Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Good reason to keep your eye on your stuff at the checkpoint

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Good reason to keep your eye on your stuff at the checkpoint

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2012, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
iPad Thief's punishment: Pay $350, take class & complete 75 hrs of community service

An update:

The Orange County Register:
Former Fullerton officer guilty of iPad theft
The four-year veteran no longer works for the department

Published: Feb. 9, 2012 Updated: 4:18 p.m.

A short quote:
A former Fullerton police officer has been convicted of third-degree grand theft, a felony, after she stole an iPad from a security checkpoint at an airport in Miami.

Kelly Janeth Mejia, 25, must complete a theft class, make a $250 donation to the Boys & Girls Club of Miami, complete 75 hours of community service and pay $100 for the cost of prosecution, said Lorna Solomon, spokeswoman for the State Attorney's Office in Miami.
and
Mejia was an officer with the Fullerton Police Department when she was arrested on May 2 at Miami International Airport on suspicion of stealing an iPad that belonged to another traveler. At the time, she had been with the department for about six years, four of them as a sworn officer.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 5:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
An update:

The Orange County Register:
Former Fullerton officer guilty of iPad theft
The four-year veteran no longer works for the department

Published: Feb. 9, 2012 Updated: 4:18 p.m.

A short quote:
A former Fullerton police officer has been convicted of third-degree grand theft, a felony, after she stole an iPad from a security checkpoint at an airport in Miami.

Kelly Janeth Mejia, 25, must complete a theft class, make a $250 donation to the Boys & Girls Club of Miami, complete 75 hours of community service and pay $100 for the cost of prosecution, said Lorna Solomon, spokeswoman for the State Attorney's Office in Miami.
and
Mejia was an officer with the Fullerton Police Department when she was arrested on May 2 at Miami International Airport on suspicion of stealing an iPad that belonged to another traveler. At the time, she had been with the department for about six years, four of them as a sworn officer.
So if she does everything 'right', in a year the record is clean and she's eligible for employment...as a TSO?
Old Feb 12, 2012, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
So if she does everything 'right', in a year the record is clean and she's eligible for employment...as a TSO?
No, I don't think so. 10 years.

Edit: Whoops... nevermind! There are exceptions. However, her employment record should give a red flag. I hope.

Last edited by scott523; Feb 12, 2012 at 6:06 pm
Old Feb 12, 2012, 7:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by scott523
No, I don't think so. 10 years.

Edit: Whoops... nevermind! There are exceptions. However, her employment record should give a red flag. I hope.
This is one of the reasons serious attention should be paid to background checks, and new background checks should be done regularly. (We keep hearing that when TSA was just getting up and running, in the first few years, background checks were ignored, delayed, cursory. Even though we keep reading about 'longtime' TSA employees getting in trouble, no one seems willing to admit that maybe it would be a good idea to immediately do a thorough background check on every current employee at TSA. Maybe this would root out some of the long-term employees who never should have been hired in the first place).

If her (now former) employer is like many public and private employers, it will only confirm the dates of her employment if asked - it will not divulge the reasons for her departure (fear of lawsuits). A cheap, outsourced background check won't go any further. The type of background check airport workers and TSOs undergo should at least include a basic internet search, which would quickly reveal that she is not the ideal candidate for a TSA position.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 9:03 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Lesson #1 - don't take out your iPad and put it in the bin. I always keep it in my bag and haven't yet been told it needs to come out.

Lesson #2 - don't succumb to the NoS. This is another reason to always opt out, as you actually get to stand there and point out your belongings, which will (usually) be collected by a TSA employee and brought over to a table in front of where you're being massaged. You can always keep your things in sight, short of the time they're going through the x-ray machine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.