Global Entry & Passport Renewal

Old Aug 15, 2011, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1MM
Global Entry & Passport Renewal

I need a new passport within the year. If I apply for GE now, with the current one, will everything in the CBP system update automatically when I renew (and will the new passport come with a sticker already in it)?

Also, I know they ask about work history, but how in depth do they get in that regard? Given the various trade secret-related NDAs I am under, I wouldn't want to be in a situation where it's either violate one of them or refuse to provide information that not only gets me denied from the program but also leads to extra scrutiny in the future.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 2:18 pm

Programs: AC Aeroplan - Elite Status. DL Skymiles - Regular Status
Originally Posted by JumboD
I need a new passport within the year. If I apply for GE now, with the current one, will everything in the CBP system update automatically when I renew (and will the new passport come with a sticker already in it)?

Also, I know they ask about work history, but how in depth do they get in that regard? Given the various trade secret-related NDAs I am under, I wouldn't want to be in a situation where it's either violate one of them or refuse to provide information that not only gets me denied from the program but also leads to extra scrutiny in the future.
Once your passport renews, you have to update it in the GOES system. (same goes for your driver's licence btw). The new passport does not come with the sticker, but you can walk into any GE office (no appointment), and they'll give you the sticker.

Regarding the work history, they ask for five years history. Everything in the past five years.

Your NDAs are not going to be violated. You have to disclose the places of employment, addresses, and the dates (no major details)

If you fail to disclose all places of employment (and they somehow find out), they will deny you GE.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 7:23 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 4mm / Free Agent / GE / Secret Handshake
Originally Posted by alexb133

If you fail to disclose all places of employment (and they somehow find out), they will deny you GE.
hmmmmm, interesting.... what makes be so sure about that? Just curious....

--J
Old Aug 15, 2011, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jcf27

--J
Pretty sure lying on the form at all is grounds for disqualification.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by jcf27

--J
Because the whole program is based on integrity, and telling the truth.

If you lie on the application, what makes them think you won't use the Nexus/GE lane for bringing prohibited goods etc.?
Old Aug 15, 2011, 7:38 pm

Pretty sure lying on the form at all is grounds for disqualification.
Yes absolutely - lying is a no-no.

The GE/Nexus program holds members to exceptionally high standards. (GE user can get heavily fined for an offence that a regular traveler would probably get away with a warning)
Old Aug 16, 2011, 8:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL

Your NDAs are not going to be violated. You have to disclose the places of employment, addresses, and the dates (no major details)
Yeah, unless you work for the CIA or something, disclosing your actual employer (as opposed to the substance of your work or with whom you contract) doesn't seem likely to violate an NDA. If you work for the CIA I imagine they can get you into GE through other avenues.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 8:43 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by drewguy
Yeah, unless you work for the CIA or something, disclosing your actual employer (as opposed to the substance of your work or with whom you contract) doesn't seem likely to violate an NDA. If you work for the CIA I imagine they can get you into GE through other avenues.
Some employers tell their employees to avoid such trusted traveler programs to avoid disclosure. This will surely become an issue as TSA spreads their interrogation tentacles nationwide. And some security clearance levels require prior permission before doing any kind of international travel, along with a post-trip debrief.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 6:01 pm

If you work for the CIA I imagine they can get you into GE through other avenues.
Yeah - that's what I would think too.

Otherwise disclosing your places of employment won't generally violate NDAs.

OP you mentioned that your involved in various trade-secrets. GE doesn't need to know about those, so you will be ok. They're simply interested in the company you work for, place of work, and the dates of employment.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Some employers tell their employees to avoid such trusted traveler programs to avoid disclosure. This will surely become an issue as TSA spreads their interrogation tentacles nationwide. And some security clearance levels require prior permission before doing any kind of international travel, along with a post-trip debrief.
I'm not saying they don't, but what does it disclose? Say you work for some company doing business overseas, but they don't want competitors knowing where they're sending people (say an oil company trying to explore new fields, or a tech company with new suppliers). How does enrolling in GE increase the disclosure of their travels, especially in the general sense of the past 5 years? If someone's tracking you, they can do that when you travel anyway. And if they're paying someone in CBP for info, they could get that whether you enter using GE or enter with your passport scanned by CBP.

And if you have a security clearance requiring permission for international travel, enrolling in GE wont change getting permission.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Oh, no, nothing like that. It was more about discussing the exact nature of work I was thinking of. And also income (which I have no desire to discuss for personal privacy reasons): that's between my employer, myself, my accountant and the IRS.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 7:23 pm

Oh, no, nothing like that. It was more about discussing the exact nature of work I was thinking of. And also income (which I have no desire to discuss for personal privacy reasons): that's between my employer, myself, my accountant and the IRS.
They don't ask you to disclose your income.
Though I'm sure if they're really interested, they can find out.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 8:59 am

As others have said, explaining your trip as "business". Should satisfy them. If they probe further, you can always nicely explain that your business is in X industry but your employment agreement doesn't allow you to explain details.

IIRC, they did ask why I had traveled to a certain country, but I was happy to explain it because the work I do is public anyway (or at least my employer is happy to have people know about it). I got the sense they were asking (a) out of curiosity and (b) market testing to see if GE is attractive to tourists or business travelers or both.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
It was more about discussing the exact nature of work I was thinking of. And also income (which I have no desire to discuss for personal privacy reasons): that's between my employer, myself, my accountant and the IRS.
You're way off the mark in terms of both the filling of the form AND any conversation that you might have with a CBP officer concerning GE.

The form will ask for dates of work, name of employer and address. The interview is "generally" going to ask innocuous questions or perhaps show you how to work the kiosks.

Nothing to be concerned about in either case.
Dave
Old Aug 17, 2011, 12:59 pm

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
Once your passport renews, you have to update it in the GOES system. (same goes for your driver's licence btw). The new passport does not come with the sticker, but you can walk into any GE office (no appointment), and they'll give you the sticker.

Regarding the work history, they ask for five years history. Everything in the past five years.

When we had our Nexus/GOES interviews we were told you can update a new passport online with GOES, but that we had to come in (no appointment necessary) to update a renewed driver's license.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.