FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Another pleasant arrival in Canada (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1247689-another-pleasant-arrival-canada.html)

Davvidd Aug 23, 2011 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by mre5765 (Post 16941902)
To reiterate, yyzvoyageur is a CBSA officer.

Then he/she knows exactly what I am talking about.

LuvAirFrance Aug 23, 2011 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by König (Post 16980602)
Is there any issue here at all? Should everyone post their pleasant arrivals to anywhere? We all know that Canadian and US border guards are not pleasant to deal with, nobody is arguing about that. What I find curious is that a person most opposed to the border controls finds more problems crossing the borders than an average traveller. If such a person is not trying to pick up a fight, then I really cannot explain this statistical phenomenon. Now, about attacking the poster and not the issue. Considering that one of the OPs stories (out of many) turned out to be just a fantasy, I would not blame anyone who puts the OPs credibility under question.

There is such a relentless onslaught of bad news, I can see the temptation to mention a ray of sunshine, even if terribly rare.

polonius Sep 19, 2011 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by König (Post 16980602)
Is there any issue here at all? Should everyone post their pleasant arrivals to anywhere? We all know that Canadian and US border guards are not pleasant to deal with, nobody is arguing about that. What I find curious is that a person most opposed to the border controls finds more problems crossing the borders than an average traveller. If such a person is not trying to pick up a fight, then I really cannot explain this statistical phenomenon. Now, about attacking the poster and not the issue. Considering that one of the OPs stories (out of many) turned out to be just a fantasy, I would not blame anyone who puts the OPs credibility under question.

But of course, you don't care to mention exactly which "story" of mine has "turned out" to be a fantasy, because that would put you in the position of actually having to defend your random allegation.

You also seem to have difficulty with differentiating between showing some backbone in response to attempts at intimidation and abuse of authority and "picking a fight". Sorry we cannot all accommodate you like good sheep would.

ls17031 Sep 19, 2011 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by polonius (Post 17135769)
But of course, you don't care to mention exactly which "story" of mine has "turned out" to be a fantasy, because that would put you in the position of actually having to defend your random allegation.

Umm.... this one?

Originally Posted by polonius (Post 16921413)
Flew into YUL yesterday for the first time in 5 years -- I used to come here frequently, and also was harassed frequently there by Canadian immigration. This time was refreshingly different -- no threats, no aggressive questioning, no search. However, after clearing immigration and going downstairs to baggage claim, I notice that the agent has stamped my declaration but not my passport. This happened to me once before, and on my way out of the country, I had the agent look at stamp from my previous visit which was several months old, and start screaming at me that I had overstayed and was going to be arrested. So I went and found an agent and asked that my passport also be stamped. He said, "oh, American passport, you don't need to be stamped".
I said, "OK, it doesn't matter how long I stay? If I stay for 10 years it won't be a problem?"
He says "you get six months"
"And without a stamp, how do you know it's been six months?"

His reply: "that's why they invented computers"

I am simply stunned, but ask "do you honestly believe that the guys who invented computers were thinking 'let's build a machine that it make it easier for governments to monitor citizens'? Or do you think maybe those guys are horrified at some of the things computers are being used for?"

He didn't have a response, but gave me my entry stamp.

Every encounter leaves me thinking, "where do they find these people?"

König Sep 20, 2011 10:03 am

Originally Posted by polonius (Post 17135769)
But of course, you don't care to mention exactly which "story" of mine has "turned out" to be a fantasy

This one. CBSA does not routinely inspect outbound passengers, and it is very hard to actually confuse a cop at a rail station with the immigration official at an airport. ls17031 already provided a quote.

You also seem to have difficulty with differentiating between showing some backbone in response to attempts at intimidation and abuse of authority and "picking a fight". Sorry we cannot all accommodate you like good sheep would.
We? You seem to give yourself a lot of credit, my friend. You have openly admitted that you violated immigration laws of many of your host countries. Then, you come here and complain about the abuse of authority? It is a virtual world, and as far as I am concerned, you are just a virtual character who put his credibility under question by discrediting himself on at least one account. There are some real people who show backbone such as Phil Mocek (pmocek), but you are not one of them. You only talk.

squeakr Sep 20, 2011 10:17 am

this thread has gone from...

well, not bad to worse, but from minimally informative to attack mode. Closing now.

thanks

squeakr

co-mod
TS/S Practical Issues