FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   TSA questions passenger who has fake head in his bag (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1247001-tsa-questions-passenger-who-has-fake-head-his-bag.html)

flavorflav Aug 11, 2011 8:21 pm

TSA questions passenger who has fake head in his bag

Well, not exactly a fake head. But a fake face like those his company makes to affix on gravestones. (Which I don't think I would go for, but to each his own.)

The guy was flying through PHF in Newport News, Va., when he was stopped and questioned during TSA screening. The Orlando Sentinel has a detailed story, including a picture of the fake face.

Orlando Sentinel story

cordelli Aug 11, 2011 8:33 pm

Freaky technology. They put the dead person (or animal) into a laser scanner, collect a thousand dollars from the family, and some factory someplace and get the resin head back.

Not something I would want on my gravestone, and think they would have a way more profitable business if they did other body parts for less money, but that's another story.

GoingAway Aug 11, 2011 8:37 pm

Freaky sure, but nothing to do with security. It never should have required that level of attention. Once again, the fools are easily distracted from what their job is supposed to be.

Pesky Monkey Aug 11, 2011 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by cordelli (Post 16906734)
Freaky technology. They put the dead person (or animal) into a laser scanner, collect a thousand dollars from the family, and some factory someplace and get the resin head back.

Not something I would want on my gravestone, and think they would have a way more profitable business if they did other body parts for less money, but that's another story.

In the old days, they called it a death mask.

goalie Aug 11, 2011 9:25 pm

......After consulting among themselves, they decided the head was not a prohibited item, and Shulman continued on his way.

"I offered to take a picture of them with it," he said.
Bolding mine: Imho, this is the best part of the article :D (tho wouldn't it have been a hoot if the mask/face was that of the now most sincerely dead OBL......;))

VH-RMD Aug 11, 2011 9:47 pm

incompetent idiots...

BearX220 Aug 11, 2011 10:00 pm

Who isn't trying to get ahead these days?

N830MH Aug 11, 2011 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by VH-RMD (Post 16907161)
incompetent idiots...

Yeah, I don't seen enough more evidence being found. Is that fake dummy face? I wasn't sure what happening to him? Luckily that he didn't get arrested for that. He wasn't threats at all. They were letting him go. He won't get charge for that. I don't see any prohibited items.

Fredd Aug 11, 2011 10:05 pm

Sounds like a good point.

diamond404 Aug 11, 2011 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by GoingAway (Post 16906754)
Freaky sure, but nothing to do with security. It never should have required that level of attention. Once again, the fools are easily distracted from what their job is supposed to be.

^

RadioGirl Aug 12, 2011 1:20 am

No doubt the face didn't demonstrate the right degree of subservience to the almighty TSA, didn't pronounce its name when asked, and opted out of the body scanner on the flimsy excuse :rolleyes: that it doesn't have a body.

It's pretty obvious that all that is going to get some retaliation. Otherwise every disembodied face is going to start disrespecting the TSA. ;)

ql2112 Aug 12, 2011 1:40 am

...and think they would have a way more profitable business if they did other body parts for less money, but that's another story.

You think his bag would have been searched had it had one of those "other body parts" in it ;)

I liked the beginning of the article:

"There was a face-off last week between a Central Florida entrepreneur and federal security officials at the airport in Newport News, Va.
In the end, the face won."

:p

Ari Aug 12, 2011 6:15 am

Originally Posted by RadioGirl (Post 16908018)
No doubt the face didn't demonstrate the right degree of subservience to the almighty TSA, didn't pronounce its name when asked, and opted out of the body scanner on the flimsy excuse :rolleyes: that it doesn't have a body.

It is also possible that the face exhibited a microexpression.

Global_Hi_Flyer Aug 12, 2011 6:22 am

Exactly. Most likely they were on a fishing expedition for something "illegal" as opposed to something that impacts flight security.

Caradoc Aug 12, 2011 8:39 am

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer (Post 16908910)
Exactly. Most likely they were on a fishing expedition for something "illegal" as opposed to something that impacts flight security.

...as usual.