Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Has Anyone Used the New Global Entry RFID Card as ID for TSA ID Check?

Has Anyone Used the New Global Entry RFID Card as ID for TSA ID Check?

Old Sep 21, 2011, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Majuki
This is because it just uses the picture that was taken when you went for your interview, which most people weren't prepared for. In mine I'm wearing a jacked and not even looking at the camera directly. It's definitely not up to passport photo standards.
Originally Posted by RevJim
I showed it to the TDC and her response was: "We don't accept this, it doesn't even say who issued it." I took the card back and looked all over it and she was right. The front says "Global Entry" and the back has the SENTRI logo, but it doesn't actually say anything about CBP or Homeland Security (!?).
Agreed. For such a 'trusted traveler' card, its one of the less professional looking Identifications I've seen issued by a government agency.

My corporate badge looks more professional. Color, close up, id picture, clearly states property of (i.e. issuer) and # to call for verification/lost card found, etc.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 11:29 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Just checked TSA.gov, and it does now include:

<i>DHS "Trusted Traveler" cards (NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)</i>

As acceptable ID. Since the Global Entry card has the Sentri logo on the back, that _should_ cover it.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...documents.shtm
Old Sep 26, 2011, 12:08 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Just checked TSA.gov, and it does now include:

<i>DHS "Trusted Traveler" cards (NEXUS, SENTRI, FAST)</i>

As acceptable ID. Since the Global Entry card has the Sentri logo on the back, that _should_ cover it.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...documents.shtm
sadly, they don't actually state "Global Entry", and while Global Entry is a trusted traveller card, a dense clerk could deny based on this. Let's hope not.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 8:09 pm

Programs: CX GO, TSA Pre✓ Afflictions: TSASS
Yeah this whole GE card program was pretty poorly thought-through before it was implemented. Poorly planned, poorly tested, and the agents have been poorly trained.

It has all the hallmarks of a program invented by some executive who orders the underlings to carry it out "no matter what".

I'm sure the pictures on our cards were originally taken only for internal use.... We pass through a checkpoint, for some reason a CBP officer wants to look up your trusted traveler account.... up pops a quick webcam photo so they can verify it is you.

Some higher-up boss said "Okay, now let's start mailing these people cards" and that was the only photo they had in their system, so they made it work.

Having said all that, it could be a lot worse. I like having the card and I hope the allegedly-upcoming trusted traveler benefits are successful and permanent. I bet $1 that every member of the Global Entry program gets a much more professional photo taken next time they have to renew their membership.
Old Sep 27, 2011, 4:00 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
SFO United "Elite" security queue in the former North Terminal.

ID Checker had never seen one. Called over the supervisor, who had never seen one.

Asked if I had any other ID. I responded, "Why? DHS issued this to me it's on the list of approved IDs."

Supervisor: "Do you have any other ID?"

Me: "Do I HAVE to show you more than one approved ID?"

Supervisor: "Do you have any other ID?"

Me: "You didn't answer my question. Do I HAVE to show you more than one approved ID?"

Supervisor: "I don't know what this is. I need to see another ID."

I handed him my Thai drivers license.

Supervisor: "I don't know what this is. Do you have another ID?"

I showed him my U.K. drivers license.

Supervisor: "This is not an approved ID. Don't you have a drivers license from the States?"

Me: "I'm not driving here."

Supervisor, who had been fairly good natured about it all said (in a rather pleading voice): "Would you please just show me an approved ID I am familiar with?"

So I showed him my passport.

No retaliation.

After screening, I walked up to him and said, "Is it too much to expect that TSA line personnel will be familiar with the list of approved IDs."

He concurred and said, "We really aren't given much time to conduct training."

Tax dollars at work...
Old Oct 4, 2011, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Supposedly my Congressman has launched an "inquiry" into my complaint and I should be hearing something within the next couple of weeks. I am doubtful it will affect any change, but it's a start.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA Silver, DL Silver (MM), HH LT Diamond, MR LT Platinum
Used it today in MCO before UA flight to ORD. TDC didn't blink an eye or say a word.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 2:50 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by troyb
Supposedly my Congressman has launched an "inquiry" into my complaint and I should be hearing something within the next couple of weeks. I am doubtful it will affect any change, but it's a start.
Why would you complain to your Congressman over a trivial issue like this? I understand the principle of the issue-- that TSOs can't be trained on something simple so how can they be trusted-- but this is just petty and stupid. I hope s/he blows you off.

Usually a complaint to the FSD fixes the problem; I think Congress has more important matters at the moment.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 3:11 pm

Things were going so well at BOS until the last two trips. Both times two TDCs looked at me GE card and rejected it. When brought up to the three striper on duty, they seemed dismayed that the card was not recognized. Both game me a comment card without hesitation.

On the bright side, saw what I believe is how TSOs should behave. He was polite, soft spoken, helped pax get extra bins, and pushed backed up bags into the x-ray. Even used works like, Sir, Ma'am, Please, and Thank You. No barking, no rudeness, and treated pax like customers.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 11:40 pm

Programs: UA Silver, DL Silver (MM), HH LT Diamond, MR LT Platinum
Used at CID today without issue.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by NWstu
Used it today in MCO before UA flight to ORD. TDC didn't blink an eye or say a word.
ORD T1 didn't blink an eye.
ORD T5 said "until lots of people use them here, we won't accept them" even after I pointed out I just used it at T1...
Old Oct 12, 2011, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
ORD T1 didn't blink an eye.
ORD T5 said "until lots of people use them here, we won't accept them" even after I pointed out I just used it at T1...
But if he doesn't accept them, how do you get to lots of people using them? Duh!
Old Oct 12, 2011, 9:22 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
I wonder if they treat x-ray anomalies the same way-- unless they see a lot of one type, they don't call an alarm.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by ediemac1
(There is a photo of one in another thread on GE, if anyone wants to know what it looks like.)
No, there is no photo. I just did a search, and couldn't find it. FTR, unless you post a link, the thing you allege did not occur.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Status Free
Try Using Search......

Thread "Is Global Entry Worthwhile", post 2094.

You're quite welcome

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.