FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   IR cameras at BOS Logan? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1246048-ir-cameras-bos-logan.html)

gsforfree Aug 9, 2011 7:19 am

Wirelessly posted (Verizon BlackBerry 9630: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9650; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.524 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Just exited terminal A and tooK the left most escalators closest to the taxis and there were two TSOs by a desk with two cameras (IR? Heat?) Pointing towards the escalators from the Ticketing level.

Anyone know what they are there for?

SDF_Traveler Aug 9, 2011 7:27 am

Originally Posted by gsforfree (Post 16887143)
Wirelessly posted (Verizon BlackBerry 9630: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9650; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.524 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Just exited terminal A and tooK the left most escalators closest to the taxis and there were two TSOs by a desk with two cameras (IR? Heat?) Pointing towards the escalators from the Ticketing level.

Passive MMW, I would suspect. Looking for "dense" objects beneath ones clothing.

:td: :td:

sbagdon Aug 9, 2011 7:46 am

Take photos, just stay away from the display screen. That'll get some attention. :)

FliesWay2Much Aug 9, 2011 8:55 am

That must be the "bad guy" camera they like to use in landside areas -- just more mission creep. I don't suppose they had the required "You are under surveillance" signs around, did they? It's always fun to flip them off when you know the camera is pointed at you.

gsforfree Aug 9, 2011 9:28 am

Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler

Passive MMW, I would suspect. Looking for "dense" objects beneath ones clothing.

:td: :td:

Is it a "first line" protection before passengers arrive at the densely packed screening area?

I didn't see any indication of "you are under surveillence."

I'll be sure to chat them up tonigh when I return.

clrankin Aug 9, 2011 9:35 am

Can this result in a lawsuit from a passenger with nothing better to do? Seems like a clear Fourth Amendment violation to me, since it's outside the checkpoint and sterile areas.

gsforfree Aug 9, 2011 9:49 am

Originally Posted by clrankin (Post 16888057)
Can this result in a lawsuit from a passenger with nothing better to do? Seems like a clear Fourth Amendment violation to me, since it's outside the checkpoint and sterile areas.

Actually depends. If the photos are not "under clothes" no lawsuit is applicable as you do not have a "reasonable right to privacy" in an airport public space, which the non-sterile area is considered. Likewise, in a store, security cameras are not a 4th amendment infringement.

If, however, it is passive MMW and is looking under clothes, there may be a case since people in airports are not always traveling on planes. (Disclaimer: IANAL)

mikeef Aug 9, 2011 11:35 am

You should run up to them and start screaming in their faces, "THERE'S NO TAKING PHOTOS AT THE AIRPORT! ERASE EVERYTHING!"

Mike

gsforfree Aug 9, 2011 5:11 pm

Didn't get a chance to check out the equipment as I was in a rush due to major SNAFUs btwn BOS and NYC today. Anyone else want to find out?