Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Has Anyone Used the New Global Entry RFID Card as ID for TSA ID Check?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has Anyone Used the New Global Entry RFID Card as ID for TSA ID Check?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2011, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by jspira
You can log into GOES and request it for $15. It is of course free with new GE applications.
I know I can apply for it in GOES. I was asking where to apply for it within GOES. I've been a GE member since '09, but have no button to request a card.. Is it hidden somewhere?
Old Jul 30, 2011, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I was asking where to apply for it within GOES.
I am sorry that I do not have a direct answer to your question. What I have learned is that if you have any interviews pending (e.g., NEXUS), you cannot order the card online.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 9:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
I just ordered mine. You have to go into the manage membership or whatever option it is on the Global Entry line inside GOES. From there, you have to redo the initial application form (though thankfully it's mostly filled in already). Then pay the $15.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by BobbySteel
I just ordered mine. You have to go into the manage membership or whatever option it is on the Global Entry line inside GOES. From there, you have to redo the initial application form (though thankfully it's mostly filled in already). Then pay the $15.
I've got "manage membership", but no link to order a card.. Perhaps due to the fact that I'm GE and NEXUS? In any case, I'll call GOES support in the morning.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 12:31 pm

Programs: SAA, DL, BA, UA, IHG, SPG
If you already have NEXUS (and the accompanying mandatory card), there's no reason to have, nor will they let you request, a GE card.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 9:18 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aviationwiz
If you already have NEXUS (and the accompanying mandatory card), there's no reason to have . . . a GE card
That's for sure.

Originally Posted by aviationwiz
[And they] will [not] they let you request a GE card.
Interesting. Makes sense.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Status Free
Tried At RDU on Mon, 8/1/2011 With Mixed Success

Hit security in T2 at ~5:45am. Crowding was moderate and all lanes open. I used the First Class Line (to far left). No NoS for the two far left x-ray lanes, so great SDOO opportunity. These Lanes are not always open.

There was a gentleman in a suit checking IDs and BPS for the elite line. He was not at a podium, he was walking down the outside of the line. He appeared to be helping out the TDC.

Presented my GE card (DL in my back pocket). I wasn't going to press the issue, looked at it more as training. RDU probably doesn't see too many NEXUS cards, I really didn't expect them to recognize a card in existance for only 18 days.

Mr. Suit examined it very closely on both sides, then said he's never seen one like that before. I replied that I was not surprised, the cards were very new. Gave him the shortest logical explanation of it that I could.

He said since he'd never seen it, would I mind if he checked with the TDC. I followed him to the TDC, who said he didn't know it either. The TDC asked who issued the card, I replied CBP. Mr Suit then asked me if I had other ID, he didn't want to make me late. Again, I was not looking for a confrontation, I showed him my DL. He then asked if he could show the card to a supervisor. I said fine, as long as I could continue through security.

For those unfamilar with RDU, T2, the security area is wide open, so I could see Mr Suit talk to someone inside the secure area, then look for me in line. It was very quick, I hadn't even gotten to the bin stack yet.

He gave me back my card, thanked me for showing him. He said the supervisor he spoke with did have an email about the GE cards, but general training had not happened yet. He told me next time I come in, it should be accepted with no problem.

Well, next time is next Monday, so, we'll see. I had plenty of time to catch my flight and wasn't really worried about it. The two folks I dealt with, Mr Suit and Mr TDC were pleasant, just needed to verify the card. Again, I went into this in training mode.

Funny aside, in the Admiral's Club, a gentleman approached me and commented on the "difficulty" I had at security. I explained the situation. He was unfamilar with any of the Trusted Traveler programs, so we had a good chat about them.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 2:18 pm

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Bravo, on your attitude, and attempt for reasonable education. Now let's see if it sticks.

It's unfathomable that there isn't a full-color poster hanging on the inside of every STSO/TSM's office showing every possible form of government issued ID. All the TDC has to say is... "I don't know, yet I'll find out, one minute please". There really aren't that many unique cards, are there?! If you made it big enough, and the picture small enough, you could even include every state's DL. Sure, it would get confusing if you included every countries passport. Yet, still...
Old Aug 2, 2011, 2:48 pm

Programs: DL FO, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BobbySteel
If anyone who has an AMEX Plat and GE and did not acquire it this year with the AMEX fee credit, could you pay with the AMEX Plat and see if the $15 is credited back? I would try it but I doubt that AMEX would credit $100 and another $15 in one year. Then again their system may be set up to look for exactly $100 charged for GE.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by AdamS
If anyone who has an AMEX Plat and GE and did not acquire it this year with the AMEX fee credit, could you pay with the AMEX Plat and see if the $15 is credited back? I would try it but I doubt that AMEX would credit $100 and another $15 in one year. Then again their system may be set up to look for exactly $100 charged for GE.
It would be an interesting data point. I didn't use my AmEx for the $15 charge though, so no help there.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 7:55 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
Ordered mine yesterday...paid w my Plat AMEX... we shall see!

Originally Posted by Majuki
It would be an interesting data point. I didn't use my AmEx for the $15 charge though, so no help there.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 11:36 pm

Programs: AS 75k, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat, ect.
I tried to use my new card at PDX last weekend. I was leaving on two week Intl trip so I had my passport in my backpack if they wanted to press the issue but I figured I would try the new card to start with. It was very clear the agent had never seen the card before and my basic explanation as to what it was didn't get me very far. She called over another agent who at least knew the card existed but she said they were not trained on them until next week. I didn't really push the issue on if they would let me thru with it solely and they started to ask all sorts of questions as to what GE was and how I registered for it. I ended up pulling my passport out mostly to appease my wife who was behind me in line and they let me thru. During the entire process I didn't get the sense that the card was going to be denied in the future, it was just that they hadn't been "trained" on it yet. I'm back in the states late next week with a quick flight to LAS that I for sure will try the card again on.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 4:41 pm

Programs: Kettle Class
Smile

I'm not sure if this is quite what you were asking, but I have had GE since before the Amex Plat fee credit benefit was made available, and requesting the new RFID card as an existing GE participant triggered a $100 credit by Amex.

Originally Posted by AdamS
If anyone who has an AMEX Plat and GE and did not acquire it this year with the AMEX fee credit, could you pay with the AMEX Plat and see if the $15 is credited back? I would try it but I doubt that AMEX would credit $100 and another $15 in one year.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by progapanda
I'm not sure if this is quite what you were asking, but I have had GE since before the Amex Plat fee credit benefit was made available, and requesting the new RFID card as an existing GE participant triggered a $100 credit by Amex.
That sounds like a glitch in the system, but that's what we were wondering.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Status Free
RDU & PHL

Used my new card on Mon at RDU. TDC gave it the once over, showed it to the TDC next to her. She called to someone replenishing bins. He came over, said it was fine. Also said it was the first he'd seen and they were trained on it the previous Friday. The TDC said she hadn't worked that day, so that's why she didn't know it. Took about a minute extra. This was at about 9:30am, no line at all.

Used it today at B terminal, PHL. TDC didn't bat an eye.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.