Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Yet another crew who claims pax must stay in seats into DCA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2011, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Yesterday I was on a transcontinental US Airways flight into Reagan. About an hour and 15 minutes from landing, the lead FA announced over the PA that, because we were flying into Reagan, all pax must remain in their seats a full hour to arrival. Funny -- there was no such policy when I flew United ORD-DCA last Wednesday, or this very same US Air flight a few weeks ago.

I know there are occasional reports about flight crews saying things like this. I spent the end of the flight yesterday trying to figure out WHY. Any thoughts? Are the flight crews who make these announcements just particularly paranoid about terrorism/hijacking and trying to make themselves feel better? Are there job-related benefits to having pax stay in their seats? (If so, they weren't apparent to me last night -- the FAs continued job duties, such as collecting trash and doing safety checks, right up till final approach.) I just can't swallow it is simply that the flight crew (all 5 of them) were under the impression that the FAA policy was still in force -- it has been YEARS, and surely in the interim they would have been told either by superiors or colleagues ("um, you know that's no longer the rule, right?") about this fact.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 10:00 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
I think I'm hearing that this means that the PIC's operating docs aren't up-to-date. Usually not malicious or un-customer-friendly, just more about ignorance of the rules. Complain to US, give them the date/flight, they'll probably toss you 5k miles, and they should get with the PIC to have them update their docs.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by blondedawn
Yesterday I was on a transcontinental US Airways flight into Reagan. About an hour and 15 minutes from landing, the lead FA announced over the PA that, because we were flying into Reagan, all pax must remain in their seats a full hour to arrival. Funny -- there was no such policy when I flew United ORD-DCA last Wednesday, or this very same US Air flight a few weeks ago.

I know there are occasional reports about flight crews saying things like this. I spent the end of the flight yesterday trying to figure out WHY. Any thoughts? Are the flight crews who make these announcements just particularly paranoid about terrorism/hijacking and trying to make themselves feel better? Are there job-related benefits to having pax stay in their seats? (If so, they weren't apparent to me last night -- the FAs continued job duties, such as collecting trash and doing safety checks, right up till final approach.) I just can't swallow it is simply that the flight crew (all 5 of them) were under the impression that the FAA policy was still in force -- it has been YEARS, and surely in the interim they would have been told either by superiors or colleagues ("um, you know that's no longer the rule, right?") about this fact.
I had the same thing on a Delta flight a few years back. It's my impression that they just want to catch some z's.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Freakin' ridiculous that this is still happening.

Mike
Old Jul 20, 2011, 1:02 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Carry a printout of this and show it to the f/a the next time it happens.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Sounds like an FA who didn't want to provide any service for the end of the flight. Even when this rule was a requirement, it was 30 minutes, not a full hour.

Originally Posted by goalie
"The website is out of date."
Old Jul 20, 2011, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by goalie
If I keep printing out the policies from the TSA website and taking them with me, I'm not going to be able to lift my carryon into the overhead bin.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 8:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
File a complaint with CS. I haven't had it happen to me on US since about the date the restriction was lifted.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 8:54 am

Is it even possible that this FA has not flown with a single crew member (or a passenger) that, upon hearing her make this announcement, mentioned to her that it was several years outdated?
Old Jul 21, 2011, 9:02 am

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by TheGolfWidow
Is it even possible that this FA has not flown with a single crew member (or a passenger) that, upon hearing her make this announcement, mentioned to her that it was several years outdated?
Yes, quite possible. The majority of passengers will go catatonic at the mere mention of the word 'security'.

OP: contact US with the details.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Wally Bird
Yes, quite possible. The majority of passengers will go catatonic at the mere mention of the word 'security'.

OP: contact US with the details.
Perhaps...but what of the crew hearing her deliver it?
Old Jul 21, 2011, 1:44 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by TheGolfWidow
Perhaps...but what of the crew hearing her deliver it?
The announcements are usually made by the #1 FA and I very much doubt any of the subordinates is going to correct her/him. The flight crew does not hear cabin announcements.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by Wally Bird
The announcements are usually made by the #1 FA and I very much doubt any of the subordinates is going to correct her/him.
That's certainly not the culture if this was an "east" (pre-HP merger) US crew. Also, if this was on an Airbus, announcements made by a FA mic have the audio muted in all the galley speakers.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 9:22 pm

Actually, now that I think of it, the difference between the real announcements and the fake ones was that the Captain always made the real ones. The fake ones were always made by a flight attendent.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by mikeef
Freakin' ridiculous that this is still happening.

Mike
Gosh! Not another 30 minutes rule yet again!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.