Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA-Approved Luggage Locks

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
TSA-Approved Luggage Locks

Does anyone know the answers to these few questions:

1. Approximately when did the TSA say they had the right to open all checked baggage whether locked or unlocked?

2. Approximately when did the TSA adopt the program of approving luggage locks?

3. Has anyone seen any suitcases of a size that would usually be checked that have built-in TSA-approved locks (not the external padlocks)?

4. Is there a TSA-approved luggage lock of any security value against thieves other than the TSA since the TSA uses bolt cutters with impunity?
Old Nov 11, 2012, 8:58 am

Programs: CO
Well you buy a lock with a case harden shaft and they can not cut it off. They have tried but no luck. They did not come look for me to ask for my key.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 2:55 pm

I think that Jan. 1, 2003 was when TSA started 100% screening of checked luggage and asked that luggage be unlocked. TSA approved locks designed by Travel Sentry became available in Nov. 2003. Samsonite started making luggage with integrated TSA locks in 2004. Here is a PDF showing how insecure TSA approved locks are: http://download.security.org/tsa_lug...cks_report.pdf TSA approved locks are insecure by design.

The best method of securing your luggage is to put it in a hard case with good hinges, and use a strong lock. This is perfectly legal to do in the US... as long as you are transporting a "firearm" in that luggage.

I use a flare gun as my "firearm" when I have checked luggage that I want to secure. As an added bonus, if/when your luggage gets lost you will be AMAZED at the attention you get when you let them know that they now have a lost firearm on their hands. (just don't tell them it is only a flare gun).

I use Pelican cases and Abloy Protec PL 300 series locks when I'm travelling with stuff I want to secure from theft. I have my name and cell phone number engraved directly above the locks so that the TSA can call me if they feel the need to inspect the luggage.

I got the idea from http://deviating.net/firearms/packing/
Old Nov 11, 2012, 7:01 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Not much point in using TSA-approved locks. TSA can open any bag they want, regardless of the kind of lock you use. The only point to using a TSA-approved lock would be if
1) you thought someone OTHER than the TSA was going to steal your stuff
AND
2) you thought the TSA was competent enough to use the right key(s) and re-lock your bag for you.

In practice, your belongings are most vulnerable to theft from TSA agents themselves, and half the time they just cut open the locks or don't bother relocking/returning them.

Instead of spending money on a lock that's likely to be cut or lost by the TSA anyway, just buy a bag of inconspicuous zip-ties. They provide the same security (ie: just enough to make a lazy thief pick another bag) and can be used as a disposable "this bag has been opened" indicator. When you pick up your bag at the baggage claim, just look for the zip-tie. if it's missing, you know to check the contents of the bag immediately.

Regardless of the type of lock you use, never transport anything of value in a checked bag. (Although the tip about the flare gun and locked hard-sided case is a good one for when you must.)
Old Nov 11, 2012, 8:33 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by Landing Gear
Does anyone know the answers to these few questions:

1. Approximately when did the TSA say they had the right to open all checked baggage whether locked or unlocked?

2. Approximately when did the TSA adopt the program of approving luggage locks?

3. Has anyone seen any suitcases of a size that would usually be checked that have built-in TSA-approved locks (not the external padlocks)?

4. Is there a TSA-approved luggage lock of any security value against thieves other than the TSA since the TSA uses bolt cutters with impunity?
1) The day they were formed
2) November 2003, at Brookstone was the first time locks went on sale, the program was adopted shortly before that
3) Yes, many companies make luggage in all sizes with tsa locks on them
4) Nope, there are only a different TSA lock mechanisms. If you search on youtube, you will find videos on how to bypass all of them. One takes less than a minute to make the Pick and open the lock. Very eye opening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.