Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Has Anyone Used the New Global Entry RFID Card as ID for TSA ID Check?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has Anyone Used the New Global Entry RFID Card as ID for TSA ID Check?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2011, 7:24 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.975 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by troyb
Just went through Terminal C at EWR using my GE Card as ID. TSA stared at it for a moment and took a good look at the back, but didn't even say a word. Success.
Was not so lucky on my return MCO-EWR flight last week.

Tried to use the GE card, but the front line agent and his immediate supervisor had no idea what it was. They also claimed they had no idea what the 'book' of IDs was to reference. I put up a good fight but when they brought the LEO over and he also had no idea what it was, I caved and showed my DL. I was then retaliated against with a full pat down and baggage screening.

After getting through I asked to speak with the most senior TSA agent on site. Two guys came over, who were also not familiar with the ID and said it was not in the book. They told me that the full screening was SOP, not retaliation.

I was not happy but what else can you do?
Old Sep 5, 2011, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9630/5.0.0.975 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Was not so lucky on my return MCO-EWR flight last week.

Tried to use the GE card, but the front line agent and his immediate supervisor had no idea what it was. They also claimed they had no idea what the 'book' of IDs was to reference. I put up a good fight but when they brought the LEO over and he also had no idea what it was, I caved and showed my DL. I was then retaliated against with a full pat down and baggage screening.

After getting through I asked to speak with the most senior TSA agent on site. Two guys came over, who were also not familiar with the ID and said it was not in the book. They told me that the full screening was SOP, not retaliation.

I was not happy but what else can you do?
Did you point out that the people checking the ids seemed unaware that the book even exists. Very appropriate if they are telling you it's not in the book.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 6:03 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Originally Posted by GoingAway
Did you point out that the people checking the ids seemed unaware that the book even exists. Very appropriate if they are telling you it's not in the book.
Of course. The response - "well, maybe they could have delivered the message better, but we still wouldn't have accepted the ID." real nice.

In other news, I used my GE card at FLL this morning withouta question, then opted out of the radiation machine. I have a feeling the agent hadn't seen it before though, which makes me somewhat concerned that some agents will let anything pass.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 1:46 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I have a feeling the agent hadn't seen it before though, which makes me somewhat concerned that some agents will let anything pass.
Although given ID != security, there's not much to be concerned about.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 12:56 pm

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
So far my new Global Entry card has been used a few times.

MCO had never seen one but after normal inspection was accepted.

PHX had never seen one before, but no problem.

DAB had never seen one, was shown to the most senior person working the check point, and was then asked if I had another ID. Ended up showing them my passport.

LIT had never seen one, was shown to the most senior person working the check point who after a short discussion decided it was OK, said they would look for updated materials to train the staff.

MCO no problem.

SEA had never seen one, gave it a long look, asked another TDC about it who said there had been a sign off memo on it recently telling them it was OK. Decided it was OK but also asked me who I worked for at the end of the conversation. Not sure if that was related to GE card or just a SPOT.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 8:52 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
AFAIK, there has been a memo on it, but its not in their SOP manual yet. NEXUS, on the other hand, is. Its number 7 on the list. Say that to a TDC and their eyes pop out of their head.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by N1120A
AFAIK, there has been a memo on it, but its not in their SOP manual yet. NEXUS, on the other hand, is. Its number 7 on the list. Say that to a TDC and their eyes pop out of their head.
They need to get it in there already. I am happy to fight everytime I fly, but if the I'd really isn't in their book, it is a little hard to stand your ground.

Had trouble at FLL today using my GE card. Eventually caved because the 3 stripe guy was reasonably professional and respectful.

Batting 67% on acceptance over the past 3 weeks.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 10:52 pm

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
I used it again at MCO and at SFO for the first time over the weekend, no issues.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 6:50 pm

Programs: CX GO, TSA Pre✓ Afflictions: TSASS
LAS mixed

I tried my new GE card at LAS last week with mixed success.

I showed it to the TDC and her response was: "We don't accept this, it doesn't even say who issued it." I took the card back and looked all over it and she was right. The front says "Global Entry" and the back has the SENTRI logo, but it doesn't actually say anything about CBP or Homeland Security (!?).

I pushed back a little and she called the supervisor over, and another TDC worker, and none of them had ever seen it before. The supervisor seemed interested but eventually they looked at my ticket, saw that I was traveling internationally, and asked to see my passport (which I showed).

So they didn't really take it, but they didn't really reject it either. The supervisor said they hadn't been trained on them yet.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
Originally Posted by RevJim
I tried my new GE card at LAS last week with mixed success. I showed it to the TDC and her response was: "We don't accept this, it doesn't even say who issued it." .
Amazing... !
Old Sep 13, 2011, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by MrHalliday
Amazing... !
Pretty much the same response I received on Sunday in FLL...

"You WILL show me another ID if you want to fly"

and

"You must show me your Drivers License if you want to travel today"

I've had about enough of this. I am going to complain to my Senator(s) and / or Congressman. Any tips from others who have done this? I am not so naive to think this will cause any direct effect, but it will help me feel like I am at least doing my part.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 5:32 pm

and

I've had about enough of this. I am going to complain to my Senator(s) and / or Congressman. Any tips from others who have done this? I am not so naive to think this will cause any direct effect, but it will help me feel like I am at least doing my part.
You made the mistake of not being brutal with the trained document checker. I record all of my encounters with TSA screeners.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by knotyeagle

and

You made the mistake of not being brutal with the trained document checker. I record all of my encounters with TSA screeners.
Yes, I should, but I feel like that escalates the situation rapidly. I also thought that there was a chance, however slim, that the senior TSA guy would know what it was.

In any case, I contacted by Congressman's office today. Maybe they can help, but probably not.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 12:07 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
No issues using my GE card at SFO earlier today, didn't even have to consult a supervisor. Checker commented on how crappy all the pictures he had seen on them so far were, saying that he's seen a bunch of GE cards recently.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 7:48 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
No issues using my GE card at SFO earlier today, didn't even have to consult a supervisor. Checker commented on how crappy all the pictures he had seen on them so far were, saying that he's seen a bunch of GE cards recently.
This is because it just uses the picture that was taken when you went for your interview, which most people weren't prepared for. In mine I'm wearing a jacked and not even looking at the camera directly. It's definitely not up to passport photo standards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.