FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues-686/)
-   -   Which Countries Require Shoe Removal? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/practical-travel-safety-security-issues/1221200-countries-require-shoe-removal.html)

phedre May 31, 2011 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by alexb133 (Post 16479583)
Generally speaking, if you depart form Canada, you are not required to remove your shoes, unless you fly to the USA

Yeah, I only have to take my shoes off if I'm flying to the US. Any other destination, shoes stay on unless I think they'll set off the alarm - I have a number of sets of heels like these that will set the WTMD off, so I take those off regardless.

ArizonaGuy May 31, 2011 5:03 pm

AKL-SFO 29 May: No shoe removal. No belt removal. My netbook stayed in its neoprene sleeve.

Contrast with the domestic route:

SFO-PHX 29 May: Shoes and belt off, I was reminded that US air travel is insane. :) And Team SFO asks a stupid question which I didn't answer.

father_ted May 31, 2011 5:55 pm

The DUB secondary shoe removal point in US preclearance is especially funny, as you're not required to go through a WTMD or remove coats/belts etc. at that time.

Mimi111 May 31, 2011 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by exbayern (Post 16478473)
It's actually really sad to see little American children conditioned to shoe removal in Europe. Last year at LHR a little boy was almost frantic because his mother didn't remove her shoes. (She didn't need to)

In Germany last week there was a mother with five children in front of me; the oldest was about 8-9 and asked 'Mommy, do we need to take our shoes off again?' and Mommy said 'Yes'. I piped up with 'actually, here you do not' but Mommy ignored me. The little girl turned around and I pointed out several people going through the WTMD without removing their shoes.

Just then Bob and his wife cut the line in front of Mommy, and Bob promptly removed his lace ups and ordered his wife to do the same, even though security told him it wasn't necessary. This caused a chain reaction of shoe removal and Mommy had the child help remove four other pairs of shoes.

I felt really bad, but I walked through as I do every time without taking off my shoes.

Saw the same mess in YYZ on Saturday. A group from Florida, flying to YVR made a mess of the checkpoint. No real fault of their own, mind you they were told several times...All in running/tennis shoes, took a while to get them off, then back on since they weren't required to remove them in the first place, pockets full of items, didn't know what they could leave in/on or not...caused quite the delay.

Himeno May 31, 2011 8:22 pm

Shoes off in Australia only if they alarm when going through the WTMD.

A few times I've seen American's going through AU checkpoints automatically take their shoes off when they are putting everything else into trays.

mulieri May 31, 2011 8:28 pm

At ZRH, the LX flights to the US have a segregated area where you have to go through security again, including removal of shoes.

Also, they have a bunch of small rooms in that area for pat downs (not used as primary) for those suspected for smuggling Swiss chocolate :eek:

exbayern May 31, 2011 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by mulieri (Post 16481759)
Also, they have a bunch of small rooms in that area for pat downs (not used as primary) for those suspected for smuggling Swiss chocolate :eek:

Are you sure that isn't to check for US bound Kinder Surprise Eggs? :D

So it sounds like US bound flights, (except for Sri Lanka and possibly a few more) and in places like BRU perhaps all flights leaving from that area. I wonder if that is an airport design issue which necessitates that.

SFOSpiff May 31, 2011 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by exbayern (Post 16481773)
Are you sure that isn't to check for US bound Kinder Surprise Eggs? :D

Just take the toys out first. The chocolate is awful anyway. :p

guflyer May 31, 2011 9:18 pm

At ICN, it seemed that everyone was expected to remove shoes. There, they gave us special sandals to wear under our socks as we went through the WTMD. I could not tell whether this was required, but it appeared that everyone going through my security line was doing this. I was actually surprised that I did not find more about this on Flyertalk.

Mabuk dan gila May 31, 2011 10:06 pm

Philippines is pretty much 100% shoes off, belts off, pockets completely emptied followed by a WTMD and a cursory non-sexual pat down performed by a polite security guard. Security lines are segregated by gender so women and children go through the women’s line and men go through the men’s line. That's for all flights. Varying secondary gate checks including secondary WTMD and bag checks are randomly applied. PAL departures nonstop to the USA of course go one step further with a secondary gate check with 100% serious bag checks, laptops sometimes need to be powered up to prove they are functional laptops but no intrest is paid to the data, a 100% "drop your shoes off and pick then up later on down the line" shoe checking station, another WTMD and secondary non-sexual pat down and a document checking station.

All in all, even if it is over the top it is not time consuming and at least the employees are polite and good natured even if they are prone to making up weird rules.

phedre Jun 1, 2011 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Mimi111 (Post 16481160)
No real fault of their own, mind you they were told several times...All in running/tennis shoes, took a while to get them back off, then back on

I don't get that - if you KNOW you're going to be taking your shoes off, why wear lace up tennis shoes that take a while to put back on? I can understand some confusion over rules if you're an infrequent flyer, but if you "know" (as they did) that the shoes have to come off, make it easy on yourself!

I always wear shoes I can drop on the floor and slip on, at most I have to adjust a strap.

BubbaLoop Jun 1, 2011 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by phedre (Post 16484539)
I don't get that - if you KNOW you're going to be taking your shoes off, why wear lace up tennis shoes that take a while to put back on? I can understand some confusion over rules if you're an infrequent flyer, but if you "know" (as they did) that the shoes have to come off, make it easy on yourself!

I always wear shoes I can drop on the floor and slip on, at most I have to adjust a strap.

Sometimes when flying very far and long, convenience for the TSA pass is not as important as long-time comfort or convenience of transport (such as wearing your bulkiest shoes to get more packing space).

Besides, why should we be forced to change our travel attire for a stupid rule? Change the rule!

Mimi111 Jun 1, 2011 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by phedre (Post 16484539)

Shoes are not required to be removed for domestic flights in Canada. I can't assume they knew. But if they "assumed" they would have to remove them, then yes, I agree with your statement. I, like you, when flying into/out of the US, wear easily removed shoes.

They were a large group of older folks on a fun trip. Couldn't be bothered to say much about it aside from "Really, you don't have to take them off" but they were so conditioned, I guess, that they did anyway. :)

edit: On the flip side, perhaps those were the most comfortable shoes for travel. Very good point BL.

Mimi111 Jun 1, 2011 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by BubbaLoop (Post 16485582)
Sometimes when flying very far and long, convenience for the TSA pass is not as important as long-time comfort or convenience of transport (such as wearing your bulkiest shoes to get more packing space).

Besides, why should we be forced to change our travel attire for a stupid rule? Change the rule!

^

DAL4550 Jun 2, 2011 5:07 am

Shoes stay on in Hong Kong and Shanghai even when traveling to the US.