Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Christopher Elliott interviewing Blogger Bob - what questions should he ask?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2011, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Christopher Elliott has posted to his facebook page that he's going to be interviewing Bob Burns, aka "Blogger Bob". He's asked for suggestions of questions. Here's the ones I've given him so far:

Ask him if any prohibited items have been detected hidden in the genitalia of passengers. Ask him if touching the genitals of passengers has resulted in any discoveries of prohibited items.

Ask him the purpose of TSOs running their hands through the hair of passengers.

Ask him what TSOs are supposed to do with items that they are unable to "clear" due to testing positive for trace amounts of explosives. If these items are deemed too dangerous to carry onto an aircraft, then why do they simply toss them into a nearby trash bin? If they are suspected of being explosives, shouldn't a bomb squad be called, and the passengers isolated and searched?

Ask him what happens to the millions of prohibited yet benign items that are confiscated every year...such as expensive liquor, Swiss Army knives, and technician's tools?

Ask him why passengers are routinely blocked from videotaping the pat-downs of their companions by TSOs who tell them that it's illegal to do so, even though he's stated himself on his blog that it is legal and permitted by TSA's own posted rules?

What other questions should I suggest to him?
Old May 17, 2011, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by LeeAnne
Christopher Elliott has posted to his facebook page that he's going to be interviewing Bob Burns, aka "Blogger Bob". He's asked for suggestions of questions. Here's the ones I've given him so far:

Ask him if any prohibited items have been detected hidden in the genitalia of passengers. Ask him if touching the genitals of passengers has resulted in any discoveries of prohibited items.

Ask him the purpose of TSOs running their hands through the hair of passengers.

Ask him what TSOs are supposed to do with items that they are unable to "clear" due to testing positive for trace amounts of explosives. If these items are deemed too dangerous to carry onto an aircraft, then why do they simply toss them into a nearby trash bin? If they are suspected of being explosives, shouldn't a bomb squad be called, and the passengers isolated and searched?

Ask him what happens to the millions of prohibited yet benign items that are confiscated every year...such as expensive liquor, Swiss Army knives, and technician's tools?

Ask him why passengers are routinely blocked from videotaping the pat-downs of their companions by TSOs who tell them that it's illegal to do so, even though he's stated himself on his blog that it is legal and permitted by TSA's own posted rules?

I like most of these, but I would change the one in bold to be a little more specific, such as have they caught any explosives in the genitals of citizens or children.
Old May 17, 2011, 3:38 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Why does a TSO get a pass when being rude to a passenger when a passenger saying the same thing to a TSO gets threatened with interferring with the security process?

When will independant investigators be allowed to examine a AIT machine for radiation exposure?
Old May 17, 2011, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by LeeAnne
What is the purpose of random gate checks?

Why do you need to show your boarding pass after you move through the scanner at some airports and not others.

Why are the bins at ORD numbered? (Only kidding on this one, but I'd love to have an answer - what a total waste.)
Old May 17, 2011, 3:42 pm

Programs: OnePass
When are TSOs going to get real training on acceptable documents?

When are TSOs going to get rudimentary customer service training?

Why does the shoe carnival still exist, and what is being done to end it, especially since the US is practically the only country that does it?

Why doesn't the TSA actually answer our concerns when we take the time to fill out a complaint card?

When is the independent, peer-reviewed study on the Nude-o-scopes going to be done?
Old May 17, 2011, 3:45 pm

Ask for some clarification regarding refusal to talk to BDOs.

Ask why passengers are being harrassed with TSOs requesting to test their beverages instead of TSA dealing with the airside vendors to make sure nothing dangerous is being put into drinks.
Old May 17, 2011, 4:02 pm

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by celticwhisper
Ask for some clarification regarding refusal to talk to BDOs.
^ on that. Specifically push on if passengers are required to verbally interact with TSOs and/or BDOs. Can a passenger be denied travel for refusing to answer questions? Do not accept "passengers must cooperate with screening" as an answer.

Also would be nice to get his feel for who is really writing some of the PR drivel that has been posted to the blog. My guess is it's someone higher up than Bob. Some of the stuff that has been posted is either or both outright lies or so unbelievable as to be comical to a thinking person.
Old May 17, 2011, 4:03 pm

Please ask Blogger Bob if he truly believes the propaganda he writes.

Please ask him how his family members and friends feel about TSA scanners, pat downs, etc.

Please ask him how he sleeps at night.....
Old May 17, 2011, 4:18 pm

I'm trying to compose a good question or two about patdowns on children.

Why should TSA screeners suddenly be granted an exemption from the long established "good touch, bad touch" and "stranger danger" rules taught to children when parents cannot choose or vet their child's screener, and are threatened with fines and not flying if they don't consent?

How do you respond to the criticism that the TSA's thorough patdowns of children (especially but not exclusively patdowns presented as a game) groom children for sexual predators?

Please edit for clarity as you deem necessary.
Old May 17, 2011, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Why does TSA refuse to have an independent open scientific study of the real threat of liquid explosives and then listen to the results?

