Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Travel Tip: Don't Tape Your Cell Phone to a Container of Paste-Like Substance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel Tip: Don't Tape Your Cell Phone to a Container of Paste-Like Substance

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2011, 5:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PTravel
As much as I think TSA is the most useless agency conceived by man, I have to say that, this time, they have, apparently done their job (shocking as it may seem). The woman may, indeed, be an idiot (along with, apparently, two accomplices). Perhaps there's something more, here. At least, for once, TSA detected a credible simulation of a bomb (and without groping or nude photography).
However, even Kip admitted a few years ago, that the only terrorists the TSA was going to catch at the checkpoint were the dumb ones.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 7:26 am

Programs: DL MM Gold
Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
The article concludes with this sentence: "Daman is facing a charge of knowingly giving a false impression."...
The entire on-line dating industry is in deep doo-doo, then.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 8:04 am

Programs: CO Platinum
Guess what: the TSA did their job. The lesson here is that they actually accomplished something useful and it did not involve grabing anyone's "junk" or seeing anyone naked.

If only TSA would take this "victory" to heart and continue with what works and drop all the other unnecessary and appalling crap.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 8:37 am

The TSA did their job on this one and like others have said, they did it without groping or the NoS. They caught the soldier earlier with the C4 using the ETD testing. It seems like they catch more people with the xray machines, the WTMD, and the ETD swabbing than the NoS or the patdowns.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 9:41 am

Programs: *wood Gold
Originally Posted by RunsWithScissors
Are you seriously saying that what she did was not stupid nor should go unpunished?

Can you say honestly with a straight face that someone from another country with no fixed U.S. address and a stated desire to test airport security is someone that should be given a pat on the back and let go?
I'd acquit her of any charges.

Her only mistake would be openly admitting that she was trying to test the system. Let TSA levy an administrative fine through their kangaroo court, and let her be on her way.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 9:42 am

Programs: UA Gold MM
Originally Posted by spd476
The TSA did their job on this one and like others have said, they did it without groping or the NoS. They caught the soldier earlier with the C4 using the ETD testing. It seems like they catch more people with the xray machines, the WTMD, and the ETD swabbing than the NoS or the patdowns.
Also, this type of item probably stood an equal, if not higher, probability of being caught under pre-9/11 security procedures than it does today.

So yes - TSA was successful in this instance - however they still have not proven that they are more successful than what was previously in place. TSA apologists tend to forget that the point is not "is screening effective" - the point is "is screening more effective to a degree that justifies the increased costs".

Originally Posted by clrankin
I'd acquit her of any charges.

Her only mistake would be openly admitting that she was trying to test the system. Let TSA levy an administrative fine through their kangaroo court, and let her be on her way.
I unfortunately have to disagree with this. I believe that the risk, as stated many times by others on this forum, is that smart terrorists will learn how to bypass the system. Learning how to bypass the system involves testing, probing, and fully understanding what you can and can't get away with. While it appears fairly obvious that this one idiot is not involved in an organized attempt to determine how to beat the system, letting it be known that you can "test the system" without penalty is just asking for trouble.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
The thing that bothers me about this is that the contents of my carry on could conceivably be described as "a credible simulation of a bomb" if one wanted to ascribe to their own definition of "credible simulation."

9V batteries, multiples thereof. Check.

Little electronic boxes that look like they could be detonators, each powered by 2 9V batteries. Check.

Mysterious electronics with scary sounding names like Data Physics, Mechanalysis, PCB and Connection Technologies. Check.

A Monarch strobe light. (Has a pistol grip and a trigger) Check.

Lots of wire and cables. Check.

Lot's of Velcro holding things together. Check.

Small tools and gages. Check.

A single cake of nice smelling soap to knock the edge off the industrial smell. Oops. May look like explosive. Better trash the soap.
If properly packed, you shouldn't have a problem.

What we had in this instance is something seen quite regularly, cell phones, watches wires and a solid mass (paste, gel, whatever) duct taped together - often using enough tape to damage the items.

A common explanation is "I'm taking those things to a relative in xyz country.

I'm sure the relative will appreciate getting a US only cellphone with half of the finish removed when the duct tape is pulled off.

Me, I usually leave the items packaged and don't ever think of duct taping stuff together.

If you duct tape all the stuff you've identified together then you'll have a problem.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by RichardKenner
Hasn't this happened at least once before?
Similar incidents have happened multiple times at multiple airports. I have no idea why people do this.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
That woman is a moron.
Sums it up nicely, doesn't it?

"We're coming up to the 10 year anniversary of 9-11, and we are well aware of these dates and our security measures are certainly heightened," said Martos.
Can't wait to see what's in store.

Mike
Old Aug 9, 2011, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
The article concludes with this sentence: "Daman is facing a charge of knowingly giving a false impression."

When did it become TSA's job to catch people who give a false impression?

(In other TS/S threads, TSOs have stated that TSA's only job is to keep prohibited items off of planes.)
It is TSAs only job. However, TSA is not the one who charges people with crimes. DA's would do that.

However, consider that this caused people to miss their connecting flights, delayed planes - it cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. She should be held accountable.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SATTSO
She should be held accountable.
Maybe the TSA can offer to re-train her?
Old Aug 9, 2011, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by SATTSO
...She should be held accountable.
Only if the TSA will hold its personnel accountable for assaulting, lying to, and denying of rights to FT'er member marklyon.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 12:58 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Police: Woman Tries to Bring Fake Bomb on Plane - Claims she was testing airport security
If it had happened at EWR, she probably would have gotten away with it
Old Aug 9, 2011, 1:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by goalie
If it had happened at EWR, she probably would have gotten away with it
Only because at EWR they would have stolen the cellphone and eaten the paste.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Caradoc
Only because at EWR they would have stolen the cellphone and eaten the paste.
Or, more likely, stolen the paste and eaten the cellphone. They're not too bright at EWR, and easily confused.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.