Wiki Posts
Search

Toddler Pat-down at YYC

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2011, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: One Pass Gold, Delta Medallion , Avis, Hertz, Budget, most hotels
Toddler Pat-down at YYC

CATSA this time. Too bad they're following TSA directives so well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPUaF18_XBQ
Old Jun 16, 2011, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are blue gloves an international identity mark for terrorist?
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:04 pm

I don't see how such a light, swift, half-hearted patdown could have possibly found anything. That screener was just putting on the appearance of doing the patdown, probably knowing how distasteful his job was. On one hand, I'm glad to see screeners phoning it in on these ridiculous procedures, but on the other hand, it makes the whole thing even more creepy. These folks are tasked with running their hands all over childrens' bodies just so they could say they did.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:52 pm

Programs: PR Premier Elite
Disgusting!!!!! Has the whole world gone mad?
Old Jun 17, 2011, 6:44 am
Suspended

At least mom was allowed to touch and comfort the child while the "pat down" was being done. This was nothing more than a "going through the motions" excercise, which I am going to hope was a good decision on the part of the screener.

I couldn't understand the dialog. Did I hear that the photographing of the event was not allowed?
Old Jun 17, 2011, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Are blue gloves an international identity mark for terrorist?
Dunno about that, but they are the cheapest. The nitrile gloves come in a number of different colors - light blue, dark blue, purple, pink, white, black, dark green - but the blues ones, IIRC, are the cheapest. I think the black ones are the most expensive.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by doober
Did I hear that the photographing of the event was not allowed?
Correct. Even though there is no actual law disallowing it, CATSA formally forbids camera use at the checkpoints.

And it can't be challenged because unlike the USA, use of a camera in Canada isn't constitutionally protected.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 2:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MG2779
Correct. Even though there is no actual law disallowing it, CATSA formally forbids camera use at the checkpoints.

And it can't be challenged because unlike the USA, use of a camera in Canada isn't constitutionally protected.
OK, then why are we viewing the video? Why wasn't the camera confiscated by CATSA?
Old Jun 17, 2011, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by doober
OK, then why are we viewing the video? Why wasn't the camera confiscated by CATSA?

It would be better to say the CATSA frowns on it but knows there is nothing they can do about it. As well, CATSA knows that it has no powers of seziure.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by unLogical
It would be better to say the CATSA frowns on it but knows there is nothing they can do about it. As well, CATSA knows that it has no powers of seziure.
Though I do suppose, if they wanted to, they could get an LEO over and s/he would take the camera away or ensure the person deleted the video.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 11:36 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Though I do suppose, if they wanted to, they could get an LEO over and s/he would take the camera away or ensure the person deleted the video.
This is not the USA.

A police officer would not get involved as it isn't a criminal matter (barring any "disturbing the peace" or interfering with the screening process" allegations). They should be even less inclined to seize and tamper with personal property.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 5:22 pm

If you are allowed on private property, and you don’t know if photography is allowed (no signs, owner hasn’t told you), assume photography is allowed until told otherwise.

Once you are informed by the owner, you must stop taking photos. The owner has no rights to any photos taken before being told. They are your personal property. You do not have to delete, surrender, or even show them.
Source. This is based on Canadian law. Police cannot force an individual to erase photographs, nor can they confiscate them, without a valid warrant.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by firequall
Source. This is based on Canadian law. Police cannot force an individual to erase photographs, nor can they confiscate them, without a valid warrant.
In the U.S. they can't generally can't confiscate your camera without a warrant either, and certainly not delete photos. After all, if they do, it's destroying evidence as well as possible personal property.

This brings up a big question for me, though. I thought you couldn't opt-out in Canada - only choose between MMW and backscatter if selected. Did that change?

Another dilemma for me too. While I certainly won't welcome the thought of air travel in the U.S. for now, I had been thinking of driving up to Windsor or Toronto for getting off this continent. Now I'm not sure it's worth it.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by CelticPax
I thought you couldn't opt-out in Canada - only choose between MMW and backscatter if selected. Did that change?
For the most part, Canadian airports have only implemented MMV technology. I was selected last December at YOW and was given the option of going through the machine or receiving a pat-down (including a brief cursory wanding). In no way was I pressured to choose one over the other and all individuals were professional and courteous.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 7:24 pm

Programs: TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by firequall
For the most part, Canadian airports have only implemented MMV technology. I was selected last December at YOW and was given the option of going through the machine or receiving a pat-down (including a brief cursory wanding). In no way was I pressured to choose one over the other and all individuals were professional and courteous.
To the best of my knowledge, Canada has only implemented the MMW scanners (L3 ProVision without ATD)
There are no known Chertoffimizer Cancer Boxes in Canada and I think they are outlawed (citation needed).
And yes, no problem opting out. No barking, no "OPT-OPT OPT-OUT MALE ASSIST !!!!!!". A reasonable patdown and you're outa there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.