Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Anyone watching DHS Senate Committee Hearing "See Something, Say Something..."

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2011, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, United

The hearing is titled "See Something, Say Something, Do Something: Next Steps for Securing Rail and Transit" and the witnesses include John Pistole, Peter Boynton and Stephen Flynn.

Written testimony is available here.

I was only able to watch from 10:20 a.m. on, due to work meetings, so I missed most of the discussion about expanding DHS programs to rail, sea, roads, etc. and the effectiveness of the See Something campaign.

I liked some of Stephen Flynn's testimony - very strong comments that the TSA/DHS must stop alienating the public and even more strong comments to quit reacting to yesterday's threats (his written testimony lists 4 problems with DHS/TSA implementation of its policies, etc. and the alienation of the public comment was brought up repeatedly. It did make an impression.)

I thought Rand Paul was great - he went after Pistole for the TSA comments that flying is a privilege when it is not (he went into a bit of the case law on that matter), and the patdowns. Pistole stated in response that while it was a little premature to be mentioning this, he'll be making an announcement soon about a change in the procedure to screen children. Pistole, IIRC, didn't address the "flying is a right" mentality he and his organization touts.

Sen. Landreau, while expressing dismay about the budget cuts, did go after Pistole that the travel industry is very concerned about the TSA/DHS policies and how it's chasing foreign tourists away from the US.

Anyway, I didn't see a thread, and I didn't know if anyone else was watching and if so, any thoughts/reactions?
Old Jun 22, 2011, 9:06 am

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
On-Line now at:
http://hsgac.senate.gov/public/index...ngs.LiveStream
Old Jun 22, 2011, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In Pissy's written testimony, he said "privacy" twice and "civil liberties" once in a document containing 2507 words.

From Flynn's testimony:

How Not to Advance Rail and Transit Sucurity:In crafting a way forward in rail and transit security, we should first avoid four-missteps that have marked the post-9/11 approach to homeland security.

The first rule is to avoid alienating the very public that security officials are obligated to protect. This is a lesson that was learned the hard way by the U.S. military in Iraq and it is now imbedded in the Army Field Manual that guides counterinsurgency operations. Getting the public to submit to new security measures as a condition of their gaining access to transportation systems is relatively straight forward. But coercing compliance has the downside of creating passivity and often generating resentment. Alternatively, when the general public understands and views an effort to advance security as appropriate, they will actively collaborate in achieving its goal. When it comes to rail and transit security, federal officials should pursue efforts that engender the support and active involvement of the riding public and the operators they serve.
The video of the hearing is still up on the Committee web page.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
In Pissy's written testimony, he said "privacy" twice and "civil liberties" once in a document containing 2507 words.

From Flynn's testimony:
How Not to Advance Rail and Transit Sucurity:In crafting a way forward in rail and transit security, we should first avoid four-missteps that have marked the post-9/11 approach to homeland security.

The first rule is to avoid alienating the very public that security officials are obligated to protect. This is a lesson that was learned the hard way by the U.S. military in Iraq and it is now imbedded in the Army Field Manual that guides counterinsurgency operations. Getting the public to submit to new security measures as a condition of their gaining access to transportation systems is relatively straight forward. But coercing compliance has the downside of creating passivity and often generating resentment. Alternatively, when the general public understands and views an effort to advance security as appropriate, they will actively collaborate in achieving its goal. When it comes to rail and transit security, federal officials should pursue efforts that engender the support and active involvement of the riding public and the operators they serve.

The video of the hearing is still up on the Committee web page.
Way to go Pisstole, you've failed miserably at this, as well as most of the rest of your job.

I'm watching the video now.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 11:59 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
When it comes to rail and transit security, federal officials should pursue efforts that engender the support and active involvement of the riding public and the operators they serve.

Do I detect a new government advertising campaign in the making, e.g.

Co-operating Cheerfully at The Checkpoint To Save Lives?
Old Jun 22, 2011, 12:33 pm

Getting the public to submit to new security measures as a condition of their gaining access to transportation systems is relatively straight forward. But coercing compliance has the downside of creating passivity and often generating resentment. Alternatively, when the general public understands and views an effort to advance security as appropriate, they will actively collaborate in achieving its goal.
Nice theory; probably the original was written on a bar napkin. Is the American public now viewed as insurgents? Traveling will amount to running the gamut of a poorly conceived military operation as performed by TSA.

This is a lesson that was learned the hard way by the U.S. military in Iraq and it is now imbedded in the Army Field Manual that guides counterinsurgency operations.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 6:08 pm

Here's Rand's grilling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-elw...layer_embedded
Old Jun 22, 2011, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA ex-EXP (buh-bye!), HH Gold, SPG Gold, UM Go Blue
Originally Posted by RATM
My estimation of Rand Paul just went up considerably. He makes a smart, coherent, well-informed case. There is a lot of stuff I disagree with him on, but he seems like a good spokesman for this issue.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pissy never did answer Senator Paul's question about flying as a right or a privilege. Also, he regurgitated worn out and irrelevant examples why they grope young kids and people in wheel chairs. Senator Paul's staff even had a poster-sized picture of a clerk groping a child...well done!
Old Jun 22, 2011, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Pissy never did answer Senator Paul's question about flying as a right or a privilege. Also, he regurgitated worn out and irrelevant examples why they grope young kids and people in wheel chairs. Senator Paul's staff even had a poster-sized picture of a clerk groping a child...well done!
I especially liked that little touch by Paul, he was prepared. Pistole on the other hand just did his normal, lie when possible and don't answer at all if nothing else.
Old Jun 23, 2011, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I'm hoping he runs for president one of these days. He's definitely got my vote!

Bruce
Old Jun 23, 2011, 7:36 am

Just emailed him thanking him for his TSA work. He allows those from other states to email him.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 8:32 am

Programs: UA Gold MM
So this is the first time (I'm sure I've missed it before) that I've actually heard someone quote case law in trying to refute the "flying is a privilege not a right" argument.

I'm not skilled in legal research - does anyone have links or more info on the cases referenced by Sen. Paul?
Old Jun 24, 2011, 10:16 am

Programs: PR Premier Elite
Originally Posted by coyote
So this is the first time (I'm sure I've missed it before) that I've actually heard someone quote case law in trying to refute the "flying is a privilege not a right" argument.

I'm not skilled in legal research - does anyone have links or more info on the cases referenced by Sen. Paul?
Not case law but actual Federal Law

TITLE 49 U.S.C. § 40103 : US Code - Section 40103: Sovereignty and use of airspace

(a) Sovereignty and Public Right of Transit. -
(1) The United States Government has exclusive sovereignty of airspace of the United States.
(2) A citizen of the United States has a public right of transit through the navigable airspace.

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/uscode/49/VII/A/I/401/40103
Old Jun 25, 2011, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by bdschobel
I'm hoping he runs for president one of these days. He's definitely got my vote!

Bruce
Well, his father is running right now! Support him through the primaries and we'll be set.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.