suspenders question

Old Jun 28, 11, 8:50 pm
nrr
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; 2MM AA Delta Platinum
suspenders question

I just switched from using belts to suspenders (my belt never set off the metal detectors, but to keep TSA people happy, I removed my belt--they also now require this.) When I got to the gate they wanted me to un-fasten one of the front clasps--why only one. As it turned out, the suspenders (which don't have that much metal) set off the detector, and I had to remove them entirely.

Last edited by essxjay; Jun 29, 11 at 3:41 pm Reason: clarifies title
Old Jun 28, 11, 10:05 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
The suspender store actually sells checkpoint friendly suspenders

http://www.suspenderstore.com/aifrsube.html
Old Jun 28, 11, 10:12 pm
nrr
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cordelli View Post

Thanks for the reference. On certain types of pants even metal clasps don't hold all that well. So, I wonder how well non-metallic ones would work?
Old Jun 28, 11, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
This makes me wonder what would happen were I to wear mine through security (I typically wear them with a suit since most of my suits are done with side tabs instead of belt loops) since mine are the button-on type. There's less metal on them than a belt (just the little length adjusters) but they're a huge pain to take off and put on, especially while wearing the trousers...
Old Jun 28, 11, 10:35 pm
nrr
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JumboD View Post
This makes me wonder what would happen were I to wear mine through security (I typically wear them with a suit since most of my suits are done with side tabs instead of belt loops) since mine are the button-on type. There's less metal on them than a belt (just the little length adjusters) but they're a huge pain to take off and put on, especially while wearing the trousers...
That's what happened to me, I had to take them off; yet TSA, only wanted me to un-hitch one of the front clasps, and said that suspenders (even with metal), don't set off the detector. Perhaps, they had their sensors set too "high" that day.
Old Jun 28, 11, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by nrr View Post
That's what happened to me, I had to take them off; yet TSA, only wanted me to un-hitch one of the front clasps, and said that suspenders (even with metal), don't set off the detector. Perhaps, they had their sensors set too "high" that day.
The difference is that mine don't fasten with metal, they have leather loops that button onto buttons inside my waistband which makes their removal more of a challenge.
Old Jun 28, 11, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by nrr View Post
I just switched from using belts to suspenders (my belt never set off the metal detectors, but to keep TSA people happy, I removed my belt--they also now require this.) When I got to the gate they wanted me to un-fasten one of the front clasps--why only one. As it turned out, the suspenders (which don't have that much metal) set off the detector, and I had to remove them entirely.
I have tried to explain WTMDs and how they work, and yes, un-fastening 1 part of the suspender will often allow someone to CLEAR the WTMD. Passengers actually told me this. It places possible metal at different entrance and exit times into the WTMD. Which is why you cant walk sideways into the WTMD.

And believe it or not, depending on the sensitivity of the WTMD, long, quick strides can also sometimes defeat the WTMD and result in no alarms. They are far from perfect machines.
Old Jun 28, 11, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by SATTSO View Post
I have tried to explain WTMDs and how they work, and yes, un-fastening 1 part of the suspender will often allow someone to CLEAR the WTMD. Passengers actually told me this. It places possible metal at different entrance and exit times into the WTMD. Which is why you cant walk sideways into the WTMD.

And believe it or not, depending on the sensitivity of the WTMD, long, quick strides can also sometimes defeat the WTMD and result in no alarms. They are far from perfect machines.
Yet since (even before) 9/11 no terrorist has successfully gotten an illegal metal weapon onto an airliner (remember, that until 9/12 box cutters weren't illegal so until the hijackings began the terrorists hadn't broken the law).
Old Jun 29, 11, 12:01 am

Yet since (even before) 9/11 no terrorist has successfully gotten an illegal metal weapon onto an airliner (remember, that until 9/12 box cutters weren't illegal so until the hijackings began the terrorists hadn't broken the law).
Thats a jaded and weak argument. But judging your response to my other comment, I am not surprised. Night.
Old Jun 29, 11, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by SATTSO View Post
Thats a jaded and weak argument.
No more so than the justification for not disbanding TSA once and for all. And, judging from your posts, my argument is considerably stronger than your spelling capabilities.
Old Jun 29, 11, 7:54 am

Programs: Platinum-CO-DL-Priority Club WN A-list Diomond-Hilton-BW Gold-Choice Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by cordelli View Post

Walmart also sells suspenders that are all plastic. They clip to your belt. Wear the belt loose, and clip the suspenders on.

I have 2 pair, and they work great in security.
Old Jun 29, 11, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
The difference is that mine don't fasten with metal, they have leather loops that button onto buttons inside my waistband which makes their removal more of a challenge.
Yes, this is the solution--get suspenders ("braces") that button inside your waistband instead of clipping. I have never had an issue with them nor been asked to remove them. The metal is a tiny amount and it's right there where they can see it with a wand.
Old Jun 29, 11, 5:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by Houston.Business View Post
Walmart also sells suspenders that are all plastic. They clip to your belt. Wear the belt loose, and clip the suspenders on.

I have 2 pair, and they work great in security.
Why would you ever wear a belt and suspenders.
Old Jun 29, 11, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by drewguy View Post
Yes, this is the solution--get suspenders ("braces") that button inside your waistband instead of clipping. I have never had an issue with them nor been asked to remove them. The metal is a tiny amount and it's right there where they can see it with a wand.
Exactly. On the rare occasions I wear a suit to travel, if I actually think about it in the morning I'll leave the braces off since my trousers have side tabs and will stay in place w/o additional "reinforcements," I mostly just think neither belt nor braces looks like I forgot something.
Old Jun 30, 11, 8:40 am

Programs: Platinum-CO-DL-Priority Club WN A-list Diomond-Hilton-BW Gold-Choice Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer View Post
Why would you ever wear a belt and suspenders.
Wearing my belt tight is uncomfortable. When it's loose, my pants won't stay up. These particular suspenders have plastic belt clips. I believe they're designed for use with a tool belt, but they look OK, and do the trick, and I can still clip my cells on the belt.

Search this Thread