Why does TSA refuse to have an independent open scientific study of the voodoo science of BDOs and then listen to the results?

Other countries allow shoes to remain on the feet of fares and planes are not falling out of the sky daily. Can he explain?

Why did they get rid of one of the few effective low cost tools they had, the hand wands?

Chertoff is making good money promoting expensive machines DHS is buying. Any watercooler scuttlebutt on what part of the security-industrial complex Napolitano plans to go to work for and subject flyers to when she cashes out?

Why does TSA think they desreve paramilitary Honor Guards with white gloves and ascots?

Does Bob know the definition of the term "Propaganda Village?"

Is Bob familiar with the Fourth Amendment to the Constitition?

What does Bob think of his FT nickname "Blogdad Bob"? Does he think badly of the person who started it?

After he feels he schmoozed over Mr. Elliott, can he refrain from his usual self congratulatory Puppy Post?
Old May 17, 2011, 4:22 pm

Ask him if the male TSA Screener is touching the penis and testicles on a male passenger and if a female screener is touching the labia and clitoris on a female passenger when the screener says they are going run their hand up the inner thigh until they meet resistance. I want someone to get TSA to admit out loud what resistance is.
Old May 17, 2011, 4:24 pm

Programs: Holiday Inn Plat NW gold AA gold
Originally Posted by Lara21
Ask him if the male TSA Screener is touching the penis and testicles on a male passenger and if a female screener is touching the labia and clitoris on a female passenger when the screener says they are going run their hand up the inner thigh until they meet resistance. I want someone to get TSA to admit out loud what resistance is.
Am flying out of Denver tomorrow and will most likely get the full treatment. I will ask that question of the TSO performing the pat down and get back to you all with his answer.
Old May 17, 2011, 4:30 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
From this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ted-theft.html

Why can't the TSA come out and say "the TSO in question was fired" (or some thing similar) as opposed to "We will move swiftly and decisively to end the federal careers of any employee who engages in illegal activity on the job." which appears to be the std response for all incidents when a TSO is arrested for breaking the law on duty (and sorry, but protecting the privacy of the TSO does not come into play as the arrest, court dates and etc are a matter of public record so there is no privacy involved)

and from this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...down-wife.html

Why do TSO's repeatedly tell passengers that it is against the law to film and/or take photographs at the checkpoint (or in this case a husband filming his wife getting patted down) when the TSA publicly states here: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav..._pictures.shtm

Taking Pictures at the Checkpoint

TSA does not prohibit the public, passengers or press from photographing, videotaping or filming at security checkpoints, as long as the screening process is not interfered with or slowed down. We do ask you to not film or take pictures of the monitors. While the TSA does not prohibit photographs at screening locations, local laws, state statutes, or local ordinances might.

Taking photographs may also prompt airport police or a TSA official to ask what your purpose is. It is recommended that you use the Talk To TSA program on tsa.gov to contact the Customer Support Manager at the airport to determine its specific policy. Or, if you are a member of the press, you should contact the TSA Office of Public Affairs.
and here as well under "Security: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/custome...rial_1029.shtm

Q. Is it okay to take pictures or videos inside the airport and at a checkpoint?
A. TSA does not prohibit photographs at screening locations; however, local laws, state statutes, or local ordinances may. We recommend contacting your local airport authority in advance to ensure you are familiar with their local procedures. While TSA does not prohibit the public, passengers or press from photographing, videotaping, or filming at screening locations, TSA may ask a photographer to stop if they are interfering with the screening process or taking photos of X-ray monitor screens in a checkpoint. The same guidelines apply to media. Members of the press should contact TSA's Office of Public Affairs, at 571-227-2829, prior to filming or taking photographs at a security checkpoint.

While there is a difference between taking a casual photo and someone conducting surveillance, travelers should not be surprised if TSA or local law enforcement inquires about their actions. This is important to ensure the safety of the traveling public and something our officers may do as part of their security mission.
Old May 17, 2011, 4:34 pm

I would like to know exactly what is required of a passenger to traverse the checkpoint and where I may read the rules that I am supposed to cooperate with. In the USA there are not supposed to be any secret laws, yet at a checkpoint there appears to be many.

If I am required to do something or be held accountable for following the laws and rules of a checkpoint, then I should be able to read ALL those rules prior to showing up at a checkpoint.

If it is "SSI" then I have no way of knowing of that rule or law, and I will not follow secret laws.

So, in a nut shell, ask Blogger Bob what rights do passengers have at the entire airport now that the TSA has migrated away from checkpoints into most areas of the entire airport. Must I succumb to everything they demand of me, or can I blow them off?

All the rules, regulations, and laws should be readily available for any person wishing to abide by the law. Ask him where I can read them.
Old May 17, 2011, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA 1k, LT Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA 1MM
Ask him why they are spending money on Behavior Detection Officers (BDO's) when they haven't even shown to be effective (from the GAO report)?

Do they really think that a Security Officer with 30-50 hours of Behavior Detection can really pick out a terrorist? IF so why did the 9/11 terrorists pass through multiple times 8 of the BDO staffed airports prior to the hijackings w/out being detected?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.