Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Requesting a private screening for the say your name carnival

Old Jul 30, 11, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Can you request a private screening for when you have to say your name to the ID checker since "out of an abundance of caution" you don't want to say your name in public?

I asked the TSA hotline and they said yes.

Anyone want to try it?
Old Jul 30, 11, 8:39 pm
Suspended

I'm sure the folks in line behind you will applaud you for your "brilliance."
Old Jul 30, 11, 8:46 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why do people need to come up with new ideas to antagonize? There are plenty of ways to try to change the TSA without these stupid stunts.
Old Jul 30, 11, 8:51 pm

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Originally Posted by Bart View Post
I'm sure the folks in line behind you will applaud you for your "brilliance."
hey, it's your stupid agency's stupid idea cupcake - if there is a permissible solution to reduce the impact, why is it the passengers fault?

http://www.wouldyoubelieve.com/cone.html
Old Jul 30, 11, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by Ari View Post
Why do people need to come up with new ideas to antagonize? There are plenty of ways to try to change the TSA without these stupid stunts.
And how many have worked? I think we need an outlet. I've decided I'm just gonna blurt out my name, rank, and serial number before they ask.
Old Jul 30, 11, 9:46 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Why do people need to come up with new ideas to antagonize?
One TDC failed to do his job, let a guy using an expired boarding pass and a non-matching ID onto a plane. TSA gets embarrassed, but claims there was no risk anyways, since the guy was thoroughly screened by security.

The solution to the non-existent problem? Make people announce their names when they're going out of town. That's like clipping your toenails because your arm itches. Completely and totally illogical.

Further, it is actually an invasion of privacy and DANGEROUS. I have a rare enough name that people could identify me, find my home address and break into it while they know I will be out of town. Anything I can do to thwart and frustrate this ridiculous policy is good.

There are plenty of ways to try to change the TSA without these stupid stunts.
Can you name one? Because as far as I know, TSA refuses to do what Congress tells them to do. They refuse to do what the federal courts tell them to do. They sure as heck don't do what the Constitution tell them to do. I assume they would do what the president tells them to do, but there is no way to change that until November 2012.

So if you could name one of these "plenty of ways", the people on this board, who are frustrated and fed up, would be ecstatic to hear about it.
Old Jul 30, 11, 10:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PHLflying View Post
Can you request a private screening for when you have to say your name to the ID checker since "out of an abundance of caution" you don't want to say your name in public?
The bigger question is why the TSA, in their infinite stupidity, requires anyone to say their name at all.

The TSA clerks who post here have repeatedly claimed that their mission is to prevent "prohibited items" from boarding the aircraft, not "prohibited people."

So why do they ask anyone's name at all?
Old Jul 30, 11, 10:38 pm

I'm adding the name carnival to my long, long list of ways that TSA makes me less safe.

"A frequent trick used by sexual predators or muggers is to read the name on a woman's (or man's) luggage and then at an opportune time, lure their victim close by simply calling out their name and feigning recognition."
http://www.witi.com/careers/2004/travelsafety.php
Old Jul 31, 11, 6:13 am

Programs: AC SE100K
I wish hotels would get the message too - Most of them have learned to not tell you your room number out loud (if they do and I'm travelling alone, I ask them to change my room). I understand that people like to be addressed by name, but I could do without it. Given all the customer service types who purposely call you by name, I'm assuming someone has done studies on it .. but I have no reference to back up that rumour.

For me, saying my name out loud in a place like an airport or a hotel is adding risk (albeit small) where none is required.
Old Jul 31, 11, 6:30 am

Programs: *wood Gold
Bart,

Please explain to us how requiring that passengers announce their name in public adds an additional "layer of security" to the flying experience. I - along with many others on this board - must just be too stupid and ignorant to understand the magic and mystery of TSA's ways.

