of $400 million. And just by coincidence, baggage fees for the same period totaled $400 million.

No wonder he wants additional (free) personnel drumming up more checked baggage business.

I was a PIT-based Chairman's Preferred back in the 1990's logging 200,000+ miles per year, mostly with US. That was back in the day when US had by far the best FF program in the industry, especially at the CP level - always a free upgrade for me and my traveling companion, never a sold-out flight for me, always the award tickets of choice readily available. Yes, the times have certainly changed
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:34 pm

Programs: TSO, AS MVP, AOPA member, Private Pilot ASEL
Originally Posted by goalie
Just what we need

So what say our resident TSO's on this? My two hockey pucks say you would not be happy
If this were to happen (and I really doubt this one would come to pass), I'm in the "not a fan" column. Keeping tabs of how many carryons a passenger takes on board is and should remain the airline's responsibility. So long as there's no prohibited items in the bags, if a passenger wants to carry on 10 bags, hey go for it as far as I'm concerned.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:21 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
And what size, pray tell, should the sizer be?

Many checkpoints grant entry to a concourse which serves multiple airlines, each of which is entitled to its own standard on the maximum size of a carry-on. A single "one-size-fits-all" solution won't work.
Don't all US legacy carriers have the same carry-on restrictions: One bag (22''x14''x9''), and one personal item (briefcase, purse, etc.)? If so enforcement is relatively easy. Regardless I agree with you that bag enforcement is the job of airlines, not the TSA.
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Don't know who counts as a "legacy carrier". US Airways allows 26"x14"x11".

And even if the legacy carriers have a common restriction of 22"x14"x9", why should this hypothetical system discriminate against the newer airlines (and, presumably, newer aircraft) that can handle larger carry-ons?
AA- 22" x 14" x 9"
http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...false&from=Nav
CO- 14" x 9" x 22"
http://www.continental.com/CMS/en-US...D28C49E6270D96
DL- 22" x 14" x 9"
http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...ryon/index.jsp
UA- 22" x 14" x 9"
http://www.united.com/page/middlepag...ggage_policies
US- 14" x 9" x 22"
http://www.usairways.com/en-US/trave...epolicies.html
WN- 10" x 16" x 24"
http://www.southwest.com/html/custom...-bags-pol.html
Interesting. I didn't know that Southwest allowed slightly larger carry-on bags than the other major airlines. I was ready to argue in favor of a standardized sizer on the entrance of the baggage x-ray machines, but Southwest allowing larger bags sort of shoots my argument in the foot.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 4:58 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, SQ Krisflyer PPS, UA 1p, Marriot Lifetime Platinum, American EXP
Sitting here in the PHL airport waiting to board a US flight, the light bulb went on. Moving baggage size to TSA does not solve anything. The flight I am about to board has quite a bit of baggage. Most people have 2 bags of the proper size. The agents are already offering free gate check. SO they would have gone by TSA and the problem still exists.
Why does anyone pay attention to this man?
Old Aug 24, 2011, 6:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Sitting here in the PHL airport waiting to board a US flight, the light bulb went on. Moving baggage size to TSA does not solve anything. The flight I am about to board has quite a bit of baggage. Most people have 2 bags of the proper size. The agents are already offering free gate check. SO they would have gone by TSA and the problem still exists.
Why does anyone pay attention to this man?
Good point. Carriers simply don't have the will to enforce their own rules (which have the force of law once filed with FAA), even though FAA inspectors have been issuing citations to carriers and to individual GA's. FT itself is full of posts from outraged DYKWIA's who swear that their over-sized steamer trunk actually can be stuffed into an OH.

This is easy conduct to deter. Penalties to carriers for violations of their own rules need to be radically increased and the fees + penalties for over-sized bags should also be increased and collected at the destination so as not to delay boarding process. When some DYKWIA pays $100 for a first over-sized bag and has to wait an hour to collect it from the destination baggage office, it won't happen again. And, if the DYKWIA jumps ship to some other carrier, it won't be any different.

The key issue is to make it clear to pax that the sizer governs, not the question of whether the specific aircraft can possibly handle the bag.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.