Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

"Your ears have to be visible in your passport photo"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2010, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, AA

So I went to get a passport photo today, and the female clerk at Walgreens told me to put my hair behind my ears. I have long hair, and although it partially covers my ears, they are still quite visible. She kept insisting the application would be refused and returned if my ears don't show because it hinders the facial recognition program. There no such requirement on the State Dept. web site - is this something new or was she merely misinformed?
Old Jul 6, 2010, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, TSA Disparager Gold, going for Platnium
misinformed, badly. The DOS website and elsewhere on PP photos says no such thing. My passport 10 years ago had hair that covered my ears. It didnt get rejected.

http://www.onthegosoft.com/passport_...ifications.htm

http://www.travel.state.gov/passport...uide_2081.html

http://travel.state.gov/passport/gui...ition_874.html
Old Jul 6, 2010, 5:20 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Nobody mentioned that as a requirement when I had passport photos taken last week. My hair fully covers my ears.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by Night Owl
and the female clerk at Walgreens told me to put my hair behind my ears.
She only works at Walgreens now, but she is ambitious. She aspires to a career at Walmart.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 6:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Gargoyle
She only works at Walgreens now, but she is ambitious. She aspires to a career at TSA.
Fixed.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 6:44 pm

Perhaps she is a Star Trek fan...:
Old Jul 6, 2010, 6:49 pm

Programs: Welfare
What if you don't have ears?
Old Jul 6, 2010, 6:50 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
"Just take the photo."
Old Jul 6, 2010, 7:10 pm

I do think it should be a requirement to have the ears visible in passport photographs. Ears are a very useful reference point when an immigration officer compares a passport photograph to the person standing in front of him.

Last edited by yyzvoyageur; Jul 6, 2010 at 8:16 pm
Old Jul 6, 2010, 7:49 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
It actually appears on some embassy websites for getting visas to visit the US -

American citizens should bring two identical photos when they apply for a U.S. passport. The following minimum requirements must be met or your application will not be processed. Please see the paragraphs below for more details.

1. The photographs must not be older than six months
2. The photographs must measure 2x2" (5x5 cm)
3. The photographs of the applicant's head must be between 1" to 1 3/8" (2.5 to 3.5 cm) when measured vertically
4. The photographs must have a white background
5. Must face the camera directly, with both ears visible

But then they say it's preferable

It is preferable that ears be exposed.

Though in their seven page official guide to passport photographs, it doesn't mention ears, and uses at least one example of somebody whose hair covers their ears.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 8:34 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, AC, Nexus, TSA Pre
So I went to get a passport photo today, and the female clerk at Walgreens told me to put my hair behind my ears. I have long hair, and although it partially covers my ears, they are still quite visible. She kept insisting the application would be refused and returned if my ears don't show because it hinders the facial recognition program. There no such requirement on the State Dept. web site - is this something new or was she merely misinformed?
She is confused. The ear-showing-thing is a requirement for photos submitted to immigration for visas. Passport photos are a different animal.

When I got my green card years ago, I needed a photo with the ears exposed. No such requirement when I got my passport a few years later.

nrg
Old Jul 6, 2010, 8:43 pm

The lady at Walgreens said my teeth couldn't be visible.

the examples from the state department have teeth...
Old Jul 7, 2010, 9:54 am

Programs: Willamette Valley Cropdusters Silver Elite, National Tent Frequent Stay program, Ed's Rent-a-tractor
So I went to get a passport photo today, and the female clerk at Walgreens told me to put my hair behind my ears.
Originally Posted by gj83
The lady at Walgreens said my teeth couldn't be visible.
Note to self--Do not get passport photos taken at Walgreens.
Old Jul 7, 2010, 10:04 am

Programs: *wood Gold
With the Walgreens employee's penchant for making up useless rules that only serve to harass and annoy while adding no security to the overall process, what makes anybody think that this person isn't already a TSAer who's moonlighting at another McJob?
Old Jul 7, 2010, 10:24 am

$9 or whatever they charge for a photo is nuts.

I am renewing my passport and had a friend at work take my picture with my digital camera against a white wall.

I used http://www.epassportphoto.com/ to frame and center them. Brought them to Walgreens and printed them for $1.

Funny enough there's no 2x2 option for photos on the Walgreens kiosk- smallest is a "wallet size." I asked the girl to just enter her passport code so I could get 2x2. They printed to that size and the charge was for two regular prints.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.