Congress could put a stop to so much silliness on TSA's part very easily. Create an oversight committee and require the agency to explain in detail any procedures it proposes to add or modify. Along with explanation in these public, televised hearings, TSA should also be required to present detailed study results showing the following:
1. How the procedure has been enacted elsewhere (in at least one other security-related organization) and shown to have positive results
2. How much time the procedure will add to the passenger's transit "experience"
3. How many more TSOs will be required to implement the proposed change at checkpoints

TSA should also be required to present proof of public notice of the change, along with written and emailed comments about it. TSA should also be required to conduct public meetings in at least 10 major cities to solicit feedback for their change as well prior to the meeting.

If the public can't kill the beast in other ways, perhaps it should start relying upon the strength of bureaucracy to crush it to death.
Old Jul 31, 11, 6:42 am

Why do people need to come up with new ideas to antagonize?
It's our many "layers" of antagonurity. We have to keep the Chesters (of Chester the Molester fame) guessing. If we antagonize the same way every time, the Chesters might be smart enough to figure out a way around it. No, wait a minute, boys, back to the same old, same old. What ever was I thinking?
Old Jul 31, 11, 6:47 am

Programs: *wood Gold
Originally Posted by 4nsicdoc View Post
We have to keep the Chesters (of Chester the Molester fame) guessing.
So it's good security practice to keep the screeners guessing about security procedure when they're at the airport?
Old Jul 31, 11, 9:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by clrankin View Post
Bart,

Please explain to us how requiring that passengers announce their name in public adds an additional "layer of security" to the flying experience. I - along with many others on this board - must just be too stupid and ignorant to understand the magic and mystery of TSA's ways.
You are wasting your time asking Bart or any other TSA clerk to explain the rationale behind their pointless games. They will just cry "SSI" and move on.

Right after the underwear bomber did his deed, senior people from DHS went around the world on an emergency trip to examine airports where NoS-type screening was performed. What they found in reality is that at best, the technology in place at that time had at best a 60% chance of detecting a similar bomb. That didn't deter the mental giants at DHS and TSA, who foisted upon us the NoS and its partner technology the genital grope, not because it was effective, but because they had to "DO SOMETHING!!!" after the Reid incident.

The "say your name" goofiness is undoubtedly spawned from the mental giants at TSA.

As I've stated in other threads, I've now visited nine major international airports over the past several months. At those airports, there is no "say your name" foolishness, no clerk with the magic eyepiece looking for fake ID, no shoe carnival, no barking clerks, no NoS, and no genital groping - yet amazingly, terrorists haven't taken advantage of those gaping holes in others' security.
Old Jul 31, 11, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by halls120 View Post
As I've stated in other threads, I've now visited nine major international airports over the past several months. At those airports, there is no "say your name" foolishness, no clerk with the magic eyepiece looking for fake ID, no shoe carnival, no barking clerks, no NoS, and no genital groping - yet amazingly, terrorists haven't taken advantage of those gaping holes in others' security.
My experiences with major international airports consistently reflect yours. In addition to what you mention, the overall experience is always much quieter. I personally haven't encountered barking at a foreign airport yet. Not to say it doesn't happen, but I have yet to see it anywhere but here.

halls120, in your experience, what were the security lines themselves like?

IME, I have never encountered security lines as long or as slow as here in the US. I have never seen a 'holding pen' where folks stand and wait for a groper. Post-WTMD frisks are virtually immediate.

I have certainly encountered horrendous customs/immigration lines overseas, but never the insanely long queues I encounter in the US.
Old Jul 31, 11, 9:52 am

Programs: Delta, United
The above reminds of two other "do something scenarios"

Going to the hospital. Doc sees patient for something minor, the patient does not need anything but some time the get over their ailment. But patient feels they need something so the doc gives them something.

Getting your hair cut. If there ain't much hair on the floor many do not feel they got their monies worth - so a bit more gets cut even though it is not needed.

TSA operates in the same mode. Even if what they do, does nothing, they have to do something because something is better than nothing. Especially if something else happens because they can at least say we tried something even though it had no bearing on the outcome. They are very much a reactive agency.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: