Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denver, Medicines, and TSA - part II

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2011, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by bajajoes
Is it wrong to put your shoes in an outside visible pocket of your carryon bag?
I mean if you already have a similar pair in your carryon are they going to tell you one of the pair of shoes must be on the belt or in a bin?
Thanks for pointing that out; I had forgotten. I once went away for a short weekend trip, only carrying a backpack. I had a second pair of shoes buried at the bottom of the pack, and I was never asked to remove them.

Silly us, we forgot it's innate human instinct to immediately wear your shoe-bombs after you finish making them. It would never occur to a terrorist to pack them.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 5:17 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by jtodd
THEY

DON'T

CARE!

Whatever he/she says will happen to correct this issue, won't correct the issue. They may put a post it note on the front of the refrigerator in the break room, send a memo via email to the employees, or place a giant electronic billboard at each cp flashing the correct procedures. Nothing will change as long as the TSA, from top to bottom, is not held to the same standards as the rest of America, and with swift, pointed repercussions for not doing so. Arrest some of them for the assaults they take place in, take them to court for denying and interfering with citizens rights, firing them for any and all of the above, starting with Pistole and Napolitano.
The only thing that will make them start to care is a very public media story about someone who was endangered by the TSA or made a scene. Having a good lawyer that knows how to work the media (Paging Ms. Allred) is a big plus.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA, WN RR
One other possible mode of counterattack for us passengers would be a Bivens lawsuit. I have had several IPA beverages and am consequently too lazy to search for the cite. But this U.S. Supreme Court opinion from the 1960s refused to dismiss a lawsuit seeking to hold government actors personally liable for civil rights violations. Good luck trying to collect on a judgment following a favorable verdict, but one could make life hell for rogue TSA clerks, such as these in OP's case and many we meet on a routine basis.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 10:21 pm

Sadly the only way this BS with medication will end is somebody will have to die because the TSA refused to allow them on board. Even then I doubt changes will be made since it'll be deemed a "Tragic, isolated incident" and the screener will be "retrained in proper procedures."
Old Jul 25, 2011, 5:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PatrickHenry1775
One other possible mode of counterattack for us passengers would be a Bivens lawsuit. I have had several IPA beverages and am consequently too lazy to search for the cite. But this U.S. Supreme Court opinion from the 1960s refused to dismiss a lawsuit seeking to hold government actors personally liable for civil rights violations. Good luck trying to collect on a judgment following a favorable verdict, but one could make life hell for rogue TSA clerks, such as these in OP's case and many we meet on a routine basis.
No problem collecting. Win a Bivens lawsuit, file liens on their personal property to the limit of the award. The only problem being that most TSOs don't have much property worth the lien, but it would make the rest of their lives completely miserable. Liens show up on credit reports.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by dimramon
That is one I am unsure about. I carry an OTC moisturizer that's way above the 3.4 ounces. That's why I have the note.
They also told me the doctor should specify, with brand names, which moisturizers I am allowed to carry.
Because they can, of course, tell the difference between real Aquaphora, generic Aquaphora and a nefarious item made to appear as though it is Aquaphora...AND they can tell the difference between a real doctor's note and a fake doctor's note.

I have stopped carrying prescription medication in its bottle. I don't take much of it, most of the time none at all, but if it goes, it goes into a generic Advil bottle. There are hundreds of formulations of generic Advil and the prescription medication looks like at least one of them. I don't want to make my medication attractive to thieves.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 7:26 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TheGolfWidow
Because they can, of course, tell the difference between real Aquaphora, generic Aquaphora and a nefarious item made to appear as though it is Aquaphora...AND they can tell the difference between a real doctor's note and a fake doctor's note.

I have stopped carrying prescription medication in its bottle. I don't take much of it, most of the time none at all, but if it goes, it goes into a generic Advil bottle. There are hundreds of formulations of generic Advil and the prescription medication looks like at least one of them. I don't want to make my medication attractive to thieves.
I combine all four of my prescriptions in one prescription bottle that is not a bottle for any of the four prescriptions. It drives Mrs. INK crazy, but that is not the reason I do it. It has never been challenged.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 8:40 am

Programs: JMB Diamond, Hilton Silver, UAL
I am particularly disturbed by their "need" to handle your medications and open them to remove contents and inspect them. Even if above the permitted size, the doctor's leter should have totally sufficed to get you on to your flight with little/no delay. All of this is just posturing and bullying.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by rochel
the doctor's leter should have totally sufficed to get you on to your flight with little/no delay.
I disagree. A doctor's letter is so easy to fake that it should have no effect whatsoever. There needs to be a proper way to screen medications whether prescribed by a doctor or not. Why should it matter whether a doctor was involved?
Old Jul 25, 2011, 8:56 am

Except that there really is no legitimate need to screen medications. Ever.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by barbell
Except that there really is no legitimate need to screen medications. Ever.
True, if you can determine, without screening them, that they are indeed medications. Since you can't, some level of screening is needed.

(Obviously here, we're talking about medications that are large enough to require screening, and yes, we all understand the LGA issues ...)
Old Jul 25, 2011, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
And whether or not it is a coincidence, I can't tell, but I got my first SSSS ever today...
Old Jul 25, 2011, 4:03 pm

And whether or not it is a coincidence, I can't tell, but I got my first SSSS ever today...
The odds of that are very slim, but they are odds nonetheless, so who knows. Wait till your next flight and you'll have a better idea.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 5:38 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR

Well, you did make a scene and embarrassed someone. And you did let them take your ID, phone number and boarding pass, which means they could add you to a list.

You won't know for sure until next time, but SSSS does still happen (very, very rarely).

If you have been added to a list, file for redress. They may well have added you to the secret list solely out of retaliation to harass you. They know, at the minimum, even if you file redress and get taken off the list that they've cost you time and caused you hassle. Just because they can.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
Well, you did make a scene and embarrassed someone. And you did let them take your ID, phone number and boarding pass, which means they could add you to a list.

You won't know for sure until next time, but SSSS does still happen (very, very rarely).

If you have been added to a list, file for redress. They may well have added you to the secret list solely out of retaliation to harass you. They know, at the minimum, even if you file redress and get taken off the list that they've cost you time and caused you hassle. Just because they can.
Congratulations! You are now officially an Enemy of the State. Being on the "inside," I have seen how easy it is for anyone in the Fatherland Security bureaucracy to put someone on a list. There is very little oversight and very little justification required. Adding names to the various lists is what gets people promoted and what gets people cash bonuses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.