FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Is the transfer check as bad at ORD as it is at DFW? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1246361-transfer-check-bad-ord-dfw.html)

IanFromHKG Aug 10, 2011 1:57 am

Is the transfer check as bad at ORD as it is at DFW?

Earlier this year I connected from LHR on a BA flight through DFW onto an AA flight. Despite being in J, arriving in DFW ahead of schedule, and allowing 2h25m for the scheduled transfer, I barely made it due to the ridiculous customs/security/baggage-recheck process at DFW whereby incoming international passengers have to collect their (through-tagged) bags, go through screening and then drop them off again. The queues were so bad they went all the way back into the baggage hall and wrapped around one of the baggage carousels. I have spoken to another person for whom the same thing (he arrived on the same flight on a different day) took 2h45m.

Unsurprisingly, I am transferring through a different airport (ORD) on my next trip. Am I going to have the same nightmare there?

The other really annoying thing is that I am entitled to expedited clearance through U.S. immigration but couldn't use it because they didnt have a "lane" system at DFW - just one insane queue.

Ari Aug 10, 2011 2:03 am

ORD is generally one of the better international arrival airports.

stifle Aug 10, 2011 2:09 am

As you probably know, you will still have to collect your bags, clear customs, drop them again, and reclear security at ORD. This is because it is US policy that all baggage must be cleared at the first point of entry. It's one of the less objectionable policies as not all airports have actually got immigration and customs processing people.

As to whether it will be more time-consuming, I don't know. I was through ORD on a connection to IND once, but that was six years ago, so it's not a useful data point.

cheltzel Aug 10, 2011 5:11 am

Welcome to FT IanFromHKG!

You should look at this thread in the Midwest - Chicago forum ...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chica...rd-thread.html

I go through immigration and customs 4 to 5 times a year at ORD. The lines at passport control can be long sometimes. But, most people get through before their bags arrive on the carousel. The bags are the slow point at ORD.

Once you leave customs and go through the exit doors, you will find airline check-in counters for connecting international passengers. Since I live in the Chicago metro area, I have never used them. But they have never seen too congested.

I would ask the moderators to move this to the Chicago forum and you will get better answers there.

upup&away Aug 10, 2011 5:46 am

[QUOTE
The other really annoying thing is that I am entitled to expedited clearance through U.S. immigration but couldn't use it because they didnt have a "lane" system at DFW - just one insane queue.[/QUOTE]

Are you refering to Global Entry as your form of expedited clearance?

If so, there are several - at least 6 - GE kiosks in the international arrivals
area at ORD.

In general, I agree with previous posters regarding the relative ease of
entering the US at ORD, compared to several other major entry points,
such as MIA, LAX, JFK, IAD, etc.

IanFromHKG Aug 11, 2011 4:06 am

Originally Posted by upup&away (Post 16894036)
[QUOTE
The other really annoying thing is that I am entitled to expedited clearance through U.S. immigration but couldn't use it because they didnt have a "lane" system at DFW - just one insane queue.

Are you refering to Global Entry as your form of expedited clearance?
QUOTE]

No, I have an APEC Business Travel Card which allows me to use the crew lane - but at DFW this didn't seem to work because I was queueing for the baggage re-check and there was no separate line there

Thanks to everyone for their input - unfortunately, it looks as though I will have to go through DFW after all (sigh)

Ian

Ari Aug 11, 2011 10:07 am

Originally Posted by IanFromHKG (Post 16901164)
No, I have an APEC Business Travel Card which allows me to use the crew lane - but at DFW this didn't seem to work because I was queueing for the baggage re-check and there was no separate line there

Thanks to everyone for their input - unfortunately, it looks as though I will have to go through DFW after all (sigh)

Look for the CREW exit lane from the baggage area-- there should be one.

colonius Aug 11, 2011 11:08 am

Originally Posted by stifle (Post 16893495)
As you probably know, you will still have to collect your bags, clear customs, drop them again, and reclear security at ORD. This is because it is US policy that all baggage must be cleared at the first point of entry. It's one of the less objectionable policies as not all airports have actually got immigration and customs processing people.

What is objectionable, though, is the policy of having to clear checked baggage through customs that is on an international itinerary back out of the USA. For example, Europe to Canada on any US carrier.

stifle Aug 11, 2011 11:51 am

Originally Posted by colonius (Post 16903070)
What is objectionable, though, is the policy of having to clear checked baggage through customs that is on an international itinerary back out of the USA. For example, Europe to Canada on any US carrier.

Agreed. I'll excuse the lack of direct airside transits because that's how the airports are constructed, but they really shouldn't care what you're (not) bringing into the USA.

Ari Aug 11, 2011 11:56 am

Originally Posted by colonius (Post 16903070)

Canada has a pretty good setup where you go through an immigration check because you can exit to the street from the departure terminal, but your luggage is transferred for you so you don't need go through a customs hall because you don't have access to it. We just don't have that type of physical setup here . . . except for the one in Miami that disappeared a long time ago.

SFOSpiff Aug 11, 2011 11:59 am

Originally Posted by stifle (Post 16903404)
Agreed. I'll excuse the lack of direct airside transits because that's how the airports are constructed, but they really shouldn't care what you're (not) bringing into the USA.

Sure they should - that way they can charge you duty on "entry" to the country. I'm not excusing it (if that's why, it's sleazy), just explaining it.