Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Has Anyone Used the New Global Entry RFID Card as ID for TSA ID Check?

Has Anyone Used the New Global Entry RFID Card as ID for TSA ID Check?

Old Nov 3, 2011, 5:44 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by AdamS
I found the list of acceptable id's on tsa.gov. The trusted traveler card is listed, in fact earlier in the list that driver licenses. I will print it out to show if denied again.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...documents.shtm
Note that it doesn't literally say "Global Entry" in the parens. You may need to point out the Sentri logo on the back of the card. And there's nothing on the card to say "DHS Trusted Traveler".
Old Nov 8, 2011, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
SAT on Sunday, 6 November GE Card created no problems whatsoever. The lines were incredibly long - perhaps owing to some people's confusion w/r/t the Time Change.

However, the TDC just looked and motioned me forward.

Dave
Old Nov 8, 2011, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
PHX had never seen it before, but checked the book, verified that it had the required information and sent me on through.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 4:30 pm

ATL Woes

I have tried twice to use my global entry card in ATL South terminal and each time I am told it is not a valid id by the same unhappy and rude supervisor who demands I provide a state issued id. I have emailed TSA and I get a response back that these are the ID's that they accept--Global Entry being one of them but ATL TSA still refuses to accept the ID. I have complained to TSA, Homeland Security who says contact TSA, and Border Patrol who says contact TSA...who else can I complain too?
Old Nov 9, 2011, 8:40 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by see_u_in_air
I have tried twice to use my global entry card in ATL South terminal and each time I am told it is not a valid id by the same unhappy and rude supervisor who demands I provide a state issued id. I have emailed TSA and I get a response back that these are the ID's that they accept--Global Entry being one of them but ATL TSA still refuses to accept the ID. I have complained to TSA, Homeland Security who says contact TSA, and Border Patrol who says contact TSA...who else can I complain too?
Your elected representatives. Include the correspondence from the agencies.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 1:22 am

Programs: CX GO, TSA Pre✓ Afflictions: TSASS
I finally made it through LAS international (terminal 2) security with just a GE card. The TDC chuckled at it so I asked him if he knew what it was. He said he'd seen 3 of them so far and he knew what they were.

So heck, things seem to be getting better in that department.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 9:51 am

Programs: AA EXP 3.3MM; GE & IRIS
GE Card wasn't accepted at the Premuim Line at LGA this morning. I was asked for another piece of ID.

Subsequently I asked a TSA Supervisor and his explanation was that they rarely see the card and aren't familiar with it. He did mention it should have been accepted but offered nothing as far as reminding his staff or the need for training.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 2:25 pm

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
Not accepted at DEN last week - asked for a driver's license. I gave him my passport.

Accepted several times in FLL & MIA.

I guess training is in order. GE cards are more secure than state drivers licenses.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 3:38 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Last week, TSA @ IAD asked if my Nexus card was "one of those new Global Entry things." I explained that no, they look similar, but this was the same Nexus card that had been around for a while now...
Old Nov 22, 2011, 12:39 pm

Nov 8, LAX T4, the screener told me she believes they no longer accept these cards. I questioned that, as they are brand new (well relatively new). Her supervisor came over and he seemed unsure as to whether or not they were acceptable. I told him they were a government issued ID and they should be perfectly acceptable. He told me that the training changes all the time and he doesn't know if they can still be used. I finally showed him my passport in frustration.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.3MM; GE & IRIS
GE Card accepted at ATL South security (Premium Lane) with no questions!
Old Dec 4, 2011, 11:27 pm

A miss on 12/4 at BOS turned out favorable and credit to a 3 striper where it is due. When I presented the TDC with my GE card, she gave me a puzzled look. Thinking she caught a fake ID, the TDC asked I stand aside while a supervisor was called. Not given the opportunity to present alternate ID I am guessing she caught a "big fish" trying to circumvent security.

5 minutes later, a 3 striper picks up my GE card and asks, "Global Entry? Who issued this?" Thinking the guy was being a jerk, I was about to tell him it is a card issues by his organization's parent. Before I could get a word out he tells me, "I'm just kidding with you." He then turns to the TDC and tells her the GE card is valid because it falls under the Trusted Traveler category of acceptable ID. He then tells her if she opened up the ID book, the answer is right there. My GE card and BP are returned with, "Have a nice trip. Apologies for the inconvenience."
Old Dec 6, 2011, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Originally Posted by WChou
He then turns to the TDC and tells her the GE card is valid because it falls under the Trusted Traveler category of acceptable ID.
Wow, nice. I think the message is finally starting to get through. Looking forward to going through the gauntlet again this week at EWR and STL.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
Could someone please clarify? I'm going for my Global Entry (GE) appointment soon. When I'm approved will I be given just a GE card on the spot or will I also get a Trusted Traveler Card? Any help is appreciated. Thanks for your time.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by elkhornne
Could someone please clarify? I'm going for my Global Entry (GE) appointment soon. When I'm approved will I be given just a GE card on the spot or will I also get a Trusted Traveler Card? Any help is appreciated. Thanks for your time.
GE Card is the trusted traveler card and will likely follow via mail

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.